Software
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

How did you choose your username?

14 years ago

I always try to figure out certain user names. Mine is aktillery. My first name is Amy, middle initial K and Tillery, my last name.

Anyone want to join in?

Sorry if this has been done before. :-)

Amy

Comments (120)

  • 14 years ago

    i was probably feeling somewhat overwhelmed when i chose this!!! i know tho that i also played off of one of my guys' passwords when he was young --- made it easier for me to remember!
    the 3 is the # of kids i have!

    i also remember that shortening of name dispute! all i can think is life must be more difficult for those who get bent out of shape about trivial issues...

  • 14 years ago

    When I first joined GW, I joined the pond and aquatic
    forum, and since my main man has always been my partner
    in all our hobbies, I joined the pond forum as CliffandJoann
    cause ponding is a shared endeavour, as well as everything else we do... :)
    So, that's how my user name came about.

  • 14 years ago

    My guys. I woulda picked a shortened form if I had known how long I would be on the forums. no hurt feelings here about shortening it!
    cooper- big golden; bailey smaller golden

  • 14 years ago

    My niece always called me Yaya as she couldn't pronounce Sheila so I took Yayagal for my chat sites and now everyone calls me Yaya lol.

  • 14 years ago

    I live in an area in Washington state called Kala Point. It is just south of Port Townsend.

  • 14 years ago

    hhireno, I always thought you lived in Reno (and were saying hi to it) :)

  • 14 years ago

    probookie - I was thinking something else more - er - Soprano-ish!

    Pal - good one, but I'm sure you look like the "after" not the "before".

  • 14 years ago

    Choosing usernames is a 'procedure' for me as the ones I prefer always seem to be taken and my brain seems to go on hold when I am searching for an appropriate name. Fortunately one of my 'takes' on the word 'luck' was available when I signed on here. I don't really believe in luck as it's often defined and don't lead a charmed life but know I am blessed in many ways so, in a way, I do feel lucky. Hence, I am luckygal, often shortened to Lucky or LG which is fine with me.

  • 14 years ago

    Daisy....I absolutely remember you posting as Budge!!!!

    Amy

  • 14 years ago

    Mine is the name of my first horse and the year I bought him, and I use it for all my accounts because it's always available - though I think many people assume I'm a man, which I'm not :)

  • 14 years ago

    Daisychain--rotflmao! I remember your previous username budge, too!

  • 14 years ago

    nancybee,
    I always thought you lived in Reno (and were saying hi to it) :)
    and I stutter? hhi, instead of hi.

    No, I usually live in Pennsylvania. When I'm lucky I'm spending time in HHI. Where I still adore what we did for the renovation. I spent way too much but it brings me so much joy.

  • 14 years ago

    My DH's name is Don and my name is Debbie. Years ago he was trying to come up with a name for his business and make it unique enough that he could get a web address with that name. So he came up with the first two letters in "Don Loves Debbie - Dolode"

    He's so sweet!

  • 14 years ago

    Fun thread....
    No originality here~ my name is Lori, lol.
    My friend's father always called me Glory Bee~~

  • 14 years ago

    Ha ha ha daisychain01.

    I am so very happy to see that many of you wonderful folks wouldn't get bent out of shape to have your nick name shortened. I happened to the unlucky person that shortened someones nickname over on the organizing forum and was run up one side and down the other by the person I did so to as if I'd called her a nasty name. I certainly didn't mean any harm.

  • 14 years ago

    hhireno, I always enjoy your funny posts. And I'm glad you're so happy with your HHI renovation! It sounds wonderful.

  • 14 years ago

    Mine gets shortenend to "Treasure" from time to time... I rather like it! lol

  • 14 years ago

    I'm not a regular poster here, but I'll share. My name is shortened versions of my boys' nicknames. ODS is Pork Chop, and YDS is Ham Bone ~ porkandham.

    I'm totally fine with people shortening it. Most people on another board I visit call me P&H.

