Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mysterymachine_gw

What to do with the Dish Towel?!?!

mysterymachine
16 years ago

I swear when I was doing layout etc I saw tons of dish towel threads - and I just ignored them becuase it was not something I needed to be bothered with.

Now, here I am finished (I know everyones seen it, just linking in case it helps to see it again to make recommendations) and I don't know where to put the dang towel. Honestly right now I keep it just sitting on the counter (I have a nice red one and a rather plain black one - I rotate).

Where do you have your towel and do you like it? I know a lot of people have it on the inside of the door under the sink... how do you like that? I was imagining it and I didn't really like having to open the door with wet hands just to dry off my hands... but if people say that's the way to go I'm willing buy myself one of those racks for inside the sink cabinet and give it a try.

Comments (41)

• holligator
    16 years ago

On a day-to-day basis, I'd probably end up using that drawer pull to the right of the sink as a little towel bar. When company's coming, it would be nice to have a hook in the cab under the sink to hide it away.

• petra_il
    16 years ago

I bought a small tension rod (yes, the one for curtains), put it inside the underneath of cabinet next to the sink, kind of like where undercabinet lighting is; it sits against the cabinet sides. I may snatch a picture if anyone is interested. No drilling involved, it's not a permanent fixture, it was pure inspiration! :))

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

You get yourself a towel pig! Shoulda read those towel threads Mystery!:)

I can't take credit for him though. I stole the idea from another Robin on this forum.
    Robin

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Normally I hang mine from the handle on our oven door.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

I thought of the small tension rod idea too. But so far, I haven't been able to find one small enough. Petra, did you put yours from front to back? Under a 12" deep wall cabinet? Where do you get them that small?? I've just been draping my towel over the counter in front of the sink.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

Dish rag and dish towel on the end of our island where you don't see them from anywhere else. I found that towel bar in a specialty bath shop. Most of them stick out too far to accommodate a fat, fluffy bath towel.

{{!gwi}}

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

I have a slide out rod in one of my cabinets

• User
    16 years ago

You can buy hooks that slip on to the top of a cab door or drawer at BB&B or similar stores.

You can face it on the inside of the door or the outside. The inside edge is padded so as not to damage your cabinet.

They are very handy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Door Hooks

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

Here's where I keep mine :)

{{!gwi}}

(Actually, we have those inexpensive pullout bars from IKEA for inside the cabinet -- they are a bit lighter weight, but otherwise quite comparable to something the cabinet company offered and a fraction of the price -- but we found it much more convenient to just hang them "restaurant style" on the long stainless drawer pulls. But now that pulling them off the bars has become our 11-month-old retriever's latest thrill, I guess they'll have to go back inside the cabinet. I do agree that it's a real pain to have to open the door with wet hands to get at a towel. But still preferable to drying dishes with a towel that just came out of the dog's mouth...! :)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

We hang ours over the sink to dry out if it's pretty damp/wet after use. Otherwise we hang it on a towel bar inside the cab door:

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

ctlady - all I have to say is
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Love that look on her face.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

She's HELPING, silly !

Very cute pupper.

• grannabelle
    16 years ago

i have a couple of the hang over the cabinet door ones that was mentioned above from bed bath and beyond...not permanent, in fact i find that if i am using a different part of the kitchen than usual, i can just move it with me so it is handy...if i want to hide the towels, i just reverse it so the towels hang inside the cabinet (but only when they are completely dry) i like the idea that it is not permanently in place

• petra_il
    16 years ago

lily1342, I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's 18-22" size and my cabinet is 19" so it works perfectly. I think they had another one that was 12-18" or maybe 12-16 or something like that. Mine hangs along the wall, just little away so that the towel can hang without touching the wall.

I like having it right next to the sink, I wash my hand frequently when I cook so having it inside a cabinet wouldn't work for me. I also don't like hanging it over the door, I don't think wet towel should be that close to wood. That's just me, though.

Here's a larger view (pardon the mess!)

• montalvo
    16 years ago

We have towel racks attached to the inside of the cabinet doors below the main and prep sinks. Because the towels are close to where water is dispensed, they're always close by when you need them, yet out of sight when not in use.

The racks are a type that separates the two halves of the towel with a 45 degree angle wire "shelf", allowing the towel to dry quicker than if suspended by the traditional towel bar. The heat generated under the main sink by the hot water dispenser and water chiller causes those towels to dry especially quickly.

DW reserves a drawer near the main sink exclusively for about a dozen spare towels so she can conveniently get a clean one whenever necessary. She buys the bulk white terry cloth hand towels you find at Costco...good quality but cheap enough to throw away when they get dingy looking.

Bob

• nicole__
    16 years ago

I aagree, it needs to be accessible. I used a bathroom robe hook, stainless & blunt, below,in the spacer piece next to the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless Towel hook

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting your pics, petra! I was picturing the rod running front-to-back under the cab instead of side-to-side but I see, with your corner sink, sideways works better. I'm going to look for the small rods at BB&B next time I go to the city.

• natal
    16 years ago

All I can say is it has to be handy. In my case that means within inches of the sink. This towel is used strictly for hand drying.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

rmlanza - Everytime the dish towel thread comes around again and I have to see your adorable towel pig I get so envious!! :-) I've checked all the places I could think to find such a critter, but alas, the pig has eluded me! Sigh......

• megaul
    16 years ago

ctlady,

That looks just like my Golden, except, he likes to shred them!!! He likes paper towels, too!

