Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane123_gw

Benjamin Moore Aura Caponata - anyone tried this colour?

jane123
14 years ago

After sampling what seems like a trillion purple paints - including some of the new Martha Stewart ones at Home Depot (all a bit too grey), Shantung from Devine (pretty but too magenta-ish) and four or five of the Aura colours, Caponata is the current fave. It is a rich, purple-brown colour, almost chocolatey. Has anybody out there used this colour? It is pretty dark and saturated but we are thinking of it for an accent wall in a bedroom and maybe using BM Silver Fox or Abalone on the other walls. If anyone has used it do you think it would pair better with a grey (Silver Fox/Abalone) or with more of a tan/sand colour. One further thought is that Farrow and Ball have put out some very pretty colour combos for 2010 including one for Brinjal (similar to Caponata?) which pairs it with an acid yellow/green colour so maybe this is also an option ........ aargh .....

Comments (6)

• jesst
    14 years ago

Great color scheme, very current! Check out Bossy Color Blog, there's a recent entry mentioning very similar colors. Check out BM Mount Rushmore Rock too. The violets will look great with either grey or tan. I would choose a tan that leans toward grey instead of yellow. Good luck!

• jane123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you jesst - I had a quick peek at Bossy Color Blog and there is a whole lot about accent walls too - and the advisability of them. I will check out BM Mount Rushmore Rock too.

• J F
    last year

A dozen years later, we are on the verge of painting our '50s ranch house bm caponata. Did you end up using this color? It's hard to find examples; the sample patch on our house looks pretty

• artemis78
    last year

@J F did you end up using it? We're debating using it as an accent color for our house and wondering how it turned out, if so.

• J F
    last year

We did! I'm out of town right now or I'd take a photo to share. I got cold feet when the paint went partially up because it was browner in shady conditions than my sampling showed. But several neighbors stopped by to comment on what an intriguing color it is and encourage us to stick with it. The lovely black raspberry undertones that appealed to us come out more in the sun. We used AF Thunder as a trim, fyi. Also, I've noticed caponata-like colors as accent doors in some historic houses in the Northeast.

• fandana
    10 months ago

We used caponata for the trim on our historic home in New England! It looks wonderful with the natural stone foundation and porch. The house is a warm gray.