Software
Houzz Logo Print
waltbsc

Art for fireplace

15 years ago

Me again!! Well, before I pull the trigger I thought I would see what everyone thinks of our final two choices. We would like to create a focal point in our room using artwork and then pulling a color or two out for the window panels, pillows, etc... We really do like the current print but we're trying to add some color to our room and right now it just blends, though nicely, in our opinion.

Here is the fireplace and other wall:

Here is choice number one (24x36) that I favor:

Number two (40x30) I love the colors in this one too..this one pulls a few colors out of the other picture

Comments (54)

  • 15 years ago

    I agree with happyladi's suggestion, love them both!

  • 15 years ago

    Lyban...Thanks for posting that link.. there are a lot of really pretty paintings there and I enjoyed looking at all of them

  • 15 years ago

    Agree that you have created a soothing and restful environment and that the reds and oranges in those paintings, esp #2, will actively work against your decorating scheme. If you can find something that incorporates the soothing colors you are already using, plus ONE complementary color (for your blue gray, that would be almost a raspberry, I think) you could preserve the serenity of the room while adding a single, more effective punch of color. JMO, of course---you know art and cocktail dresses, everyone has their opinions and favorites!

  • 15 years ago

    I like #1 alot, but I think a horizontal picture like #2 would look better.

  • 15 years ago

    I like #1. Could you use the other in another room. It has so much color and your room has a cool(colorwise) feeling. The first one brings in some color but in a smaller dose which I think would add just the right amount of feeling or tone to the room.

  • 15 years ago

    I've been looking at your room and I thought I would help you infuse some color in your room:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

  • 15 years ago

    eta: I agree with some others in saying that the colors are a bit too jarring in the pictures you posted. Adding color around the room will help to warm up the space but not overwhelm it. I hope you like it:)

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks for all the comments...also thanks to htnspz for the visual!! I should have stated the art above the sofa is new so it's not going anywhere. The flash really brought out the metallic in the painting but there are many shades of blue,gray and even light purple.

    We would only purchase one of these since this is cutting into my landscape budget..haha

    Decisions, decisions!!! Thanks again

  • 15 years ago

    Also, I think the color orange would be a better, slightly less harsh way of bringing in some warmth.

  • 15 years ago

    Walt, I like the painting over the fireplace but I think if you want to infuse some brighter colors, you're going to have a bit of a struggle because the tone of the art over the fireplace is more subdued, elegant and quiet in contrast to the vibrant hues you seem to be wanting to bring into the room.

  • 15 years ago

    Agreed..the wife wants some color and I think she will enjoy looking at your idea's. We still need window treatments too and have actually tried a couple but returned them. We thought we would try figuring out the art and then moving on to panels of some sort. I really do like the orange and the pic above the fireplace can always be used somewhere else since we're updating all area's of our house.

    Here are the "missing" walls since we're talking about adding color in other ways:

    The pillows were returned too..haha

  • 15 years ago

    Hmmmm... I'll give it some thought. It's definitely a challenge but as long as you take the colors and put them around the room, it will work much more harmoniously. So, if you were to pick one of the pics that you were considering, you would want to make sure you got that red and orange around the room to lessen the shock of the color. Does that make sense? Maybe you could even find a fabric or painting that had all of the colors in it (gold, orange, red) in order to unify the color scheme.

    Your room is very inspiring being in it's blank canvas, I'll see if I think up anything interesting.

  • 15 years ago

    Yep, everything about the room is new, literally, in the past 5 weeks so we're trying to decorate. I love pipdogs room that has a similar wall color and the orange curtains if you've seen that thread.

    I have a TERRIBLE problem of wanting things done yesterday with my projects so maybe I just need to sit back and enjoy everything we've done and do a little at a time.

  • 15 years ago

    Your room looks great! I would start with getting window treatments and cushions, and then look at artwork. You could introduce colour with candles, cushions, accessories....for instance, your current artwork above the fireplace could stay there and be joined by coloured candles, accessories, etc.

    That's my two cents....get your fabrics in there first and then see where that takes you.

  • 15 years ago

    Suggest stronger, bigger frame for piece above sofa. It is floating.

    Also, if you're keeping that in situ, I would suggest trying to find something with a bold gold/yellow color as your fireplace art.

  • 15 years ago

    I agree the picture over the sofa looks like its floating. You don't have much color in the room but you have a lot of contrast - you need to balance it with something on that wall in a dark frame. Have you tried the sofa picture over the fireplace? Just a thought. You might need the contrast there with a dark frame as well.

  • 15 years ago

    We've talked about adding a frame to the canvas (Les917 said the same thing when we first hung it) so I guess I'll take it to a shop and get some pricing. The only negative, from what I was told, is the canvas may stick out the back if that bothers us.

    So would you guys recommend something around 3-4"???

    Thanks again!!! I've become obsessed with trying to make our space attractive by considering everyone's thoughts and opinions. It does aggravate the wife a little but I think she appreciate's the results. We made it through a kitchen reno that I conjured up so the rest is downhill..haha This is our dream home and we don't plan to leave so I'm really trying to be patient (yeah right) and make good choices for the long run....

  • 15 years ago

    Would you indulge us and try the sofa art above the fireplace? It might not need a frame there, but also might not have enough contrast to the brick. Might be interesting to try and if it looks fabulous, then see what you could find for above the sofa.

  • 15 years ago

    olychick - Sure, I'll post some pics this evening when I get home. I'm curious myself! We really, really love the painting but I guess it may not have been the best piece for our space. We'll see how it looks above the fireplace and if it needs a frame we'll give that a shot before moving it to another room.

  • 15 years ago

    Your wife may want color, but does she want orange? That's the question I'd ask her. Not many people have orange as an accent color, even though it's lovely in some of the rooms I've seen.

    The first picture has a special meaning to our family and I gave a framed print for my son. So I'm definitely partial to it.

    I'm not a fan of orange in the home, although I do have an Orange Crush metal lunch box, lol, so I can't recommend the other pictures.

    Orange doesn't give a room that cozy feel, IMO.

    Have you thought about other types of art pieces to go on the mantel?

  • 15 years ago

    You could also try keeping the current print over the fireplace and adding a few other things on either side that do have some color. A horizontal print I think would look best because its a horizontal sized space - wider than it is tall but placing a few other items on the shelf would help to give it more width as well.

  • 15 years ago

    Yes, three or four inches in width, and I would do something unusual like a dark coppery/gold frame.

  • 15 years ago

    I tried to get a good pic showing the colors but I didn't have much luck...

    Here it is above the fireplace. We kinda like it but think it may need a frame from our initial reaction. I'm going to the attic to pull down a print that has a large wood frame to see what that does and will post a pic.

  • 15 years ago

    Just to see wood frame...

  • 15 years ago

    The choices are okay. I like the gold one color wise but I like the shape of the 2nd one better.
    btw, why are you trying to add color to the room? Is it because it feels cold or because you're just craving color? I ask because you can really warm up a room without color but with textiles, natural materials like sisal and jute, and by varying textures. It could be very lively in gray and gold and perhaps some pastel colors like those present in the painting.

  • 15 years ago

    The woman says it's missing something and pointed to color so I've been on a mission to figure it out. I thought finding a piece for the fireplace would fill that void but it's not that easy :)

    I'm really MOTIVATED to get the "fix" in process so I can finally start on landscaping. When we moved in last year that was our agreement...We would update the inside and when we were done with everything except bathrooms I could start on the outside. We just spent 10k in this room so it's time..."Help a husband out"

  • 15 years ago

    Love your progress. Maybe someone could photoshop a frame on your art above the fireplace. I think you it may just feel cold because there are very few accessories around yet.

  • 15 years ago

    I'll photoshop a frame for you later today as well as look at perhaps a mirror or something else. It might need a little more contrast than the frame can give it.

  • 15 years ago

    The sofa picture above the fireplace is not right-too light with the background of the bricks. I would keep it and frame it for above the sofa. I agree a darker coppery color frame looks like it would compliment the picture.

  • 15 years ago

    Yes, it is floating right away over the mantel. The light on light is all wrong. It looks good over the sofa but first needs a bigger frame.

    what about a mirror over the mantel, with one of those frames that you almost can't tell if it is gold or silver? In a round, not oval, shape? You have many rectangles and squares in the room, and one perfect round shape would be lovely. Perhaps a Federal style mirror in gold and black? Like this:

  • 15 years ago

    Thank you for the close up of the glass mosaic piece, btw. That is helpful, I think your accent color is mustard, about the color (or a little darker) than your lamps, which are perfect both in size, color and style for the room. Are you dead set on original art, or are prints acceptable?

