Software
Houzz Logo Print
vtbdoodle

Need your help with kitchen remodel

18 years ago

Hello allÂIÂve logged many hours on this site but have never posted. Now I would appreciate your help. We plan to remodel our kitchen, replacing doors and drawers on the base cabinets and completely replace wall cabinets. IÂve selected Wellborn cabinets, maple wood, Savannah style, butter cream finish. ItÂs the same color that is on my cabinets now. I have a small kitchen and will not change the footprint. The change that I believe will make a difference for us is to remove the cabinets above the peninsula and install new wall cabinets that go to the ceiling. I would appreciate any thoughts on this plan. The only appliance I will replace is a new refrigerator. Our plan is to replace with a KitchenAid, French door, Counter Depth. Thanks all!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

  • 18 years ago

    We eliminated the cabinet that was above our peninsula, too. It made a huge difference in the look and feel of both the kitchen and the adjoining family room (soon to be dining room).

    Here's what it looks like now (obviously we're not quite done):

    Here's pretty much the same view before:

    (we neglected to take formal "before" pictures so this is the best I have)

  • 18 years ago

    Thank you! Yes, it's a tremendous difference. Your granite is beautiful!

  • 18 years ago

    I think eliminating the cabinets above your peninsula will be a big change! It will really open up your kitchen. I can't wait to see the result. Do you have room to widen your peninsula counter to 36" and have an overhang with stools? That's similar to what I'll be doing. I see that you also have a door like I do right past the peninsula.

    I'm curious why you chose Wellborn cabinets? I've been looking at cabinets, and Wellborn was one of the cabinet lines that I was considering, along with Mouser and custom. I also want maple cabinets with a creamy finish. Wellborn is more within my budget. Thanks and good luck!

    Barb

  • 18 years ago

    I thought you were saying you will be closing in that space with cabinets? Are you taking them out or taking them out and putting full length ones in?

  • 18 years ago

    "...is to remove the cabinets above the peninsula and install new wall cabinets that go to the ceiling."

    I'm confused as well. Where are the full height cabinets going?

    Nicole

  • 18 years ago

    I'm sorry for the confusion in my post. I will be removing cabinets above the peninsula. The new cabinets that extend to the ceiling will be installed on the wall opposite side of the room. If you are facing the sink, it is to your left.

    Barb, I chose Wellborn because it was in my budget and I liked the finishes on their maple. Also, the retailer in my town has been the most responsive and easiest to work with. He did some bathroom cabinets for us a couple years ago and we've been most pleased with them. I have a friend who built a new house and installed all Mouser cabinets. They are beautiful, but more than I could spend. Her cabinets are white painted maple -- it's a very "Marths Stewart" looking kitchen.

    I appreciate your responses!

  • 18 years ago

    I lived with those cabinets over the peninsula for 27 years and hated them every day. Thanks for reminding me to continue being grateful they are GONE.

  • 18 years ago

    That one simple move of taking away the cabinets will transform your kitchen - enlarging it and making it brighter!
    You'll be so happy you did. Can't wait to see what it looks like without them. Go for it!

  • 18 years ago

    I eliminated not only cabinets above a peninsula but the peninsula as well (it was pretty short) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it opened things up. I bet you will be very happy with the change!!!

  • 18 years ago

    I think it will look great. Would it be possible to extend the peninsula to the sliding door? That way you would have more counter space and could possibly put some cabinets on the other side of the kitchen peninsula to make up for the cabinets you lost overhead. Hope that is clear. I know I always can use more cabinet space.

  • 18 years ago

    What mustbnuts said, is exactly what we are doing. We extended the peninsula out 10' toward the family room, took out the soffit - and did away with the uppers over the peninsula. Here's a link to pics of our before - much like yours - and after. Well, kinda after! We're mid-remodel now. But the pics will show you what I mean. BTW, the wall cabs opposite the peninsula WILL go completely up to the ceiling after the molding is installed.
    Good luck! I think you'll be very happy having that "obstacle" removed.
    ---Boxie

    Here is a link that might be useful: Our kitchen remodel

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

    Mustbnutas  I would love to extend the peninsula to the sliding door, but unfortunately our hardwood floors were put in after our house was built and is not under the cabinets.

    Boxiebabe, love your new kitchen. Your cabinets are beautiful! I canÂt wait to see more photos.