  • 14 years ago

    We live in Indiana, and I'm a female = hoosiergirl. Not too creative, but it works, and I can remember it! I don't care if anyone shortens it, and I hadn't thought anyone would mind if I did theirs. Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch about things like that! JMHO!

  • 14 years ago

    It's my favorite niece's nickname.

  • 14 years ago

    My grandmother's name. My own real name is Deborah.

  • 14 years ago

    Hhireno, I always associate you with Hawaii!

  • 14 years ago

    These are very funny. I've been a lurker for years and never been a regular poster as I have zero decorating skills :) angel is a shortened version of my husbands long italian last name and 9603 is our anniversary.

  • 14 years ago

    Boring here. Robin's my name, and I live in the Dc metro area

  • 14 years ago

    Bumblebeez,
    It must be the rustle of my grass skirt making you think Hawaii. But, no, I'm not in Hawaii as much as I might like to be.

  • 14 years ago

    When I first joined in 2004 I used my last name as my user name. We were building our current home at the time and I posted photos on a regular basis. It is a rather rare name and my SIL who lived in another state happened across photos I had posted online doing a search of our last name. After that every time we visited, she had just taken on a new decorating project that looked suspiciously like my own home. She let it slip during a visit that yes her new wrought iron stair balusters where the exact same as mine because she had used the link I had posted on GW for someone asking about them. Now that I knew how she was copying my decor, I stopped posting for a while and then came back with a new name. We moved 6 times in 13 years hence.... homeagain.

  • 14 years ago

    Wow, I guess I missed the thread where someone got upset over a shortened name (but that won't keep me from doing it! I'm usually in a hurry when I type).

    I've enjoyed reading this thread and thinking that, gee--I wish I'd tried to be "original" when choosing a username. My name is Tracey, and since plain old Tracey was taken, I added my last initial. I didn't chose to use lower case, though--I think that was "chosen" for me when I registered.

    I figured my name was self-explanatory and expected folks to call me "Tracey" when replying to me, but I guess because of the stink over the shortened username, most are careful to call me tracey_b. Really--I'm gonna get mad if you use a capital T! And don't dare leave out that underline!! ;-)

  • 14 years ago

    Pal, multi-layered under the suface indeed. ;)

    Mine is just first name and birth month and date. very boring. Now, if I had it to do over, I wonder what I would choose...

  • 14 years ago

    Nickname from coworkers and friends long ago, because I used to try to find a silver lining in a situation and/or be helpful with a positive spin, give someone the benefit of the doubt, etc. It stuck. Used to also be Mary Poppins.
    Except when they wanted to complain and not really find any positive solutions, just kvetch and be negative, then it was youre such a freaking pollyanna. I cleaned it up.

  • 14 years ago

    When I joined GW, I was mom to only one pup, Homer (left). Molly has since joined our family.

  • 14 years ago

    Mine used to be my husband's first initial, my first initial and last name. However, it was too easy to search and I found people "stalking" me online. So, I chose flymom because my youngest son is working on getting his pilot's license (did his solo last week, yay!) and 65 is the year of my birth.

  • 14 years ago

    Shelayne is a nickname some friends use for me, as a combo of my names.

    Except for Ikeafans, I use other "hats" or "nics" elsewhere, as I once had a stalker. No thanks to that again.

    This is a fun thread! :)

  • 14 years ago

    Homersmom...Love the picture your 2 Labbies...so sweet:)

    Mine not too original...my name + name of our Chocolate Lab, Mocha (no longer with us, but always in my heart)

  • 14 years ago

    Mine is because my name is Megan and I truly get nuts when it comes to decorating hence nutmeg...the xo is just a kiss and a hug..LOL

  • 14 years ago

    Megan, I am so glad you explained your name...I've been thinking it was nutmeg love and wondered who or what nutmeg was or if you truly loved the spice that much!

  • 14 years ago

    This is great ... Mine is our family name combined with our dog's name ... Roxy.

  • 14 years ago

    My previous username was lovemylilhome but as happens in life lots of changes. I sold the little house and moved from a rural setting to the big city (pop est.60,000).
    Thus citywoman. Into a condo that I really love love love.

