Software
Houzz Logo Print
edie_tn

My pool has arrived

17 years ago

Dig started on Wednesday and the pool arrived yesterday. It took them longer to level than planned, so no trenching has been done to the equipment yet. At this point it has only been partially backfilled, so there is about two feet of water until Monday. I'm thrilled with the size and the color that I chose and the projects in front of me are mounting!!!

We just had limbs cut from the two large trees in our yard which I am thankful for. The house you see in the back of our yard is the main reason my husband wanted to buy this place. He plays drums and it is his "juke joint man cave" I guess. As you can see, we had a sidewalk going through the yard to the back house, and I have promised him that we will make sure and reconnect a walkway to that house when we pour our new concrete.

I hope I'm doing this picture posting thing right....


Excuse the mess on my patio.


"Homer" is the first one in!

Comments (9)

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yay! You got pictures up! I'm so glad I didn't have to watch my pool actually come over my house. That is scary! I love all the trees around your place. We have started our arbor, almost one year after the pool! The projects never end!

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My IT trained son helped me figure it out, so I think I have the jest of posting pictures now, although I think I did it the more difficult way. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I think I have decided that I will recycle some of the concrete sidewalk that was pulled up and make a patio out of it (like a flagstone look), which would come off the side of my existing patio and then step up to the new deck around the pool. I'm on my way out to start pulling pieces out of the pile. So yes, I can definitely see that the projects are gonna keep coming! By the way, I am the blond in the purple shirt who obviously needs to lose a few pounds before getting in that bathing suit next spring. Good incentive though!!

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Remind me again which pool you chose including color?

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I am curious why you chose a fiberglass pool instead of gunite. What made you decide? What part of the country are you in. May I ask what this will cost?

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Great shots, keep taking them! I thought my wife was going to have a stroke when they crained our fiberglass pool into the back yard from out front.

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    alysenlynn: this is a Trilogy pool, Orion model which is 28x14. The solid surface color is "zen".

    womanowned: There was a time when fiberglass would not have even been a consideration for me. I wanted small and simple and could probably have gotten gunite for not much more than what I am paying here since "simple" is what I am after. I grew up with a gunite pool, and I had a vinyl liner built 12 years ago in my previous house. I have been researching a pool for this house for about a year. The few people that I know who have fiberglass pools, have never had an issue with them and they are ancient. My problem in the past is that I have not cared for the way they look without the cantilevered edge and waterline tile. I liked the idea of the solid surface color choices as well. Without a doubt, gunite is more preferred around here, but I chose fiberglass for the size and ease/cost of maintenance going forward. I specifically wanted this model/manufacturer and this is the first Trilogy pool to be installed in Memphis. I am in Memphis, TN. There are way more gunite builders here than fiberglass, but interestingly enough, some of the gunite builders are advertising fiberglass installation. As a matter of fact the other quotes I received were from gunite builders who are just getting started with fiberglass.

    We are now having to move equipment, etc. due to plumbing issue which is gonna change some electrical costs and plumbing costs. I also am changing deck size/shape which may change things a little, as well as having some additional concrete torn out and re-poured which does not effect the pool area, but cost of everything will be $36,000 give or take a little. This includes 3 deck jets, and salt water chorlinator, stained concrete cantilevered coping. I am, of course, hoping that I have made the right choice. So far, I feel pretty good about it.

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    jimcufsem - That pool moved so fast, I thought I was gonna choke my husband and son, as one needed new batteries for his camera, and the other was out front for the initial shots when he realized his disk was full... therefore, no pictures of it at the street. Anyway, it was pretty quick, but really fun to watch.

    We had a rainy day today, and are expecting another one just like it tomorrow, so no action & lots of mucky, gooey mud. We're having a lovely time trying to keep from having muddy dog prints through the house when trying to to let them go out. This rain is gonna slow us down a little bit, but what do you do?

    Anyway, I went back and found a couple of pictures of your pool. I look forward to the day when all is done and I can putter around and pick at my plants and plop in the pool! I would love to hear how you feel about having fiberglass, and the care of it.

  • 17 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Edie was our first pool, so I have nothing to compare it too. I have had zero problems so far, and maybe spend $125 a season on chemicals at the most. Just a simple brushing and vacuum maybe once a week and thats it! Looking back my wife thinks she would have added a handrail to help getting in the pool, as the steps visually kind of blend together. We did not do any tile around the inside pool, as I like the clean look against the cantilever concrete edge. I use one of those Mr Clean magic sponges to clean the pool around the waters edge, and it works great. keep up the pics!

  • 16 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Update:

    Well.... the rain is absolutely making me crazy. Immediately after the pool was put in the ground, it rained for two weeks straight. Nothing we could do but keep a pump running 24/7 and wait for rain to stop. Last week, it was clear enough to allow the installation of the pipes, lights, skimmer, etc. by the pool builder. We were ultimately able to get piping across the yard to a newly installed cleanout at the sewer line across the yard & I hope the slope is enough to not cause problems later. It has been inspected and approved. We had to go rent a trench digger from Home Depot and drag it home because the plumber was "crying" about digging the trench. The pool builder covered and graded all of his trenching up, and the plumber was bothered that they did not leave the trenches open in order to make his job easier. So, we fixed the issue by getting the trench digger for him. The electricians began their work and have taken a whole lot longer than we thought it would take. Also, the pool installer dug up electrical lines to our back house, which means more for the electrician to do to repair it. Then the electrician was bothered that the pool installer buried the wires when he graded, because the electrican tried to un-bury them and couldn't find them in order to tie back in to the original cables. Therefore, the trench digger came in handy again, as the electrician then had to use it to trench to the back house in order to lay new lines. Of course, the electricians did not get finished before it started raining again last weekend. Finally, today, the "electrical rough install" was inspected and approved. Of course, it has been raining again all day today. The electricans still need to come back and finish, but at least the ground is ready for the deck.... IF IT WOULD EVER STOP RAINING LONG ENOUGH! Our back yard looks like a large ant farm... The mud is making us crazy with the wet dogs, gate that we keep having to prop up so the dogs won't get out, etc.... I finally gave up on my poor kitchen floor.... the dirt... the mud.... the dogs...

    Weather forecast was initially for 6 good sunny days after today, and now it has changed to rain starting again on Monday.... I actually brought a couple of tarps home this morning in an attempt to help... I guess something is better than nothing.

    Anyway, I am amazed that this fiberglass pool has been sitting in the ground for a month without concrete yet, with all this rain, & she's holding her own. The installer has been great with checking on us and making sure a pump is running when necessary. He was even out of town today and had someone from another pool company come by to set up a pump again, as he had taken his with him last week. I am so glad that I purchased a pool that "required" that it be laid in, and backfilled with gravel. I think this has helped us. This was the first pool in gravel that this installer has done, and he said that if this has been sand, we may have had an issue. The first two weeks, the pool wasn't even backfilled all the way.... and it remained level.

    Anyway, the concrete guys left their trailer with sand in our yard last Saturday.... Now we just need the weather to cooperate!!!!

    Tomorrow my husband and I will be turning dirt over and doing whatever we can to help this dirt dry & hopefully the rain forecast for next week is small enough that we can stay dry enough to get concrete poured early next week.

    I told my H that next spring we will be enjoying our little pool and laughing about this muddy fiasco........ Hope I'm right.