    All  I will post photos as we progress.

  • 18 years ago

    I'm back with another question. I was told yesterday that Wellborn (my cabinet of choice) has a real problem with quality. Has anyone here had any experience with them? I was told that their drawers were not very sturdy and that customers had a lot of complaints. Thank you for any information!

  • 18 years ago

    Gee, where did you hear negative things about Wellborn? Someone I work with has Mouser in his kitchen and Wellborn in his bathroomss. He is very happy with his Wellborn cabinets, although he feels that Mouser is better (yeah, sure more $$ too).I'd also be interested to know any thoughts on Wellborn as I am looking at this line also. Good luck Sheltn!
    Barb

  • 18 years ago

    Hey, Barb. How ironic, one of my friends recently built a house and she has Mouser cabinets in her kitchen -- beautiful! It's more $$ than I want to spend though. As for the comment about Wellborn quality, it was from a salesperson at a store who used to sell Wellborn but no longer has them. He told me they had too many problems. But, after doing some research this morning, I discovered that their new line that replaced Wellborn is Door Components. Both companies are located in Haleyville Alabama. How ironic!!! I don't now if you are familiar with Alabama (we are) but it's such a small town (Haleyville) that I suspect it is either the same company or some of the employees left Wellborn and started Door Components. Nothing factual in that assumption, just my guess. As a matter of fact, both companies have the same door style name, color name. I am going with Wellborn, Maple, Savannah Style, Buttercream finish. And, I am going to stay with my original selection and installer. Personally, it discredits a salesperson when he/she puts down a vendor they don't sell.

    By the way, we have Wellborn in one bathroom and I am very happy with it.

  • 18 years ago

    Funny, we ADDED cabinets over our peninsula. However, our ceilings are 10', the cabinets are well above our heads, don't go all the way to the ceiling, and have glass doors on both sides with glass shelves and lighting inside. Plus I filled them with only crystal and glassware. So they don't feel heavy or appear to block off our kitchen at all IMO. I have never had a hutch or any other way to display all the crystal we received as wedding gifts 15 1/2 years ago and we needed the extra storage anyway. We have a big fat decorative support post (our installer called it Mr. Beefy) that goes down to the counter. It works for us but I can see why you elliminated yours. It would drive me nuts to have cabinets like those over my peninsula!
    Good luck with your remodel, can't wait to see the "after" pics!
    Robin

  • 18 years ago

    Sheltn:
    That is pretty ironic that we both know people with Mouser and Wellborn cabinets! I am waiting for a KD that sells both to get back to me. He's reworking an estimate for a "cheaper" door in Mouser and a door in Wellborn. I have my contractor all picked out and ready to roll. At this point I'm pricing cabinets. I also want cream cabinets. Does the Wellborn butter cream look like a yellow or cream? I haven't looked at it in person yet. I'm also going to try HD for a quote. I have a very similar layout as your kitchen! Can't wait to see your finished product!
    Barb

  • 18 years ago

    Robin, your cabinet sounds very pretty. I love the glass doors and display.

    Barb, butter cream does not have a yellow look to it -- is creamy. Have you seen Vanilla Bean (I think it's in some other lines)? It is very similar to that color. I believe you'll like it. Are you replacing appliances too? I'm kind of back to square one on that one. At one point, I had decided to not replace appliances, but now I am leaning toward doing so. So many decisions!

  • 18 years ago

    Sheltn:
    No, I'm not replacing my appliances. About 5 years ago I started replacing them. I have a Kenmore Elite refrig, Kenmore Elite DW, Maytag Gemini Electric Stove (LOVE IT!), and a Maytag OTR MW. They are all bisque. I thought about getting a wood hood with insert above the range, but too much $$. I then decided to stick with the OTR MW that I like. Keeping the OTR MW also solved the "where the heck do I put the MW" layout problem that I was having. The only new appliance that I hope to add is a 24" UC refrig. Not a wine cooler, but a true refrig. I'm looking forward to freeing up some Refrig space by using the new UC refrig for soda, beer, water. My contractor suggested I get a new counter-depth refrig that doesn't stick out as much as mine. I just can't justify spending the over $2,000 for a new one for just a couple of inches, especially when I really like the refrig I have. Decisions, decisions...
    Barb

    Barb

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner