Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrushka_ma

Vellux/velux blankets made in USA?

patrushka_ma
12 years ago

I am one of the few (it appears) people who loves Vellux blankets. The only ones I have seen in the stores are junk made in China. Has anyone seen a high quality vellux blanket lately? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

I do not like the Vellux blankets, but, I do have some of them. Martex used to be USA made. It no longer is. As far as I know the only company that is USA made is West Point Steven's Vellux Blankets. Sears did sell them at one time. I dont know if they still do.

• les917
    12 years ago

I don't know if this is accurate, but this website says the West Point Home vellux blankets are still made in the USA, all the other Martex products are off shore:

our american store

I remember having one in high school - hated the feel of it. But to each their own!

• Kathie738 P
    12 years ago

A heads up on your Vellux blanket..do not store them in a space bag or in a hot area, they have to breathe.
    I stored one away for the Summer in a space bag in the attic and when I went to use it in the Fall I washed it before putting it on the bed...when I opened the washing machine I couldn't believe my eyes, the whole blanket de-laminated! All there was was shredded mesh and pounds of wet fuzz...the blanket was a black queen size so you can imagine the mess.I'm lucky it didn't kill my machine.
    I called Martex and they replaced the blanket but the person I spoke with said to never store them in an air tight bag or a hot area...I had the care tag and this was not mentioned on it and they said it wasn't an uncommon problem and they wished the tag was changed to state this.
    They recommended washing them so they don't dry out.

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

I was in JC Penney late yesterday, looking at some sheets, so I checked out their blankets, since the ones that I have are made in USA, were bought at JCPenney, and are Martex brand. JC Penney still sells Martex, but, they now say that they are imported. I think they seem a bit thinner than the ones that I have, although, they are pretty similar. I ended up not buying any sheets, since I needed black ones, and was in there returning a set of black microfiber ones I had bought. Used one time for guest, that wore flannel pj's. Only way to get the fuzz off them is by using a lint roller, and I will be darned, if I am going to use a lint roller on sheets. Until I can find some decent ones, I picked up a set of cheap percale from Family dollar for that bed. Not what I plan on leaving there since it is the guest bedroom, but they are cheap enough to work for extra once I find some good ones.

• maid_o_cliff
    12 years ago

I really love my vellux blankets, needed to replace one on my bed for a different color, went BB&B and was shocked their were none.
    Has anyone bought the martex ones from Penneys?
    I see they do say, imported, one guess would be China.

maid

Here is a link that might be useful: martex

• maid_o_cliff
    12 years ago

OOOps, guess I must have been away from my computer, my apologies cat ky.

maid

• Loretta Shum
    4 years ago

i love my vellux blanket, but I don't want the ones that are made in China. Now I check e-bay to see if anyone has one to auction off that is made in USA. So sad, everything is made in China and their Vellux are not up to par.

• wright2847
    3 years ago

I was wondering about the vellux blankets. I have been buying these blankets for 30 years and lately, I found lots of holes in them and discolorations. Apparently, there is no quality control for the ones made in China. I am very disappointed. I reported this and I still get the lesser quality blankets. Many companies look for cheaper ways to produce their products and sacrifice the high quality. I have 2 old vellux blankets made in the USA on my bed right now that are 21 years old and still intact.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert