Software
Houzz Logo Print
bethlcsw

Help needed- when to refinish hardwoods?

18 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should have the floors refinished in the kitchen before the cabinets are installed or after. The contractor wants to do it after because they might get scratched but I am worried about my white painted cabinets getting damaged and coated with stain if they are refinished after.

What have other people done in this situation?

Thanks.

Beth

Comments (7)

  • 18 years ago

    We did one coat before the cabinets were installed and a second coat, three weeks later, when the kitchen was 95% done. It worked out really well. The floors are finished to the walls, not to the cabinet edges. Also, the first coat had plenty of time to dry and cure. Plus, any scuffs or drips that the guys got on the floors in the interim were taken care of with the second poly coat. My floor guy scuffed by hand for the second coat and was really careful around the cabinets so we didn't have any splashes on the cabinetry. I'd definitely do it that way again.

  • 18 years ago

    We have existing hardwood on our main floor and are installing hardwood in the kitchen, sanding and staining all to match. They are demo-ing the kitchen, the installing hardwood, sanding and staining, two coats of water-based poly, then install cabinets, final third coat of poly goes on after.

  • 18 years ago

    i did the same as redroze and everything worked out really well. i was worried about my cabinets getting banged up and everything worked out really well. i also used the water based poly.

  • 18 years ago

    good suggestions. I'm having my floor guy out to my house on Friday for an estimate. Are people trending towards the water based poly these days? We had hardwood installed upstairs about 2 years ago and used oil based poly. Of course we were out of the house for a week and it still smelled when we got home.

  • 18 years ago

    That makes alot of sence. I have e-mailed the contractor with this idea. I feel certain that he will come up with a reason doing it the way I suggest will not work or will cost me more. I am getting pretty burned out with the whole process but that is another story...

    I also asked him about the oil based/water based issue.

    Thanks again

    Beth

  • 18 years ago

    We did the same - installed floors, stained, one coat of (oil) poly - then installed cabinets. We are even waiting until after appliances are installed before we do the final coat.

  • 18 years ago

    We had a new maple floor installed during our remodel. Installers applied TWO coats of poly, then weeks later the cabinets were installed, and then the floor guys came back to do a final and third coat of poly. I think it was water based, but I don't remember now. When we were seeking bids, we asked for three coats and most of the installers agreed that three coats were best for a kitchen application. Our floor gets lots of use and so far it's holding up, but of course it's wood, so it shows some of the use.