  • 15 years ago

    I came across this landscape that looks v. good in a room that is painted somewhat like your room and has a similar, quiet vibe in the furnishings:


    Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down for painting in room similar to yours

  • 15 years ago

    Walt, what do you think about this direction?{{!gwi}}

  • 15 years ago

    Jut saw the scale of the mirror is not right after looking at the website. Let me see what else I can find.

  • 15 years ago

  • 15 years ago

  • 15 years ago

  • 15 years ago

  • 15 years ago


  • 15 years ago

    Hi Walt, as you can see I can go on and on but I thought I would stop there. I am merely illustrating that there are many ways to make a room warmer and more interesting. Your room did feel pretty blank and cold so the addition of art and accessories will help it fill out.
    In the first pics, I just wanted to show you that you could keep it pretty neutral. In the last pics, I added that plum colored hue that would be a good complement to the lamp color. In any way, whatever color you choose, then be sure to deposit it around the room.
    I put a frame around your present artwork and while I don't love it, it sort of works. Of course, I would rather see a more square or round image at the fireplace and a more square picture over the sofa like I have illustrated. You decide how you like it because it's your space.
    Anyways, good luck!

  • 15 years ago

    Whatever artwork you choose for above the mantel, it should be smaller than the fireplace opening. You want a visual of "decreasing mass" as your eye goes upward... otherwise the wall will seem top-heavy.

  • 15 years ago

    I like the artwork you selected. I think the first one adds just enough color. However, I am not sure of the scale of it for over the fireplace--maybe tape it out to see. Also, not sure if the gray would look too washed out against the gray fireplace.

    I also like your current artwork over the couch. However, it does appear to be floating.

    I think it looks good unframed--the style seems best unframed. I def don't care for it with a gold frame.

    Maybe you could add a long shelf under it--a slim modern one?

    Or does it have to hang horizontally? Could it be hung vertically between the 2 windows?

    I don't think its right over the fireplace as the gray of the fireplace washes it out.

    Good luck and I love everything you have done so far!!

  • 15 years ago

    Here is my 2 cents worth. You have done a great job so far.
    Take a break, summer is here. do the landscapeing. Then when that is done you will have new energy for the inside. In the meantime, you know how it is when you are not looking for something , it pops up snd you see all kinds of things that work.

  • 15 years ago

    Out of the two pictures you posted I like the first, though I agree, the scale may be off. The second is just too jarring. That being said, I still like the tree picture you already havve. It's serene, even with minimal color. I think whatever you choose should have a dark wood frame to go with the wooden mantel. I agree that you should go landscape and in the meantime, your wife can fill those amazing bookshelves, adding color that way. You have a beautiful home and a lifetime to fill it with objects that are meaningful. In the meantime, the room with tree pic as is, looks lovely.

  • 15 years ago

    Hi Everyone! Long story short, we purchased picture number one. I know many people don't think it will look right but we're willing to give it a shot. What pushed us to pull the trigger was a $100 price drop after contacting the artist. If it doesn't work here we have many other empty rooms that will need art one day. The painting is basically the same size as the current print, 24x36. Since it's a stretched canvas we'll probably have it framed but we'll see what happens when it arrives. The artist also stated the painting looks much better in person (I guess she should say that..haha) and that the colors are more subtle so that also helped our decision.

    We've made an amazing transformation in the past couple of months with everyone's help on this forum and I will continue to post as long as I'm welcome! I still can't believe it looked like this 6 weeks ago..sorry for those of you that have seen my pics and are sick of seeing them in my threads..I guess it's like my first child (something else we have to work on later this year..haha) and I keep showing off pictures.

  • 15 years ago

    Who is the artist for the first one?

  • 15 years ago

    Her name is Malorcka

    Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy link

  • 15 years ago

    Wow Walt! You've done a wonderful job.

  • 15 years ago

    I am so glad you ordered one of those prints. Can hardly wait to see the results. I, for one, do not believe it is too colorful.

  • 15 years ago

    Your room does have a similar vibe to pipdog's amazingly beautiful room.

    How about the art piece over her fireplace. It's a slightly darker version of the colors already in your room.

    Here's the link to the print....

    Here is a link that might be useful: artwork