Software
Houzz Logo Print
hamsundm

Durable table top finish

16 years ago

Thought I'd check here before posting in Woodworking (I'm a rookie and intimidated.)

We have a duncan phyfe style walnut table. The finish is very sensitive to heat. Even a placemat underneath my 4 year old's plate may leave a white spot (and her food isn't even very hot!).

The table needs refinishing anyway so... What should I use to make this table more durable? I have 2 kids and don't really want to baby the table. I don't want a glass top because we change the table size frequently.

It doesn't have to be bullet-proof and I don't mind if it looks well-used, but I hate the discoloration and how easy it is to leave marks on it. It is the current finish that's sensitive, right? Or the sealant?

Also, those of you with painted table tops, how does the paint hold up? Do you use table covers? Does it scratch easily? One thought I've had is to paint the top.

Thanks for any insight. :)

Comments (2)