  • 14 years ago

    I have been on the garden side for years- new here. This is what I wrote on my profile page: "The garden hose is my nemesis. It refuses to be a good sport; it catches on chunks of broken concrete that I scatter about as retaining walls, pieces of flagstone that I toss onto my garden paths, and bricks that I line beds with. It kinks, it nooses tender plants, it resists mating with the upsy-downsy sprinkler or any other perfectly acceptable companion. It leaves brown snaky spots on my lawn and allows itself to be used as an ant superhighway to my arms. It wads itself up into a knot and tries to break my hips. It overturns potted plants and scares the dog." I hate hoses.
    I have been called Hoe, Ho, Hose, and Hosen :D
    Renee

  • 14 years ago

    Nini is a nickname my mom has always called me...my really good friends "stole" it from her and call me that, too. :) 804 is the house number of the house we built last year when I joined GW. I love being called "Nini" so feel free to drop the 804 when addressing me!

  • 14 years ago

    Renee, I am so with you about hoses...very funny! maybe you should post that on the divalicious thread on the conversations side. Glad you explained your name... I've been very curious about it.

  • 14 years ago

    ROTFLMAO, Renee (Hosenemesis)!!! Now that I know the story behind it (and can totally relate,)yours is my very favorite username! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Lynn

  • 14 years ago

    Homersmom...love those two cuties!! I love it when members post pics of their poochies. :-)

  • 14 years ago

    I love when this thread is done....always fun. I remember learning that new architectural term from Pal a while back. And I, too, always associated hhireno with Reno.

    When I first joined years ago, I was Leighbs, short for my high school nickname Leighbowitz. But after being away for a while I couldn't remember the pw, so I rejoined as HudsonLeigh. 'Cause my nickname is Leigh, and I live near and love the Hudson River.

    And, for the record, I never mind if anyone shortens it....

  • 14 years ago

    Although I'm kind of a rare poster, I'm here all day, every day. I came by this wonderful forum by way of Southern Living boards and someone I remember as Hanart....I think maybe for her kitties? I'm not sure...but I was so SO glad she told me about this forum!! I'm "Gigi" to my grandbabies....and there were 7....well, now we're expecting #9! Guess that's what happens when you have 5 children and they are all close in age...gee whiz, I'm "only" 56 years old! AND two of the kids aren't even married yet.....oh, my. Christmas is pretty expensive...and loads of fun! If I could figure out the whole picture thing, you all would hear a LOT from me...oh, my real name is Kathy and I live in the Texas Panhandle. Lynn, I always think of you in NM as we frequently visit Santa Fe...would love to have a second house there! This is a fun thread!

  • 14 years ago

    I wish fishpants would explain her name. I love it and it always makes me laugh!

  • 14 years ago

    This is a great thread!! Love the backstory of everyone's name. Mine is very "unoriginal". . nickname and initials. . and was all I could think of at the time. . .but (to me) it just sounds choppy and doesn't "flow", and has no personality. . . but I have received wonderful, fabulous, marvelous (hear the choirs of angels singing??) advice, so it certainly has served me well!!

  • 14 years ago

    olychick - LOL LOL LOL well now that you mention it, I do like to add nutmeg and cinnamon to pound cake batter!! LOL

  • 14 years ago

    Fun thread! Cindy is my name and mocha was my dog. I made the name when he was just a baby and that was 12 years ago. I was drinking a mocha valencia from Starbucks when I found him at the shelter - and loved his "chocolate face". He's gone now, but I'm keeping the name.

  • 14 years ago

    Fun thread!

    My name on here is not very creative. I made up the name for another forum when we purchased our house and we were getting ready to make our move within the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I decided to use it on this and other forums since it was easy for me to remember.

  • 14 years ago

    Mtn = Mountain
    Rd = Road
    Redux

    We moved two states but our address went from from North Mountain Avenue to Mountain Road, where we gut-renovated and expanded our home.