Software
Houzz Logo Print
msfiorello

Help with this living room space....

13 years ago
this is our living room is very long so we decided to divide it into two space the tv area and a small reading area...the thing is we don't know how to make the reading area look better....what are we missing....what should we change we need help...if you guys have some good ideas please let me know! Thank you

Comments (10)

  • 13 years ago
    Oh btw the entry door is just by the console table and it seems like its too open and we feel like the space needs to close a little so is not just the entry and right away the reading area with the console
  • 13 years ago
    I would hang some wall art above the console and ad some white floating shelves above the chair. I would put a modern floor lamp in the corner and a have the lamp shade be red to make it pop, also maybe put a bright accent pillow on the reading chair. to break it up from the entryway you could put a small entry/key table on the tile i would recommend a metal table to distinguish it from the console.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi there. I am wondering what is happening on the other side of the room and whether you could rearrange your furniture in there to act as a divider? I like when a Sofa is placed with the back to the area you want to separate and a console table is placed up against the back. I feel like a really cozy beige wooly rug would really warm the reading nook up and make it feel like you want to be in that area. I am not sure what your budget allows for, but two comfy chairs facing each other with an ottoman would be lovely. Also a book shelf with some books and a bookscape would add visual interest. I will attach a few pics I found on Houzz. Happy decorating!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the comments! I love your idea Jeanette in fact that was my first idea unfortunately we had to put the sofa in that direction because the tv plugs are only on the side walls and the rest is open space here is the whole living area picture
  • 13 years ago
    Perhaps an open shelving as a divider when entering might work. Not too wide though.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi..Almost all reading corners have chair, small side table, and a floor lamp behind/beside chair. And, a place for books. I'd like to see some photos or a piece of art between the shelf and the corner and I also like the idea of a special little area rug for that corner. Oh..I'd stack some of your favorite books (an maybe a magazine rack by the chair) on the floating shelf on the wall.
    I'd also center your console between the two windows and get a bit bigger lamp that is "unique".
    Modern Home Office · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would hang red curtains. Purchase a bookcase or two in place of the console. Move the console near the door in the other room. Have sconces or table lamps on either side with some large art. Put a floor lamp near the reading chair. Push the sofa against the wall and have a larger area rug to support it. Flank the sofa with the two side chairs together. This would allow a nice walk thru space for people to flow. All the best!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and flank the sofa with end tables with table lamps. If storage is an issue the end tables could serve dual purpose.
  • 13 years ago
    I see the sofa can't be pushed back b/c of the flooring. Oops. The end tables would still work with lamps. Just run the cords under the area rug. Hang art on the wall behind the sofa and over the tv.