Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Alaska Quilt done

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Last fall, knowing that my family was going to be doing an Alaska vacation in early 2013, I started this quilt for my brother. If you were at Retreat you might remember me working on it there. I planned to give it to him for his birthday in April, but didn't have it done. He'll be here for a visit in a couple weeks so I decided it was time to put other projects aside and get it quilted. I finished it this afternoon.

The border is an aurora print I purchased on a cruise we all took to Alaska in 2007. The inner border is a medley of metallics for a northern lights kind of effect. The quilting is supposed to look like swirling snowflakes, with a blue/white variegated thread.

Here's a close up:

I wasn't working from a pattern so I really didn't know if it would end up looking balanced or anywhere near my 'vision', but all in all I'm pretty pleased with the results.

The place we all stayed was a cabin on Cleary Summit, north of Fairbanks. The snow was beautiful during the day, but each night the skies cleared and showed a million stars. We were lucky to see amazing displays of the northern lights every night. It was a magical vacation. I've called this quilt "The Skies of Cleary Summit".

Kate

Comments (26)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, the borders do look like northern lights. The quilting looks like stars to me, so the name is perfect. I know he is going to love it.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations... I know you wanted to wrap this up and your vision turned out beautifully!!! The quilting looks great...he is sure to cherish this glowing gem!
    V.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Oh this is beautiful!! What a treasure ....love the swirls and stars! ...and you did that with no pattern!! Wow!!!!! Very, very nice..........

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Looks like you had fun designing it and weaving the memories and the feel of the place. Good work!
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Wonderfully pulled off! Great job!

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That turned out great. I know he will love it. Good job.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very beautiful! I loved it at Retreat. The unique fabric choices & random stars in blue are perfect. He is sure to love it. This one is sure to be hard to part with! You captured the essence of your trips and I can see The Northern Lights!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, it's beautiful! I know your brother will love it, and the special memories that inspired it!

Donna

• fran1523
    10 years ago

That is spectacular just as your trip must have been. What a thoughtful gift. Great job.

• day2day
    10 years ago

What a beautiful quilt!
    I like the swirls and stars.
    Good Fabric choice for the pieced stars.... they have 'twinkly' movement.
    He'll love it!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your comments!

I took a picture of it outside today; the sunlight really sparkles on the metallic fabric border.

The blues for the pieced stars came from Connecting Threads. I can't recall exactly when I bought them but at the time I couldn't resist the color.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

See what I mean about the metallic border?

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

It sparkles even more in the sunshine!!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Good choices and impressive all around. Brother will be pleased for sure. Congratulations. TFS

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

This maybe a double post the first one just disappeared!

I remember the quilt from retreat too. You are so creative Kate, he will love it!
    Rosa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Beautiful job, Kate. I'm so impressed by those of you who actually design a quilt as well as execute it. Maybe someday...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

You have a beauty there, Kate. Very special.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A special thanks to littlehelen for teaching me to do free motion loops! They worked great for the swirling snowflake trails.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Nice quilt, I am sure it will be well received

Jackie

• polardream
    10 years ago

Kate, it turned out beautifully. I am sure your brother will love it!

Sue

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I love your fabrics. My dh worked on the pipeline in Alaska years ago and talks about it being his second home. I love how you captured it. And love your quilting.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, that moment when a gift quilt is delivered and you know they like it. And they showed up with a framed picture of Jim and me from the Alaska trip! It was a wonderful exchange of memories.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

congratulations...sounds like a perfect exchange!
    V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

A proud moment and one to cherish. Happy for both of you.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very nice gifts -- good thing you finished their quilt! :~)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know!!!