Software
Houzz Logo Print
sunaina_arora

Living Room/Dining Area

13 years ago
Any thoughts about how to decorate this? What color couches and rug do you recommend? Would really appreciate your help!

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    It looks like 2 different colors in the room. Is there or is it just lighting making it look like 2 different colors? Gorgeous room by the way.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    All depends on your taste! You have a warm color palette happening there - why not stick with it? I love these koa/tigerwood floors and use them a lot with clients - admittedly probably too much :) I'd probably suggest you do lighter couches - something in the ivory palette if you can go that light, or perhaps an oatmeal if you don't want to go too light. Maybe use turquoise, warm greens or terracottas for accents. Depends how much you like colors vs. neutrals. I might bring in some chocolate or something dark for contrast. You need a rug and some draperies or sheers for softness.
  • 13 years ago
    Creeser: Thanks! The walls are just one color: Spanish Sand. It is probably the lighting that makes it look different.
  • 13 years ago
    Mona: Thanks for your suggestion! I do like neutrals.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you prefer neutrals to colors, I'd stick with an ivory/oatmeal for sofa and then do rust and espresso for accent colors. You may want to consider a sofa and two chairs depending on what your space will allow. Looks like you will put a table in there too. It will be warm and beautiful.You could put a plant in there to make it even warmer.
  • 13 years ago
    I think keeping the furniture in neutrals with accents of red in pillows and accessories. Such a lovely warm color, especially with those gorgeous floors.
    [houzz=
    Living Room in Modern Victorian · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    It depends on your taste, but also depends on the kind of daylight you have (north? south?) and the nature of your household. Kids? Teens? Retired? Sometimes the bright colors that are enjoyed by a young family are not what you want later in life when you might be looking for serenity.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Mona is on point with her suggestions - neutrals and warm color palette - like the windows and the floors - here are a few look-sees that might help inspire!
    ISLIP BEACH HOUSE · More Info

    M Squared Design, LLC · More Info

    Quaker Bluff Residence · More Info

    Living Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all! I love all the ideas! Though I am still confused between light neutral or a dark neutral color. I definitely like lighter/softer colors. But considering this room will be used a lot, I am considering going for a darker color couch with a softer color drapes/rug. What are your thoughts on that? What do you think of the fabric and color in the picture attached?
  • 13 years ago
    Another one:
  • 13 years ago
    I like the dark fabric that you have. For a lot of use, I think that almost tweed type of fabric will work well.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could go dark but definitely add some rusty pillows and some white or cream to it and do a cream colored rug. Dark rugs don't look good on that type of floor. Also how large is the sofa? And is it two sofas or one? You don't want to suck all the light out of the room...
  • 13 years ago
    This is the sofa I had in mind. I do not want to block the big windows with a view. So this is one idea I have. Put a sectional against the wall along the length of the room. This will be facing TV and fireplace. And have a armchair close to the fireplace. Which is closer to the vase in the first picture.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Mona: If I go with a dark color sofa, I will go with a light color rug.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- Sunaina --- I love those floors , just beautiful ! Now because of the floors , can I make you think outside of the usual browns etc. I think your sofa or square sectional -modern tuffted transitional style ,could be a deep deep purple (eggplant) , or a very dark navy almost a charcoal in a velvety type fabric . Then two chairs in a very deep rusty orange in a patterned or textured fabric. The drapes could be a creamy white sheer or semi sheer hung high with simple folds headers.Even with some metallic threads in the fabric. Dark wood tables maybe in a modern /deco style and one champane or modern style metal side accent table.The coffee table can be a black wrought iron frame base with a glass top or a crema/white/or black marble top. For the dining table , again a modern /deco style in dark wood with modern side chairs with fabric seats and two host chairs that tie in with the living room chairs . They can pull into the living room for extra seating . Then you will need two area rugs - maybe simple creamy white or a neutral texture with bound edges . PS : paint any wall air grills etc. the wall color. - best not to be seen.
  • 13 years ago
    Lefty47: Thank you for helping me visualize a very different look for my room. As much as I would want to experiment with that, I think I will stick to neutrals. Only reason because then I can play around with accent colors, and change the look of the room whenever I want. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! Thank you, jlraskin1!! This looks so good. Btw, which tool did you use to do the mock up?
  • 13 years ago
    Make your floors and view the focus and up the volume of the dining chandelier to something contemporary instead of the traditional style one you have.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I used Photoshop, actually. I'm glad you like it!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Sunaina,

    I agree is better to keep it with neutral colors. It is always easier and doesn't compromise you much if you want to make some changes in the future.

    If I can be of any help for you is regarding the tables. Either the coffee table and the dining table. I am a sculptor and high end furniture designer. I've done several projects in which there was a similar wood floor and color palette.

    I have 3 furniture lines or catalogs, but for you I see two of them.
    I invite you to visit my site www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

    In the High Desing Catalog there are several interesting modern tables that can be combined with any kind of comtemporary couch and rug. Size and color can be customized depending on the combination of rug and couch color you finally decide, I would choose a rust brown color, or a lighter one. Always try to contrast the table against the rug to make it more visible.

    In the Artistic Furniture Line there are some very original and exclusive tables made mainly in cor-ten steel. This is type of steel that is rusted and treated in a "patina", the result is a beautiful dark brown-redish color.

    I attach a few ideas.

    Hope you like them!