• chefkev
    16 years ago

I bookmarked the following link from a GW post that I'm pretty sure was by "Taliaferro", but I tried and can't find the thread on a search. Anyways, I thought it was a neat option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous GW post for Towel Bar & Hook Set

• chefkev
    16 years ago

PS - If you didn't like the link I posted above, you could ask if ctlady's dog has any puppies.

• kclv
    16 years ago

I hang mine on the handle of the oven door. It hides the ugly drips that somehow got in between the glass on the door. Crappy oven.

• jshore
    16 years ago

I have one just like ctlady's, right down to the guilty expression on her face, but mine is 4 years old. That's why I keep it folded and placed on the counter next to the sink. Until my 3 teenagers come along. I do like that pig!

• holligator
    16 years ago

Cat mom, where'd you get those cool little towel bars?? I've been looking for some like that forever.

• gatorjaw
    16 years ago

Seriously, I need to know where to get a towel pig! That's awesome. :)

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I know gatorjaw! Isn't it the cutest?!

• kookoo2
    16 years ago

I really hate opening the door with wet hands just to dry them, so we picked bar handles for the lower cabinet doors. Each of our two sinks has a towel hanging on the cabinet door handle. This photo shows our prep sink with towel (the post-its are telling me where to put things away at the end of the remodel). Very handy, wide enough so the towel will dry fast, and no drippy hands on the door. If "formal" company's coming, I pick a more attractive one, and fold it more neatly.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Well, the other Robin said she got hers on clearance in a grocery store, I believe. But I checked places like Ross and TJ Maxx for weeks. Found a pig at World Market that would do for a towel pig, but wasn't THE pig. Then one day I walked into TJ Maxx again and THERE HE WAS! I snatched him right up and I was so happy I squealed (like a pig) and giggled all the way to the checkout.
    Good luck hunting!
    Robin

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

holligator, it's from Sugatsune and not too cheap I'm afraid (we made up the difference with our KD because I literally could not find anything else that would fit inside our cab doors--everything else was either too long or projected out too far, and even so, this one would be an even better fit if it projected out a little less).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugatsune towel bar

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

I do believe towel pig is blushing!

Sorry, had to do that...doncha love photoshop?

• chilkoot
    16 years ago

Hi... I too love the pig..but settled for replacing my hardware in one non visible bank of drawers with Lee Valley's stainless oval tube handles.....if you decide to do that make sure the drawer under the one you plan to use isn't your most popular drawer or you'll curse the towel in the way.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Oh, now that I've looked that little pig in the eye I MUST have him!! :-) He's twice as cute blushing!! And I've heard the whole "You can find one at TJ Maxx" lie - everytime someone says they found one there I run off, and no adorable little towel pig is waiting for ME!! Sigh..... Someday............

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL all this towel pig talk and someone came to me today at work and was talking about the simpsons movie and homer sings the "spider pig" song... now I have that stuck in my head with new lyrics for "Towel Pig" and images of running around the house with the towel pig.

I am thinking about doing 2 things for the towel... something like cat_mom for when company is over and then something under the upper cabs or somewhere where you can't see the holder when the towel is not on it near the sink for everyday use. Any ideas on how to get something like cat_mom's that will work on my shaker style cabs? I saw some rev-a-shelf ones but I think they were the wrong size for my doors.

cat_mom... your undersink pull outs look SOOO nice and organized - you've inspired me to do that on one side at least... I just have to wait till after they tear out the sink and put in a new one else it could get broken. (I am soooo afraid of them breaking the granite when tearing it out!!!)

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

Is it just me, or does that little guy look like JUST WIlbur? ...."SOME PIG" ;)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

well, since I also can NEVER find the terrific things that others seem to find at TJ Maxx, I had to "settle" for my towel bars rather than a functional, yet oh-so-cute towel pig......

mm--Our KD ordered the Sugatsune ones for us, but i remember coming across some sites that carried it if the Sugatsune site doesn't sell directly to consumers.

Thanks for the compliment on my pull-outs! My inclination would be to be organized, but my DH is so NOT, so I've pretty much thrown in the towel in the rest of the house 'til they are reno'd and/or furnished but was determined that the kitchen would start out all organized, with a place for everything, and everything in its place (I'm quite anal about things being put back EXACTLY where they came from--ask my DH!).

I will say, that all my drawers and pull-outs started out even more organized than they are now, what with trying out new cleansers and adding to my collection (can't bear to throw out full bottles and cans of stuff, even if I don't like them!), and with getting some new pots and pans and now trying to find storage for those (something that doesn't involve haphazard stacking in my new kitchen cabs!!!). Even though we added storage space with the reno, we still had a limited space within which to work (and still now DR furniture with an all-too necessary sideboard/buffet or other storage), and I really could've used a few more cabs and drawers.....

• geraniumwise_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Can someone enlighten me? Although cute,keeping a folded towel on top of a pig which makes more clutter on the counter doesn`t make sense to me! I would think the towel would not be able to air out very well.

• louiseredline
    12 years ago

You can get wide drawer pulls that are also towel holders. Put these on the top drawers under the counter. Put smaller ones on the lower ones. It might tempt you to change all of your drawer pulls and knobs to match, but you can also find a towel bar drawer pull that looks good with what you have.
    You can find them by searching for kitchen towel holder drawer pulls.

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Lisa, that's adorable! Is it chrome, or ceramic with a silvery paint?

• Lisa A
    7 years ago

It is ceramic with a silvery paint on it. Definitely breakable.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!