Software
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky7_gw

Where is your dish towel?

14 years ago

I'm still stuck on what to do with the kitchen to update it, so I spent time looking at the finished kitchens site. Trying to look at details, I suddenly realized I never saw anyone's dish towels...you know, the one you keep by the sink that everyone grabs to dry their hands. I saw one kitchen that had a hook on both sides of the window by the sink (forgive me, I fail to remember which kitchen) I know it must seem like a silly question, but I'm curious!

Comments (52)

  • 14 years ago

    Mine hangs on an under sink cabinet pull. I chose the Top Knobs Princeton pulls in part because they are deep enough to act as a towel rack!


  • 14 years ago

    Nothing fancy, but does the job.

    {{!gwi}}

  • 14 years ago

    My cabinet guy added this to the right side of the sink cab. There isn't a lot of room to put anything else because the drain and disposal is on that side.

  • 14 years ago

    We installed a small towel rack on the back end of the island and also have hooks inside sink cabinet door.

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks for the pictures! Visuals always help me. I've tried to hang mine on a pull by the sink, but it always seems to land back on the countertop. I need to find it a better home. ha!

  • 14 years ago

    We just got Diamond cabinets and didn't want to put screws in the sink door since it's not solid. I tried a tension rod inside the sink cab, which I saw on here and on Pinterest for hanging cleaners by the handle; and so far it's working very well.

  • 14 years ago

    On a wide drawer pull.

  • 14 years ago
  • 14 years ago

    Lots of good ideas - I will be watching to determine placement as our kitchen proceeds!
    Thanks

  • 14 years ago

  • 14 years ago

    I'm hoping that you won't mind a minor thread highjack, kentucky7. I'm been trying to figure this out, too.

    Cotehele, I just posted a pic of a towel cab from Crown Point that is very like yours - except yours is wider (CP's cab is shown in the thread linked below). I don't have as much space as you do. How many towel bars do you have and how wide is your opening? Who made the hardware? Are you still happy with it? Any wisdom to pass along? TIA!

    Here is a link that might be useful: What to do with 3''- 6'' between fridge and DW?

  • 14 years ago

    Hi kentucky..

    I hang 2 on a little hand towel rack that is meant for the bathroom..I find it works well in the kitchen. I wouldn't want to reach for a towel hanging from my cabinets with dripping wet hands..I had a lot of water damage on my old kitchen cabinets and am trying to keep these new cabinets water damage free...

    here's the one in my poweder room..

    KA:)

  • 14 years ago

    I have this in the kitchen. Usually have pretty ones in front and every day ones on the second and third bar.

  • 14 years ago

    Where did you get those towel racks, kitchenaddict? They look like a perfect solution. By the way, I love your wide window sill with the lovely plants growing in the window.

  • 14 years ago

    kitchenaddict...where did you get your towel racks?

  • 14 years ago

    Gosh - mine hang off my oven door handle.. You can tell I never give it any thought.

  • 14 years ago

    I use a magnetic one that "hides" on a side of the refrigerator that's only seen on the "business" end of the kitchen.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic towel holder

  • 14 years ago

    We have one of those magnetic thingies that fits on the inside of our utility sink -- a Canadian design I think, discovered here on the Kitchen Forum -- have to look for the name and I'll post a picture tomorrow-- I like it a lot because it hides the dishrag below counter height but doesn't store it away in a dark place where it can't dry out completely

  • 14 years ago

    I'm not kitchenaddict, but I liked her towel rack, and found these on Amazon. I don't know if they're the exact ones, but they are similar, at least:

    Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Racks

  • 14 years ago

    Ditto the pic that Quirk posted. I have mine on the same towel rings, one on each side of the cabs next to the sink. I plan to tile those little areas with backsplash tile to avoid water damage to the wood.

  • 14 years ago

    What...no towel pigs?

    I use the freezer door handle and sometimes the warming drawer handle...the ovens are "off limits" b/c my front door view is the ovens! I find keeping the towel out in the open makes the towel much more accessible when needed - no opening a cabinet door w/dripping wet hands. It also allows it to dry more quickly and does not create a damp environment inside a cabinet.

    Here are some older towel threads...including the famous "towel pig"!

    What to do with the Dish Towel?!?! [Towel Pig thread]

    OT. Kitchen-towel-hanging-on-the-oven-door-survey...

    Where do you hang your cloth hand towels?

    narrow open cabinet to hang damp dish towels

    Where and how do you hang your cloth dishtowels?

    Where do you put paper towels, wet dish towels, cutting boards,

    where do you hang the dish towel in the spanking new kitchen?

    Where do you hang your dish towels?

    These are about dish cloths:

    where do you keep kitchen cloths?

    Ew...wet rags on kitchen sink

    Dish cloth or sponge? And where do you store it between uses?

    Where to store that wet dishrag?

  • 14 years ago

    Yes, kitchenaddict, where did you find that two-tiered rack?

    I got a finger towel one from Marshalls but it's not tall enough. Yours looks perfect!

    --Lee

  • 14 years ago

    Do you have an island? I'm a big fan of towel bars on either end of the island.

  • 14 years ago

    lisa,

    The cabinet is 12'' before the trim. With trim, I thinks it's 9''. The rack is an inexpensive 3 bar pull out type mounted on the side. The trim hides the slide. I really like the accessibility and good air flow. Hope that helps.

