0
jodokus

Behr pain problem -- anyone else notice this?

jodokus

For years, I've been using Behr interior semi-gloss enamel in ultra pure white for all the trim in our house. It has been a truly beautiful shade of white, a very cheerful white.
Recently, I went to buy a can, and the can looks the same, except they've added the words "self-priming" to the can. I was assured it's the same paint. Well, it's not! The color looks more grey than the old ultra-pure white. Even my husband who is really bad about noticing little changes can see that there's clearly a difference. I then managed to find a can of the old formula, and, voila, it matches again perfectly. Clearly, there is a problem with the new formula.
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know where I can buy a stash of the old stuff?
I also want this posting to serve as a warning to others. If you used the old semi-gloss and then buy the same color in the new version, it's not going to be exactly the same.

• northbound

Oh no--just when I was fixin' to get a quart of Swiss Coffee to touch up the bedroom hall!!! Is it possible to get some custom mixed in a base that doesn't have the primer?

• jodokus

I don't know, northbound. I e-mailed Home Depot asking if the old formula is still available. I'll post back if/when I hear.

In my case I have four doors in my hallway. On three of them, the trim and doors are done in the old non self-priming formula. The white is so bright and clear and lovely and happy. Then one door /trim is painted in the new formula and it clearly looks different. The paint looks sort of more clear (the opposite of what you'd expect from a self-priming paint!) and the white just isn't as white. I mean it's still white, but it's got a slight greyish tinge to it that I don't like. In all cases, I sanded and primed with Zinser 1-2-3 before painting.

• franksmom_2010

Behr Premium Plus ULTRA is the formula that contains the "primer". Behr Premium Plus is the older, non-primer formula. It's not *really* primer, but that's a talk for another day...

Another thing to check is what base you're using. All of the cans off the shelf are "Ultra Pure White" but I would guess that the medium and deep base formulations have an added pigment of some very faint color. One last thing, did you have them shake the can to thoroughly mix it?

• jodokus

Yes, I did have them shake it thoroughly to mix it. Maybe I just got a bad can.

I e-mailed Home Depot about this issue, and I was very surprised when someone called me. They were very helpful and asked me to hold on the line while they got someone from Behr. I was about to be transferred to Raul from Behr when the line suddenly went dead, but the helpful HD lady had given me the direct phone number, so I will call it when I have time and speak to them and post back.

• moparjer

My wife was a Home Depot paint department head and said that the base was probably different from the one(s) you had originally purchased as franksmom_2010 suggested. The medium and deep bases are different colors out of the can even though labeled as ultra pure white. I would check the can and see what base it is. Behr still makes paint without the primer if that is the problem, but my wife is certain it is the base formula.

Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

quote from above
    " Behr still makes paint without the primer if that is the problem, "

No they don't, because there is no such thing as a paint AND a primer in the same can. How would that primer know to separate itself from the paint and adhere first?

• moparjer

I stand corrected. Behr now labels their Premium Plus paint as self priming. So, Behr makes Behr Ultra which they call "paint and primer in one" which is more expensive. Behr also makes Behr Premium Plus which is labeled "self priming". Go figure. According to my wife, a former Home Depot Paint Department Head, Behr Ultra is recommended by Behr for high contrast color changes such as white over black. Behr Premium Plus is recommended to cover light colors with light colors. Mainly, she's been told by Behr, it's the amount of solids in the can that makes the difference. Additionally, not all paint and primer or self priming paints are created equal, some simply dump in more titanium dioxide and call it self priming and/or paint and primer in one.
    The whole concept of paint and primer and self priming is a misnomer. Of course they do not have what is traditionally considered primer and paint in one can. I included a web link that helps dispel the myths.
    Back to the original question: Jodukus ultra pure white is grayer than the original. Did she ever find out why?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint + Primer In One

• Sybil Strawser

I bought a sample of Ultra Pure White satin last month and painted a 3 foot long scrap of door trim to see if I would like the color for my doors, trim & future crown molding. Loved it. A few days ago bought Ultra Pure White in semigloss and yes, it does have a slight grayer tone ...exactly what I was trying to avoid. Doesn't seem like the finish difference would make the color grayer.

Behr pain problem .. that pretty much sums it up

• Taylor Steil

I checked the data sheets, the Behr Premium Plus Ultra Semi Gloss contains one extra ingredient from the Premium Plus Semi Gloss: Nepheline Syenite. It would make sense that the white color would be different with that added.

Premium Plus:

* Titanium dioxide

* Amorphous silica

* Aluminum hydroxide

Premium Plus Ultra:

* Titanium dioxide

* Aluminum hydroxide

* Amorphous silica

* Nepheline Syenite

Marquee:

* Titanium dioxide

* Silica, amorphous, precipitated and gel

* Aluminum hydroxide