Software
Houzz Logo Print
tdunk_gw

2nd oven or not?

14 years ago

I have been lurking in this forum for a while and I have learned a lot from you all and am feeling more confident about planning our upcoming kitchen remodel. My question is about ovens. When we first started talking about remodeling, I always thought I wanted two ovens. I am not a gourmet cook, I mostly am just cooking for my family and mostly don't have a lot of time to spend on it. But there are times when it would be so nice to have a 2nd oven, especially holidays when I get so stressed out about cooking so many dishes and having them all ready at the right time and keeping things warm and so on.

However, now I am second guessing this decision and wondering if it is worth the extra expense. We decided on the Electrolux Icon Professional series, so right now we are planning on two of their convection ovens and the micro/speed oven unit as well. My DH thinks we should just go ahead and do it since I have been talking about a second oven for so long, but I'm wondering if this is overkill and if I could get by with one convection oven and the micro/speed oven unit.

I would love to hear about others' decisions to add another oven or not, and whether you are happy with your decision, whatever that was!

TIA!

Comments (10)

  • 14 years ago

    Briefly, more detail response later, I have 3 ovens plus a MW and a WD. Any give time while entertaining all are in use. When we bought our home there was just one oven and it was too small for a turkey. I can't imagine going back to one oven. If it's doable--go for it!

  • 14 years ago

    I went with one oven. That is fine for nearly the whole year, but difficult when entertaining. I have to do mental gymnastics for a very large crowd, on how everything is going to be done at once. It can be done. We just served 32 people a sit down dinner for Passover. It took planning. Two chickens were roasted and then held over in Le Creuset dutch ovens to stay warm, then the brisket went in to be reheated.

    Thanksgiving is smaller, and then when the turkey comes out, the pie goes in.

  • 14 years ago

    I wanted two ovens but didn't have the room; I did put in a warming drawer and that has really been a help, since it can keep food hot while other stuff is cooking. My countertop toaster/convection oven also gets a workout, although it can't hold anything large.

  • PRO
    14 years ago

    we are going through the same process...the current plan is to have the main range oven and a Meile speed oven that acts as a MV and/or second oven if needed. We will also add a Meile warming drawer under the speed oven. This leaves us with more storage (at a premium in our smallish kitchen) and about the same budget as an extra full sized wall oven. the only concern we have is if we need to MW something when both oven's are in use...but that is a compromise we can live with.
    caspian

  • 14 years ago

    Since we were updating, not a full remodel, our decision was to replace the cooktop with a freestanding range. Voila - instant 2nd oven.

    We've had this settup about a month now and used both ovens at once at least 5 times... last night for easter we had the Ham in the gas oven and the roasted brussel sprouts in the electric oven. Earlier a pie had baked in the electric oven.

    Yeah - you *can* get meals out for big holidays with just one oven - but it's easier with two. It was one of our bigger considerations on our kitchen update - and the factor that pushed my husband into agreeing to our update was how much easier it would be when we entertain. He cooks as much as I do - so he was appreciative of the versatility we'd be gaining.

    That said - everyone has to live within the space and budget constraints they have. I went 50 years with just one oven. :)

  • 14 years ago

    We just purchased the Elux Icon double oven professional series.

    We are a family of 4, but cook for my parents weekly and love to have people over. I am moving up from a little, old 24" single oven that we had for 18 years and I can't wait until this new one is installed.

    Right now it's sitting in our living room, but spoke to cabinet installers and we'll be putting it in this week. yay!

    There might have been a moment or two where I questioned the need for a 2nd oven, but for the most part, the double oven was always my first choice.

  • 14 years ago

    I concur with the folks here, a second oven, even if a combination Speed oven/MW is better than just one oven. At holiday time they come in handy and timing is much easier. We have double ovens and would not live in a home without them.

  • 14 years ago

    I recently did what ucgal is planning to do--replaced my cooktop with a 36" range. Now I have my beloved 30" wall oven, plus my 36" range with larger oven. I love having two! Would def do it again. Once you have the option to use 2 ovens, you'll do so even more often than you think.

  • 14 years ago

    I have a small kitchen with no room for two ovens...we got a convection microwave and I am so glad we did. I wanted it so I could get rid of the always icky looking toaster oven for a regular toaster, but also, since it is just DH and me, we wouldn't have to heat large oven for a single piece of fish, etc. it just proved invaluable for Easter dinner too..had the roast in the big oven, Mac and cheese in the MW...when they were done, rolls went into big oven while veggies went into MW....just love it!

  • 14 years ago

    I don't know if you have a lot of family close by but I am in the stage of life where every holiday I am chief cook. I have passed the stage where I go to their house for dinner. Both mother and mil are single along with other single family members. After cooking dinner yesterday for Easter it would have been really nice to cook things and pop them in a warm oven to hold. I ended up putting things after they sat on counter and cooled off, back in single oven to reheat and forgetting one entire dish only to find it later way over cooked. what a waste of time, money, labor and good food. If you have the space and money.....do it. I do agree that 1 simple oven and 1 with more options would do.