Software
Houzz Logo Print
evbrewer

Space age fire place ...

13 years ago
So my hubby and I just moved into a 50s modern house. Open floor concept and gorgeous windows, but this little friend is driving me nuts. I love the mantle but need help! Suggestions??

Comments (36)

  • 13 years ago
    LOVE the mantle!!!!!! Is it gas or wood? I would remove the brick "step" in front of the f/p and have the fireplace faced honed stone... white or grey. If the floor is damaged or incomplete under the "step" (what were they thinking?) a 1" slab of matching stone could fill the space. If the budget allows, I would put in a very modern gas insert with glass. Lucky you, wish the mantle were mine!
  • 13 years ago
    moving into a 50's house must mean you like the simple character, right ? So if yes, replace or paint the screen with a more modern color (use fireplace paint, of course) Copy the mantel that is there only build more of it upwards and use more of the brick as shelves and or like you would over a stove, a nice design framed out with that great molding ...have fun, keep your 50's character.
  • 13 years ago
    Ahhh. It's a wood burning and the problem is the hardwood was installed around the "step" so it makes it awkward to remove ... Thank you for suggestions!!!
  • 13 years ago
    I still think you can take out the step and replace it with a 1" stone insert for not much money, but if you do nothing else paint the brick all one colour! Let the mantle shine.
  • 13 years ago
    Just paint the brick black? That's an interesting idea. The walls will be painted ultra white; do you think the black will be over powering?? Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    What colour is your furniture? You can use a blue/black, grey/black or brown/black to soften the contrast. Dark grey, dark blue or even all white are options.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it would look great black...or Leigh's idea of grey/black. The sample picture has ultra white walls and it looks stark..but very nice!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! Black it is. Do we think it would look weird if I took out the step causing the fireplace to look like it was floating a bit??
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think so!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- I don't mind the deco style mantel surround but I think the hearth base has to go . The reason it bothers you is because it is a mixture of styles. The mantel surround is a modern art deco style and the rest is traditional style red brick and white tile hearth. Wrong together ! Cover the red brick and the floor where the base was with a black or white marble tile .Square the new marble tile on the floor out to meet with the front edges (points) of the mantel surround . Replace the old screen to something more modern maybe that has some chrome trim or get a modern tempored glass fire screen. Then have a modern deco style large round mirror above , something with a black or dark mahogany frame.
  • 13 years ago
    I think your firplace is horrid, and I doubt that it goes well with the rest of the house. First see if the fireplace works well. If it does, it is worth your while to have it totally re-designed and re-built. No halfway measures here. if it does not work well, maybe it can be sealed up in some way. As it is, it adds nothing to your room, and detracts a whole lot.
  • 13 years ago
    I think your firplace is horrid, and I doubt that it goes well with the rest of the house. First see if the fireplace works well. If it does, it is worth your while to have it totally re-designed and re-built. No halfway measures here. if it does not work well, maybe it can be sealed up in some way. As it is, it adds nothing to your room, and detracts a whole lot.
  • 13 years ago
    I would remove the brick "step" in front of the f/p .

    Love the mantle.!

    Agree with Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Not sure I agree with the horrid comment and certainly not one to cover a fireplace up but I will try taking out the step or cover the existing brick. First black then demo then covering with another material??
  • 13 years ago
    I'm worried if you completely remove the hearth it will make the FP opening look too high or off center from the floor to the top of the brick. I'd consider just putting a natural stone on the top of the hearth.
  • 13 years ago
    How big is the wall to the left? Do you have a picture taken from opposite corner of that room?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    hello,

    Remember the bricks can be completely covered up with any type of granite, granite tiles, or natural stone veneers. They can be very snazzy. If you love a real wood burning fire place as I do... I'd keep it wood burning. Just change out the insert to a more updated style

    Keeping the mantle is the big issue... I'm not crazy about your mantle...but that's entirely personal... people will be polarized with the existing mantle... A conversation piece at the least! could be fun...

    A Must.... extend the "step" to go under the mantle... The mantle will dead into the step... this will give you a larger hearth area making the unit look balanced.... as it is now the top out weighs the bottom.
    any carpenter can trim the mantle and extend the bottom step in each direction and cover all with the new material...

    Keeping the mantle white with a honed carrara tile - not shiney, would be keeping with the era.... black slate tiles would also be dramatic.... Both should be inexpensive... top of the step should be a slab... I would stay with the tone on tone... white and white because of the awkward positioning on the wall... this will blend better... The mantle has plenty of drama on it's own without drawing more attention to the area with a contrast...

    Good luck...
    Linda Berg
    http://www.designingrichmondhome.com
    http://www.designingrichmond.com
  • 13 years ago
    Ahh thank you!! I agree, taking out the step would be awkward with a floating fireplace. I like the idea of extending the step out to the sides.

    One side of the mantle has a 5 foot window and the other side has a 5 foot wall.
  • 13 years ago
    I would recommend checking the photo gallery on vertical-dimension.com - Real Stone section. For me it is the easiest way (from technical point) to find the option you may like.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A nice permanently-installed or free-hanging art tile mural mounted over the stone above your fireplace could add that special look. For interesting options you may want to consider what can be done even with your own artwork. Virtually anything that you can paint, draw, or photograph can be transferred to and kiln-fired on porcelain... see the photos on my Houzz page for starting ideas
  • 13 years ago
    If you find the stone color and shape which match your taste and style it would be very easy to paint window frame accordingly and there is a stone panels to cover the gap on the floor should you decide to remove the base.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    This fireplace was originally brick from floor to ceiling with the exact same brass screen, tragically 1970's painted in an even more tragic flat realtor-beige. We tore out all of the brick for this build-out, however you could go over the existing brick in your case, revealing a little brick between the casement and the fireplace and paint an accent color. If you have a true open chimney, you can simply remove the screen, which is what we did here.
  • 13 years ago
    Is this what "extend the 'step' to go under the mantle" means?
  • 13 years ago
    Whoa!!!! So cool!! I can't believe you just did that. I would love to see it in black. These are such great suggestions - thank you everyone!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    evbrewer,

    All the brick in black?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes please :)
  • 13 years ago
    Yes please :)
  • 13 years ago
    geeeez....
    There are people on Houzz with the skill and the software.

    I am not one of them....
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In my opinion, it would be stunning painted an eggshell black or BM carbon copy with that beautiful mantel painted a semi-gloss white!

    The brass will clean up nicely.

    Darzy or Linda [CW Inc.] could suggest a surface for the ledge.

    victorianbungalowranch is the resident design and architectural historian
    on Houzz for accuracy with the period.
    http://www.houzz.com/user/victorianbungalowranch

    It should be relatively inexpensive.

    What color do you want to paint the walls?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Contemporary Living Room design by Dallas Interior Designer Traci Connell Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    CW Inc.,

    I am mortified!
    Why did I think your name was Linda?
  • 13 years ago
    You certainly have more skills than I do. The house is very modern and all the walls will be painted white with large windows and patterns for pops of color. I love your suggestions! Thanks a million!!
  • 13 years ago
    pssst, evbrewer,

    Don't you have vintage stainless steel appliances you are replacing?

    Check out this kitchen that will be renovated:

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-ideas-dsvw-vd~258215

    aja
  • 13 years ago
    Many of you asked to see the after photo. Nothing but paint and I love it! Thank you all for the suggestions. Now on to the next ....
  • 13 years ago
    awesome!!!!!