Software
Houzz Logo Print
irvine91

Kitchen tile backsplash

13 years ago
Need to decide on a colour for my tile backsplash in newly fitted kitchen. I have high gloss ivory units and wooden worktops. Going for rectangular tiles which come in either black, cream or white. Should I take the tiles up to the base of the wall units or just have approx two rows of tiles? And then need to decide on colour for walls. Grateful for advice!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Would definitely recommend going up to the cabinets. It looks much more finished and would be more functional. For a small area like this the added cost would be well worth it
  • 13 years ago
    Love the tile combo on the right...warmer, colors that complement the wood counter tops. Take it all the way. I would like to see the tile go on up around the stainless venting. Hard to go wrong with the current version of medium to dark beige on the walls, the cabinetry will really pop and really look clean. I am sure some decorator will recommend a color for you. Altho' the stainless vent is a nice contemporary touch, a stainless micro-hood would have been a nice choice to free up some counter space...the final frontier!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Going all the way up to the cabinets will look much better--maybe even go up to the hood base over the cooktop. You have a great looking kitchen so far. It will look great once your backsplash is installed.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Didn't want to push it..but definitely agree...if you can run the tile up the sides and behind the hood. The color mix that you show in the photo might actually be interesting. It would give a sort of "Arts and Crafts" look to go along with the wood counter top.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would go all the way to the top ( including the hood) as others have suggested. A black tile will really darken it up. I'd stay with a classic 3x6 subway.
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely all the way up to the moulding above the hood! Know you have your tile picked out somewhat, but thought this tile below would be a pretty one to consider with its sparkle.

    According to "ds design studio", if you are interested it is:
    "Oceanside Geologie 1"x 2" Offset in High Desert http://www.glasstile.com/geologie_palette.aspx For best results, ask your tile installer to use white glass tile mortar."

    [houzz=
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I think we've decided on white walls/ceiling with black tiles, which we'll take up to the bottom of the units and behind the hood as suggested - only decision now is whether to go with black or white grout?

    Thanks again for all the comments/ suggestions!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi. If you cannot change the lighting in there, I think you are right, you need color. what bright color can you live with? lime green, orange, red? Irvine, I'd like to see you go with something more friendly and inviting. Kitchens require us to be in there too much already. Have some fun with colored tiles, if you stand it. :=) I'll post an example.
  • 13 years ago
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/28896/Kitchen-backsplash check out the pictures here, esp Vidre Project that this company did. I just read you already decided. Well, then it won't hurt to look, right? :=) ENjoy your new kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    Would love to see an after picture! No one mentioned how difficult it is to maintain black tile...good news it's very easy to change down the road!
  • 13 years ago
    My baking fanatic friend hated black - never ever got all of the flour off it.
  • 13 years ago
    Nice job!!! Very attractive.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It turned out wonderfully! What a beautiful space.
  • 13 years ago
    Great backsplash choice!
  • 13 years ago
    Looking at your kitchen, I would choose the lighter tiles on the left. You want to take the tiles up to the cabinets covering the entire backsplash.

    Color for the walls...well, what color schemes do you already have? The entire home should blend together. But, You can take one of the tiles and match the paint to it to make it go. I would use the color of the kit. cabinets as my trim color in the house. White next to the off white cabinets will make them look dirty.

    Good luck! It will be really nice when you're done.
  • 13 years ago
    It is done
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thanks for the comments guys.

    @saa419 - we've finished the kitchen now, the only thing left to do is add some blinds. I think were going to go with rolling blinds but we're not sure what colour to go for, if anyone has any suggestions. :)

    We had an interior designer suggest a mustard colour at one point but I'm not so sure about that!

    Edit- Roman blinds, not roller!
  • 13 years ago
    Solar shades would be nice, especially if you have a nice view. Cuts the glare but keeps things light and cheerful. Check them out!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks I'll take a look at them. I actually made a mistake in that last post - we're looking at Roman blinds, not roller blinds!
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, then. Take a look anyway. I love roman blinds too. I like a relaxed roman shape.
  • 13 years ago
    looks great !