Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbisi

Are we nuts?

arbisi
15 years ago

All our friends & family think so---We can't seem to be happy with a few pets and enjoy having a zoo full. We have four dogs ( all rescued from the pound ) and we are now considering cat number 6. A little background on the cats--when we were married 12 years ago I had 2 & DH had 2 we then adopted brother & sister kittens giving us a total of 6. Over the years we lost all but one of the six to old age. I was very happy to be down to 1 for awhile but,about a year ago we got suckered in to a black kitty & then a stray showed up on our doorstep & adopted us giving us 3. In May we adopted 3 pure white DSH sisters to only lose one to Giardia a week later. So now we have 5 but when I took the babies to the vet this morning I fell in love with a med hair solid black kitty that is only a week older than my white babies (the vets office also does cat rescue adoptions--hows that for drumming up more business LOL). As I type I think my husband went back to the vet to adopt the black kitty-that would give us 2striped,2 white & 2 black cats total.I am on my way to work so I won't know until I get home. So are we crazy or just animal lovers?

Comments (9)

• jules0988
    15 years ago

I think it is wonderful that you have a home filled with loved, precious pets. Don't question yourself and just enjoy them. They are truly gifts to us and you and your husband are gifts to them for giving them all a wonderful family- More power to YOU!

• User
    15 years ago

My husband and I are in a similar situation, except we have more cats than you, and only 2 dogs. I don't think you are crazy at all, as long as you have the resources to take good care of them there is nothing wrong with providing a home for lots of critters.

• spiritual_gardner
    15 years ago

I am not a qualified person to properly determine if you are nuts or not.

However, for me, three large dogs is the absolute limit. If I did not have my situation where I am home lots of the time, it would never work. I simply must have order and tranquility in my life, and I can't imagine that with so many creatures in the same space.

I had two for a very long time, it's a long story how I got the third. On more than one occasion, I have had the opportunity to have another, but I keep reminding myself, I just can't do it.

SG

• arbisi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! As I suspected my husband did go get the new black kitty & he is already bonding with the other animals. He is so lovable & friendly & is showing no fear of his new siblings which is a good sign. And they are taking to him too--I think he will be a good fit in our zoo.
    All the animals are alot of work & I haven't taken a vacation away from home in 14 years but that is fine with me since I am a homebody by choice anyway. It is such a good feeling knowing I have rescued another sweety.

• User
    15 years ago

You would be in violation of three city ordnances here---max. 3 dogs, 3 cats, or variation up to 3.

Out in the country---you probably could have 20 dogs/cats---more power to ya!!!!

• arbisi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Handymac---shhhhhh-don't tell but we are already breaking the village ordinance by one dog.Village rules are 3 dogs & 3 cats but I have come across plenty of people with more who didn't even know their was a limit. Our County code is any property under 1 acre can have up to ten animals so we are good there. The way I look at it is it's my property & the village can kiss my a** Our property is well maintained, spottlessly clean inside & out & our animals don't bother anyone. The cats are all indoors and the dogs are only outside with me in our fenced yard. We will eventually screen in our back patio again (old enclosure destroyed by hurricane) for the cats so they can go "outside" to enjoy the birds & lizzards. It is so cute to see them laying by the patio door making bird noises. I would love to let them out to let them roam the yard but I would be afraid one might get out of the fence & hit by a car. I had a nightmare recently that one of my white babies was in the yard and it was being swallowed by a Boa & I reached in the snakes mouth & pulled her out even though I am terrified of snakes. LOL I will never watch "snakes on a plane" again.

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

Hey, what's 1 more, right??? If I had my way, I'd also have a "zoo"...But DH and I are getting up in years and I'd hate to think what might happen if we weren't here...We do have 3 inside fur babies and 3 semi ferals that live on our back porch...
    Good luck with your new member of the family.....

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

We have lotsa pets too, four cats, and one dog, had three but re homed 2. Two of the cats are mine, the other two are as following one is my moms the other one my dads. The dog ,Shadow is moms,too.

Here is the lowdown on my two cats, Bindi/leopalorn

Bindi, a black moggy with a possible feral parent background, mom was a stray, dad wasn't known, was a 'free kitten' gift from my dads ex girlfriend, Leopalorn is a purebred Somali,from Artshow, Ray and Sandy benter, are the breeders which live in Iowa. Though their childhoods and parents couldn't be more different I find Bindi to be the more loving and wise of the two, Leopalorn is a strange cat he cries when you pet him but comes back for more, he makes these weird sounds like a wild animal, bird calls,trills,ect. And he tends to smother me when he sleeps with me. But he is loving, very active and likes to eat, thats his favrote thing, is eating, Also he's the quickest to play.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Yes, you are nuts. ;-)

But you don't need me to tell you something that you already know!