Software
Houzz Logo Print
htnspz_gw

Can you spot an expensive chandelier?

17 years ago

I was looking to purchase a chandelier and so I went to Lamps Plus where I was told that you can tell the difference in quality of chandeliers. She showed me a schonbek and a cheaper brand and I could tell the difference, but left me wondering if it was worth it. Their more costly chandeliers were over $1,000 but I would be concerned buying a chandelier of that price especially considering that the light bulbs might change as we make the switch to those energy bulbs.

So what do you think? Is an expensive chandelier worth it? How are Schonbeks? Crystorama?

I know this is sort of a subjective topic but what's your opinions?

Comments (26)

  • 17 years ago

    I don't pay that much money for something I can't touch every day. LOL I put my money into sofa's and things that make my life comfortable and easier. Yes, there is a difference in telling a cheapo from an expensive lighting fixture. I wouldn't buy it, but I've seen some of those Crystorama chadi's on this forum and they are gorgeous I must say. It's a personal thing so I can't tell you what to do with your money.

  • 17 years ago

    I'm not necessarily looking for a cheaper brand, just wondering what the differences between a more expensive brand and a less expensive brand. Do you somehow get more refraction of light?, is there a difference in the color of the light? etc.

    Thank you for your opinions!

  • 17 years ago

    I have 3 chandeliers that was made-to-order years ago, or as it was once suggested...made on consignment. They're brass and Austrian crystal. I've brought them from one house to another and once even had the links completely overhauled. I also extended the length of one. Having said all of that, I'm in the market for a mid-sized chandelier and have looked at the Crystoramas and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one for a spare bedroom. As a side note, the very name, Crystorama, makes them seem cheap.

  • 17 years ago

    I can tell the difference between cheap lighting and expensive lighting normally just by looking at the picture. It's a combo of the finish quality, design and glass quality if there is glass or crystal. Good quality crystals are cut verses poured into a mold (those crisp cut edges cause more sparkle) and then there's real rock crystal...lucious.

    If it's something you can afford, (don't cancel the kids college plans) than I personally think putting the highest quality fixtures in your house is always worthwhile. Lights are the sort of thing you dont' want to switch out often if you go with timeless styles. And I wouldn't worry about the issue with the new bulbs...by the time we get there that will be solved. The technology is already there, but price has to go down (ie they do have a chandelier bulb but they're some $100 each now).

  • 17 years ago

    I'd say that I usually can tell the diffeence, but not always.

    I've seen some really expensive chandaliers I wouldn't have if you paid me!

    And occasionally (not often, but more than once), I've seen some $99 crystal chandaliers at HD or Lowes that had great proportions and nice crystals. Up close, they probably fall a bit short. But if you're not hanging them up close, and the $500 difference matters?...

  • 17 years ago

    Try Sheri's crystal designs. She doesn't have much in stock right now, but you can get a good idea of what she does by looking at the Sold section of her site. She'll make up anything you want, custom, for the same price she charged for the off-the-rack version. I haven't ordered a chandy from her, but I've had her do wind chimes and they were gorgeous. Very high quality materials. I highly recommend her for anything to do with traditional chandeliers.

    Here is a link that might be useful: sheri's crystal designs

  • 17 years ago

    I see she's removed a lot of the prices from the sold section. To help you out, here's what some of them cost:

    was $269

    was $199

    was $300 something (forget the exact price, but way, way less than you'd pay in a lamp store for a chandelier that size)

    I think was $199. Anyway, she had a similar one with a pink body and clear crystals that was $199.

  • 17 years ago

    I know many people don't like brass chandeliers but I have a Holtkoetter brass chandelier and it's beautiful. There is a huge difference between it and a cheaper fixture.

  • 17 years ago

    The main difference between cheap and expensive chandelier is the use of fine crystal (austrian). It is easy to spot a strass swarovski cyrstal chandelier vs cheaper ones. Of course, it the chandelier is hanging very high, one may not be able to tell the difference unless the lights are on and then they sparkle differently.

  • 17 years ago

    If you have time and live in a big enough city, Craigslist is a terrific source for crystal chandeliers. They are not to everyone's taste, so you can score a great deal when someone wants to replace theirs with a different style.

  • 17 years ago

    Always wanting and never having, I got 10 and wish some one had told me one of the most important details is if the connection the bulb screws in is seperate from the decorative outside. I now have my beautiful crystal chandeliers but can not unscrew the burn out bulbs because the socket twists freely inside the sleeve, which will harm the wires, and me,lol. Another point I wish I'd known, I'm preparing to take all of mine apart, replace the top of each strand with and earring hook so I will then be able to easily remove all the crystals to properly wash/dry and rehang. Look carefully at any design to be sure you can move the bulbs without taking everything apart. On some it is almost impossible to get your hand in to the bulb.

  • 17 years ago

    RE: Can you spot an expensive chandelier?

    I am usually immediately drawn to the most expensive thing in the store before seeing the price tag.

    Is there a way to make a living with that skill? Or is it just a curse?

  • 17 years ago

    Oceanna, I think many of us share that affliction. That's why we're here! Bodica, be sure to turn off your circuit(s) before attempting anything! I would take those problem chandeliers out and have an electrician go over them, or, better yet, have an electrician take them down, too.

  • 17 years ago

    There are usually lamp repair places pretty much anywhere that will rewire a lamp or chandelier very reasonably.

