Software
Houzz Logo Print
jonlei

Living Room Help

13 years ago
I need help please with the side of my living room shown in the picture. I want to put a very nice mirror over the table beside the armoire. What should be on top of the armoire if anything? And the blank wall on the other side is a dilemma, too. I have a very beautifully framed painting I have thought about using. I lean towards "dressy" looks. Thank you so much for any help.
Jonlei

Comments (22)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Would you be able to purchase another table that is left of the armoire? If so, move one of the lamps to it; put the floor lamp somewhere else. Then over each table put a mirror.
    Textured Silver Frame Mirror · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I have this exact armoire in my LR on a long wall also, and my furniture is in the same placement too. Since the armoire is like having a monolith in your living room, I have placed two large scaled, wood framed nature prints (one is A.J.Casson, White Pine, the other is a watercolour of two bright cardinals on a berry-covered tree branch) flanking each space beside the armoire. I was lucky enough to have my husband install pot lights in the room and he place two of them directly over the prints to hi-light them. Having the large prints really does let your eye carry around the room instead of just stopping at Stonehenge! Beautiful room by the way :)
  • 13 years ago
    The pictures are a very nice idea. Should I move the black table if I use pictures? I really like this room except for this wall. It has driven me crazy. Thank you so much for your idea.
  • 13 years ago
    First get rid of the fussy little lamps. Your armoire looks way out of scale. Maybe you could use it in your bedroom? I last saw an armoire in a living room in about 1965.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Good answer Navadan however Armoire's became very very popular "again" in the 90's...which wasn't that long ago.
  • 13 years ago
    The two lamps on the small table look too crowded for the space. If you need more light, try placing a mirror above the table, as was previously suggested, and try only one lamp on that table. Move the floor lamp to the corner . Try a classy looking large "railroad station" type clock over the armoire, if your ceiling space permits. If the rooms electrical wiring permits, you could also try sconce lighting in this room.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, I would move the table, the dark wood tends to draw most of the attention. Pictures would be a great idea and you needn't spend tons of money. Start checking out antique stores or even Ikea has beautiful large prints on canvas that will do the job. If you can't put in pot lights, you can purchase lamps that are designed to hang out and over artwork.
  • 13 years ago
    Suzanlush, how high are your ceilings where the pot lights are installed. My ceilings are 12 feet over this wall. Pot lights are in the ceilings on two sides of this room, but they are 9 feet high. There are 2 ceiling fans, also, with one of them almost right over the armoire. See the attached picture.
  • 13 years ago
    They are 8'. The potlight on the far left should be able to hilight the prints. Beautiful home!
  • 13 years ago
    Suzanlush, what is the height of your prints? Also, is the top of your prints lower than the top of the armoire or level with the top????? Thank you.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would not add another table beside the armoire. There is a lot of wood element on this wall aready. The best idea is really to have a nice artwork on the right side to balance the existing table. Either a large scale one or two (one above the other). I would also tone down a bit the objects on the table. Adding the mirror above it is an option or may be have your mirror above the mantel and bring the artwork to the space above the table. Good luck, Laura
  • 13 years ago
    Urban Ideas, I think I am leaning towards a nice piece of art on the right or on both sides. I did not think about there being too much wood on that wall. Thank you for the tips. They are much appreciated.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Add identical tables to both sides of the armoire. This will dress up the room little. You could make the tables wood with glass to match the glass table you have. The one in the picture by the wall was what I was thinking. Above the side tables put either pictures or mirrors.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, the prints are about 2.5 by 3' and they don't match and aren't exactly the same. They just provide the heaviness I needed to take the attention away from the armoire. They are not taller than the top of the armoire, I like prints to be at eye level. Just make sure they're centred in the spaces between the armoire and the adjacent walls. You're room seems larger because of the 12 foot ceilings and if I had a high ceiling like that I would still do the same thing :)
  • 13 years ago
    Another thought, lol. If you did want the prints to be the same height as the top of the Armoire, I would do two prints on either side, one above the other. I love the look of filling a wall like that.
  • 13 years ago
    I love stacking prints, too, suzanlush. Thank you sooooo much for your help. Keep your good ideas coming:)
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, here's one more then, lol. An old wood or brass antique/vintage bird cage, left totally empty and placed on top of the armoire (don't centre it, but more toward the left) would look beautiful in that room!
  • 13 years ago
    I have added two more pictures in which I have tried to give an idea of more of my living room. My sofa which is across from the mantel and two chairs is a deep red. I also want to change paint color. Right now it is Ben Moore, Summersdale Gold. Thank you so very very much. I have received a lot of good ideas.
  • 13 years ago
    jonlei....
    Try the lamp on your table in picture above, by french door, on the table beside the armoire. The shade from the floor lamp and the table lamp will be the same shape and help balance that wall.
    I like the dark table to the left with the photos. Then a piece of artwork or mirror above the table. I think you could leave the floor lamp to the right and then a piece of artwork hung to the right of the armoire, something rectangular, that would balance both sides and you would not necessarily need another table. However, have your tried the table by the french door to the right of the armoire? With that table lamp? You could then move the floor lamp behind the chair by the french door.
    You have a beautiful room.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for the compliment, I tried the floor lamp by the French door, and I liked it, but the table looked lost beside the armoire. I am leaning towards pictures for each side of it.
  • 13 years ago
    That sounds like the best idea. Other lighting in the room will probably be sufficeint. Maybe the picture lights as mentioned above, for the artwork.
    Good luck.