Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vsalzmann

Ever feel like kitchen is missing something?

vsalzmann
11 years ago

don't get me wrong. I LOVE my kitchen. As much as I did a year ago when I finished it. But something about the walnut walls surrounding the windows bugged me.

At first I thought it was the backsplash. Maybe I should have done walnut there as well? Or maybe I should have run the tin around the windows?

Well- I finally decided it is the blank unfinished space over the windows and the puny trim next to the walnut. SO-- dh goes out of town this weekend and I get busy with the miter saw and scrap molding I have.

What do you think?! (sorry for the giant picture). Something about it just seems . . . Finished to me.

Comments (35)

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Wow! That's a very nice transformation.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Very nice molding. Love the BS behind range AND the walnut walls.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

You did that yourself?!! Looks great. I'm impressed.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

So you're telling us you did this yourself!!!??? Please come visit me!! I want that.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

And all painted to match too? Don't tell me you know how to do the returns at the ends.

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. You got me. I didn't do the returns on the end. I could probably get away with never doing them because you basically have to climb on the cooktop to see them. But dh said he would do them when he gets home.

The shelves were no big deal. I screwed a cleat across the walnut for the shelf to rest on (made of scrap molding turned upside down). I screwed the crown into the existing window molding and then placed a scrap wood shelf across the cleat and crown. A couple of screws into the top to secure board to cleat and done. (then caulked and painted, of course). So easy. Biggest problem was that the windows weren't exactly the same height (I didn't put those in!), and the difference was exacerbated when the crown curved toward the hood. Turning lemons into lemonade, I added a second board that is wider to the one on the left. That gave me similar height AND a wider shelf to put things on.

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

I'm impressed that you did it yourself, but even more impressed that you figured out that's what your kitchen "needed". It looks wonderful, and yes, much more finished. Good eye!

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My favorite thing is that I can put my little knickknacks without cluttering the counter. Including my no whining sign (the only words in my decorating).

And my grandmother's homemade crawfish magnets that hung in her kitchen my whole childhood. They look like lobsters on that little platter. Cracks me up ever time I walk by.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Awesome!! I am impressed that you did that!

Nancy

• Bunny
    11 years ago

So easy.

Understatement much?

• Catherine Roddick
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I'm moving away from knick-knacks up high, and then you go and make it look amazing. It's lovely!

• jenswrens
    11 years ago

That is exactly what your kitchen was missing! Beautiful! You should be so proud. :-)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Very talented lady! I'm certainly green with envy of your work.

I follow your tutorial, but do you have any "in progress" pictures to match a visual? What white trim paint did you use?

I bet DH was pleasantly surprised and happy. To think I felt accomplished doing crawl space study/need list while DH was away...no visible accomplished work product at the end. Very nice.

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Norcall-cat- that is such a compliment!!! I am generally moving toward throwing knickknacks out (I am starting to hate clutter) but somehow this just felt right. I feel so much better that it looks ok too.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Ooooo, I bet that balances the room very nicely, great job! Every time I see your kitchen a little part of me wishes I got the walnut I wanted, but it wouldn't look right in this house (it's too nice and wouldn't be appreciated when we sell).

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done! Love the magnets.

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparkling water- I didn't take in progress pics. One day I'm going to blog and get in the habit of doing it.

My trim paint is behr hi-gloss ultra pure white. My walls are behr flat powdered snow. It's a good mix.

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a basic picture of what I did. My top boards were much wider, and the back piece was a coved molding.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

"I screwed a cleat across the walnut for the shelf to rest on (made of scrap molding turned upside down)"

Thanks for the picture. I've often read how creatively scrap molding is used in carpentry. You really dressed your kitchen well.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Very impressive. I agree with everyone above! I wouldn't have known what to add, but that really dresses things up very nicely!

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Wow - looks great! You did a fantastic job! (I couldn't do that for all the tea in China!)

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Just what the Dr. ordered! Very finished looking! EXCELLENT WORK!!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Love the addition! Makes your kitchen more personal and inviting.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Very smart. It makes a huge difference.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Perfect!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Like the others, I'm impressed. Where did you learn to handle carpentry tools?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Geeze!
    I thought the first picture was nice.
    Nice.
    Even with your beautiful cabinets, nothing demanded an Oh,Wow!

Then...
    With just that finishing touch, you went to WOWOWOWOWOW!

Great job.
    And even better eye! :)

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Self-taught. I got tired of waiting for DH to do projects and just started trying it on my own.

I remember the first project we did 18 years ago- painted a spare bedroom. This year I painted the entire outside of my 3-story house (mostly by myself).

Just do it. You will amaze yourself with what you can accomplish.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like it! Did you leave the top shelf as a 1x6 or rip it down?

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Okay, I thought it was great before, but those crawfish magnets are a hoot! Love, love, love. What a great special something that every space needs.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Actually, I really like your transformation a lot also, Vsalz. I've been wondering about doing something like that but wondering if I had enough room. How much vertical space did you end up with over the shelves? Whatever it is, it's clearly "enough." :)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

your's has always been one of my favorite kitchen. How about a shot from the same angle as your before shots? Would love to see from a distance. It's beautiful.

• enduring
    11 years ago

It is perfect! It looks finished.

• vsalzmann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did not rip down the 1x6 on the left shelf. I have about 8" above the shelf.
    Old photo:

New photo:

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

"Self-taught. I got tired of waiting for DH to do projects and just started trying it on my own.
    I remember the first project we did 18 years ago- painted a spare bedroom. This year I painted the entire outside of my 3-story house (mostly by myself).

Just do it. You will amaze yourself with what you can accomplish."

Made me smile.