  • 17 years ago

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    I have a Schoenbek chandelier in the dining room and I wouldn't mind, in the least, having a matching Schoenbek crystal pendant light in my entry way if the price wasn't standing in my way!

    At any rate, I am pleased with the chandelier as it reflects light beautifully and the silver finish matches the other hardware in the room. The negatives are the chandelier is a pain to dust (as would be the case with any crystal lighting fixture) and a dimmer switch is a necessity if you don't wish to be blinded when the chandelier is in use.

    Sorry, I am not familiar with Crystorama products.

    Back to the crystal pendant light for my entry way. As much as I love the Schoenbek fixture I saw in the store, I will probably go with a less expensive fixture because it will be high overhead and not in the same line of sight as the chandelier. If it were possible to see the pendant light and the chandelier lit at the same time, then I would save my pennies for the Schoenbek fixture because under those circumstances, it would be the easiest to detect the difference in the quality of the crystals.

    In your case, if you are looking to purchase a crystal lighting fixture which will be hung overhead and you don't have any other crystal lighting fixtures within view, then I don't see the need to purchase the more expensive crystals and especially if the dining room only gets ocassional use.

  • 17 years ago

    Kitchendetective, ain't it the pits? I wish I were consistently drawn to the cheapest thing and I and my friends and family couldn't tell the difference. lol!

    Here are some fun chandy pics I saved recently...

    I like looking at them because they're different.

  • 17 years ago

    I can't believe this. At two minutes before 4:00 I posted to this and at 4:15 it's 1/3 of the way down page 2. What??

  • 17 years ago

    Thank you, writersblock, for including my shop and pics in this forum! I'm flattered...
    Well, I've seen very pricey chandeliers that didn't look all that expensive, and rich chandeliers that weren't all that expensive (like mine!)
    As everyone pretty much mentioned, the quality of the crystal has everything to do with a chandelier. Austrian (Strass) crystals are the finest quality and carry a hefty price. Behoemian/Czech crystals are also fine quality, but Swarovski is noted for superior optical quality.
    If you look at My Gallery page in my shop, you will see a French Empire chandelier that I designed with Swarovski crystals in the Gold Teak color. While the beauty of the crystals on this fixture brought tears to my eyes (I become attached to the chandeliers I build :) ), the crystals alone cost over $1,000.00.
    I use a lot of vintage crystals in my fixtures, and have found that many of the prisms are on par with Swarovski ~ I believe it has much to do with lead content. Vintage prisms work well in my wind chimes designs, because they sound so beautiful (again, lead content and glass quality). I also use Italian and Czech crystals because they are good quality, they sparkle, they are durable, and they are affordable. I do use Swarovski crystals, but sparingly due to the price.
    Unless a client specifically requests Swarovski, the chandeliers I have custom built are dressed with European and Czech crystal.
    Whether you choose Schonbek, Crystorama, or a custom fixture from Sheri's Crystal Designs, you are getting a great chandelier!!
    Thanks for letting me chat here!!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sheri's Crystal Designs

  • 17 years ago

    Sheri, I was just getting ready to post a thank you to writersblock for sharing the link to your website, and now I see you're here! What beautiful things you have! And they're right up my decorating alley. lol.

    Do you help people one on one to decorate a chandy? I'm looking for a smallish one for my DR with 8' ceiling. I've bought all my light fixtures except for the DR and I need to make a decision FAST.

    Also, I want to order one of your wind chimes and sun catchers. Where do I put them? Do they stay in the house because they'd break outdoors?

    Let's just say I'll remember your site at Christmas!

    Ht, honestly, I don't think most people can tell the difference between an expensive chandy or not. Professionals probably can, that's a given. When I look at a light fixture in someone's home, I don't even think about price, I think about the beauty of it. I grew up with a massive crystal chandy in our DR, and not once did I wonder how much my mom paid for it, I just remember it was drop dead gorgeous, especially on a dimmer.

    I say buy one if you like it. That's what I'm going to do. :)

  • 17 years ago

    I agree ~ if you see a chandelier you like, then buy it!

    I do work one~on~one for custom lighting. There is a section under Policies in my shop that talks about custom work. You can always drop me an email if you need more info.

    The wind chimes and sun catchers can be hung outdoors providing the weather is "decent". Major wind gusts can cause breakage, and you wouldn't want them outside during the winter. The wind chimes are gorgeous hung inside in front of a sunny window or if you have a window over the kitchen sink, that's a perfect spot. In front of a mirror, covered porch, etc. Actually, the possibilities are endless! Believe it or not, I did have a pretty crystal sun catcher hanging outside the entire winter because I fogot about it, and it is still as pretty and sparkly as last year! Living in upstate NY with our long, cold winters really says a lot about the endurance of crystals!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sheri's Crystal Designs

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks Sheri. I've been fascinated with crystals since I was a little girl when I watched Pollyanna for the first time. lol. I was mesmerized by their homemade sun catchers. I think the window above my kitchen sink would be lovely. :)

  • 17 years ago

    About 35 years ago, a friend of mine bought a Waterford crystal chandelier in England (her native country) & had it shipped to her home in California. I was just checking their current prices. Wow, not cheap. Gorgeous I guess...for those that like that type of lighting.

  • 7 years ago

    Were can i

  • 6 years ago

    Needing info


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Can someone help me figure out how much this chandelier is worth? It’s very dusty but hopeful someone has some knowledge to help me.


Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio