Software
Houzz Logo Print
adarablaze

Dorm dilemma

13 years ago
My dorm is 16' X 10'. I need a sort of divider that does not punture any walls or ceiling. My roomate is a SLOB. Her stuff is all over my desk, my closet, no matter how many times I take it out.
If I set the divider horizontal, she can't get to the door, if vertical, it serves no purpose.
UGH.

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    Can you switch sides with her, and put up a horizontal divider?

    Can the furniture be rearranged or is it stuck in that configuration?
  • 13 years ago
    We're required to remain to our assigned beds and the funiture is bolted to the floor and/or wall.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Can you request a change of room from management?
  • 13 years ago
    Would a tension rod work? I don't know if they make them wide enough. Hang a shower curtain (or two) across the space. Of course she could still get through between the door and her space, but it would give you a break (literally and figuratively).

    Does your school have cleanliness rules, or rules about keeping on your own side of the room? You might want to get your RA involved. How have other students handled this situation in the past? This is not really a decorating problem, it's a roommate problem. The great folks on the forums at collegeconfidential.com might be able to give you insight.
  • 13 years ago
    I have had 4 kids go through dorm life. Most of them really do not do well in the setting. Can you call the housing people. I found out at Clemson U (sev. yrs ago) that the on campus apartments were not much more expensive than the dorms. After the semester was underway, they had openings in other areas. Or perhaps, they will have another opening in a dorm room with someone who is neat if they allow you to talk to someother students. Just took a couple of phone calls and my son got to go meet roommates before he decided where to switch too. I agree with Carolyn; try to get a better situation. I really think dorms are abysmal living arrangement. How can anyone study with students in such close proximity and the noise. But good luck if you cannot change rooms. A college degree will be worth it.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the rolling rack, that could work. I don't understand tension rod.
    As for cleaniness, my RA knows. But her cousin is my roomate, so she doesn't care. And managment couldn't care less. As for a room change, the only open ones, are a private, at $3000 a year. Noooo wwayyyy. I can't afford that.
  • 13 years ago
    Well, the apartments near by are for retired care. Elders. Thanks! I'll look into changing halls, I was placed in this hall because it's closest to my classes. My campus has about 4 halls, for girls. And another 4 for boys. It's just such a big campus.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you have a bicycle? Great form of college transportation, or at least it used to be, back in the day.
  • 13 years ago
    A tension rod is a curtain rod or shower curtain rod that is actually 2 tubes. One is slightly narrower and fits inside the other. There's a spring inside, which pushes the two tubes apart, and the ends (usually rubber tipped) onto the walls in opposite directions. No nails or holes, just pressure holding up the rod.
  • 13 years ago
    I have a car.. But tansportation from hall to hall is specially walking. There's sidewalks all over campus. And one road, to the teacher's parking lot. Vehicles stay in front of your hall where you stay, unless leaving campus all together.
    We have A LOT of rules..
  • 13 years ago
    I see, That could work too!(:
  • 13 years ago
    Really sounds more like prison, with the beds bolted to the floor and all the rules! How'd you get stuck there?
  • 13 years ago
    Because it was the closest univerisity that would let me major as a physican's assistant and minor as an architectural independent study, that accepted A+ program. Believe me, I wanted to go elsewhere.
  • 13 years ago
    Try to become an RA and get your own private room!
  • 13 years ago
    You have to be a senior or graduated to be an RA..
  • 13 years ago
    Again good luck. Unfortunately, a lot of walking is usually involved at major Universities. My oldest son actually commuted an 11/2 hrs. one way his last year. And I did that when getting my Master's Degree. Usually, it is worth it.