  • 14 years ago

    Hi split..tex..and la ko...

    I found the hand towel racks at Bed Bath and Beyond 5 years or so ago..and have never seen them again since..

    BUT!!! MAGDIEGO FOUND them on Amazon!! Nice work mag...:))

    I know I didn't pay $29.99 for one..but...oh well..things have gone up in price I guess..

    KA:)

  • 14 years ago

    I have mine on hooks by the sink -- one for dishes, one for hands. FWIW -- Amy :) (Long live the towel pig!)

  • 14 years ago

    clergychick - YOURS was the one I remember seeing on the finished kitchen board.

  • 14 years ago

    Ours in our old kitchen was draped neatly over the dishwasher handlebar.

  • 14 years ago

    Much like the towel pig, I have a towel hen. It is a ceramic hen from Vietri. It sits by the sink and the towel rests on its back. Easy to grab and sort of fun!

  • 14 years ago

    beth, a towel hen sounds like fun too. DH needs easy to grab.

    Everyone here is full of creative ideas!

  • 14 years ago

    Like bethlcsw, I have a substitute for towel pig. You can see my towel squirrel here.

  • 14 years ago

    laxsupermom, thanks so much for posting the link to your story about your towel squirrel! I found it very inspiring--enough so that I'm going to plan an "excursion" to HomeGoods and the garden sculpture section.

    It hadn't occurred to me to look for things in garden sculpture that might work. I too have been intrigued by the "towel pig" since I first read about it here on GW. My dilemma has been what animal to choose. :-) That's why it was great fun for me to read your squirrel story. I can see doing elephants (as my grandmother was very into elephants and having the trunks facing the door means good luck). But I'm not a pig or chicken gal. I'm partial to bears, but like you pointed out, I'm not sure a self-respecting bear would put up with having a towel draped over him for very long.

    Hence the trek to HomeGoods this weekend! If I don't find an animal to fall in love with that I want to gaze at every day on my counter, I'm ordering the "a la kitchenaddict's" rack from Amazon.

    --Lee

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks, cotehele! I don't have that much space but it helps to hear from someone who has a cabinet similar to what I'm hoping to do.

    Lots of great ideas, thanks for sharing everyone!

  • 14 years ago

    Love the towel pig!

    I installed an extra long drawer pull on the side of my island that is close to the sink. It can fit at least two dishtowels. Also use the dishwasher handle or high curved kitchen faucet as back ups if the towels are super wet to avoid dripping down the wood of the island.

  • 14 years ago

    dish towel is on the oven handle

  • 14 years ago

    countertops or over my shoulder.

    I hate having them hanging over drawer pulls, which is where everyone else likes to put them. I even contemplated, briefly, cessing out a pig ... but I just like em everywhere, folded neatly-ish, ready to go....

  • 14 years ago

    ...wherever I last left it. Probably with my phone and my keys.

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks, la koala! Make sure and post back here if you find just the right towel animal. I'd love to see what you end up with.

  • 14 years ago

    I like to keep mine on a vintage glass towel bar on the sink side of the island. But the kids like to keep them wadded up and tossed on the counter. :[

  • 14 years ago

    On my oven handle until I get a new DW that MUST have a handle just for the towel. Putting it away would be ridiculous for me since I use it constantly when I'm in the kitchen (and who am I trying to impress?). I used to have a little hook on the cabinet frame under the sink and over time the dampness made the old oak funky. Ain't gonna do that to my new stuff.

  • 14 years ago

    linelle, works great! Always at least 2 on my dishwasher handle...

  • 14 years ago

    rtwilliams: Yes! Exactly. BTW, what are your counters?

  • 14 years ago

    linelle, black pearl granite.

  • 14 years ago

    Speaking of Towel Pig, jodi_in_so_cal has a thread about some cute piggies she found, though not THE Towel Pig, they COULD be a nice copycat.

  • 14 years ago

    I have a towel rack I bought at Homegoods. It's taller than most so I'm not sure if it's a tall fingertip towel rack or a small toilet paper holder, lol. I did take it down though. No one ever put the towel back so it ended up back on the counter next to the sink. I figured a towel rack with no towel on it didn't make sense.

  • 14 years ago

    Sorry I forgot the link to the "Substitute Towel Pig" thread--

    Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Pig Substitute?

  • 14 years ago

    Dish towels hang on a rail in front of the range to dry. But dishcloths I have taken to hanging on the inside of the deep utility sink, on one of those magnetic Magisso thingies, which I really like -- keeps it out of sight. Here are pictures on a retailer's site.
    Lynn

    Here is a link that might be useful: Magisso dishcloth holders

  • 14 years ago

    Amazon also has the same towel rack in satin nickel, for less.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Taymor Satin Nickel CurliQ Heavy Gauge Fingertip Towel Valet

  • 14 years ago

    Oh my goodness! I've read threads referring to the towel pig before but didn't know what he looked like until the thread was linked above. I have a towel pig! Except I don't use him to hold a towel. He actually sits on my mantle...a gift from my husband because I have a thing for flying pigs. He is one of my favorite things, I am pretty sure my husband got him off of EBay.