Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmhip

Bleeding Dog Calluses???

emmhip
15 years ago

My dog is 12 and half and not doing great. We're getting to the point where it's time to make the "decision". She's had elbow calluses for a few years now because she often prefers to sleep on the floors instead of her dog beds. Recently, one of them started bleeding, and now she's been licking it for a day or so. Since it's her elbow, bandaging it seems like it might not work so well. Has anyone ever experienced this before???

I'm reluctant to bring her to the vet because I'm afraid they are going to suggest we put her to sleep, not over this small injury, but because she has some trouble with her back legs and has lost pretty much all of her muscle tone. She still eats, drinks, and goes outside to eliminate no problem. This vet had seen her awhile back and wanted to do a bunch of tests for Cushings, but I decided against it because 1. I don't think she has Cushings, and 2. It was pretty expensive and required her to go to another neighboring vet for the entire day and I thought it would be too much stress (she doesn't enjoy vet visits at all). She had a full blood profile/CBC that came back pretty normal at this last visit (which was few months ago).

I just want to keep her comfortable until it's seems like she should be put to sleep (I just don't think she's quite there yet). She's on Cosequin and Rimadyl for her back legs and for comfort.

Comments (6)