Software
Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

How to make this unit more modern looking?

13 years ago
Should I remove glass doors and try to beef up shelves? Put something on top(,but nbot any kind of plant fake or real,I hate it)?

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So hard to see on my tiny laptop screen, but it looks nice enough from traditional standards. You could update it by taking off the glass doors, painting it (black maybe) if that's not a fabulous cherry wood -- and whatever you do, I'd add a panel to the back to match; your wall color coming through makes it look busier than it has to be.

    Only put something large and wonderful on top if you have high ceilings. Just my quick thoughts.
  • 13 years ago
    I will replace and /or rearange content inside but looking for more ideasbBack of unit is not open, wooden pannels are at the back
  • 13 years ago
    Try painting it. Maybe even a color could bring a lovely accent to the room. Not sure what your room colors are. But it looks like a light gray could be a possibility. Try removing the glass doors or frosting the glass to give them a translucent white color.
  • 13 years ago
    Atg. I was thinking about removing doors as well and it seems to me like a good idea.I just convinced my husband :) I would not paint it,it is nice, quality wood ,not sure if it is cherry wood.Maybe different knobs on bottom doors.And if i can find thich shelves to replace existing glass ones .Thank you all.
  • 13 years ago
    I remove the doors, de-clutter and organize the shelves, and paint it a nice, light color to brighten things up. Maybe a pale sage or cream? Also, you can either paint the hardware or replace it. Another option is that you can paint or wallpaper the back of the shelves for a fun look. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If this piece were mine I'd pull a bright and cheery color from the largest pattern in the room (whether it be an upholstered piece, rug or drapery) and paint this piece that color with high gloss paint. Then I'd call a mirror installer in to custom fit the glass doors with mirror on the back side of the glass...so they're still glass, but with mirror fitted behind them. That would serve to both update and modernize the piece while also hiding the clutter.
  • 13 years ago
    PS. Don't forget to change the hardware to chrome or nickel!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could remove the glass doors and leave it as open shelving. I would also suggest changing the hardware!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would for sure change the handles to a more modern look and like everyone else said make some a bookshelves look
  • 13 years ago
    We had a beautiful cherry entertainment unit originally purchased for one of those large screen big box style TV's. When we decided to get a new flat screen TV I couldn't bear to part with the furniture so we found a cabinet maker to remake the center portion with a matching panel to mount the TV on. (See before and after photos). I still need to work on accessorizing the glass side cabinets, but overall, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. With a small additional investment we were able to adapt this nice piece of furniture to fit the current technology!
  • 13 years ago
    What do you guys think if i just remove that leaded trim decoration from glass? Would it look better?I dont even know how to do that,is it difficult? Or better to remove the doors completely?
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a picture of an white high gloss armoire with mirror detail. This is what I was referring to in my post from yesterday.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! Are you able to remove the top piece? is it a must have? I think it would definitely make it look more modern.
  • 13 years ago
    @Tindygirl High gloss armoire looks great bit that would be too much work with uncertain and risky result.
    @msbowden. I tried to to remove top part but it looks akward
  • 13 years ago
    Those types of "units" went out with the flat panel screen, just chuck it and start over.
  • 13 years ago
    Sell it on Craigslist and use the money for what you really want. It is such a shame that the "black box" dominates our decorating investments, schemes and lives!
  • 13 years ago
    Isnt it already better with doors removed?
  • 13 years ago
    here
  • 13 years ago
    Yes it does, have you thought of getting some storage baskets for some of the open shelves? I would still paint it. First clean well with TSP, then you could use liquid sandpaper( deglosser) to make things easier ( no sanding). I would also prime it, the paint store will tint the primer if you are going to use a dark color paint. Then paint as you wish using a small foam roller on the larger surfaces. Personally I think a nice satin black would look great. With some very light distressing. Just sanding off some high spots and edges for a time worn look. The hardware is basic so you could spray paint with a nice metallic spray of choice. I put little knobs on toothpicks stuck into styrofoam to spray. I would use oil rubbed bronze myself, but there are many nice colors to choose from. Of course you could spring for new hardware, it looks like you only will need to replace 5 knobs. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Style . Painting furniture sounds very intimidating to me .But one day I will try with some smaller piece.I 've got some chairs in the kitchen,ideal for painting.They will be my guiniepigs.I am working on decorating inside of entertainment unit .
  • 13 years ago
    After and before :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Remove the glass and the top center piece. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    It looks better without the glass doors. You should put some wallpaper or paint the back of the cabinet to draw attention to the book shelves.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...no need to prime. Google it :)