Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melful1

Quick fix for my Bathroom

9 years ago
Purple countertop on the vanity. Who does that? My home is lovely but has one big eye sore--the main floor bathroom. Now is not the time for us to do a complete gut job, but I'm desperate to make some changes. For now the vanity (and purple corian countertop) must stay. I don't love the finish on the vanity either (not sure of the name. Pickled?) and am willing to refinish.

I dislike all the brass but is it ok to mix finishes? I can't replace all of the brass right now because it is on the shower and toilet and doorknobs, etc.
The peeling butterfly wallpaper must go. Paint color suggestions?
Replace the mirror,vanity pulls, faucet and light even though there would still be other brass in the room?
Thank you for your help. Pictures are attached.

Comments (14)

• 9 years ago
    Get rid of the wall paper and paint the wall with a. Neutral color that matches your cabinetry color. Change the gold mirror for something a little more subtle.
    Melanie F thanked icnewell
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would keep the cabinet white to coordinate with the toilet since the countertop and sink are purple. Actually the tannish background of the existing wallpaper works well with the countertop color as a paint color after removing the wallpaper if you want to go with a neutral. Or you could work with the purple with a light lilac in the same shade family as the sink as another option.
    Melanie F thanked karielen
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    brass is on its way back in fashion, i would do a thin brass mirror. burnished brass light fixture, paint the walls a light gray color.
    Melanie F thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    I would spray paint the shower door (and knobs) with an antique brass color that has come back! Replacing the faucet would be a bonus, as well as a new light. I would move the towel rack to another wall and add a print above the toilet and paint the room a light mauve and the vanity a crisp white with a very simple round mirror above. Grey,white and mauve accents for a softer look and an orchid and some white accessories for the counter. [houzz=
    Margeaux 2 Light 13" Wall Sconce in Vintage Brass · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Double Levers Antique Brass Faucet 4901B · More Info
    [houzz=
    Bathrooms · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Kassatex Valencia Towels · More Info
    [houzz=
    Soicher-Marin Garden Plan F, Pink · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info
    ]
    Melanie F thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would keep a link with the purple countertop and the wall. It could be something like the wallpaper Plain Strip from Jane Clayton. Then paint the vanity in the colour show on the picture below and add wood knobs paint in the same colour as the vanity. Keep all your gold accessories which will give brightness to the decoration
  • 9 years ago
    Aw, too bad the wallpaper has to go. The only thing I don't like about this room is the mirror. I would go for a large rectangular one with the long side parallel to the vanity.
    Melanie F thanked Another Thyme
  • 9 years ago
    What style would you like the bathroom to be? I really like the purple counter! I can see black cabinet base and going glam or contemporary. White or gray on the cabinet would also look good, maybe with turquoise as an second color.
    We took down our shiny brass trimmed shower door and put up a shower curtain. That's an inexpensive way to bring in a pattern and pull together the counter and wall colors.
    Melanie F thanked sootsprite
  • 9 years ago
    I would paint the cabinet white. Change the knobs to white or clear. Put a larger rectangle mirror with the frame in the tones of your floor (which I believe is wood). Find a shower curtain with grey and purple and then paint your walls a nice grey tone.
    Melanie F thanked Tina
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Embrace the brass and paint the walls a deep aubergine. Paint the cabinet a soft mid-range sage. Hang beautiful art work such as landscape paintings.
    Melanie F thanked The Virginia Gail Collection
  • 9 years ago
    Use grey to compliment the counter top , these are your colors put together

East Side Eden · More Info

Vintage Style French Advertising Art Print in Purple, Mauve, and Mint Blue · More Info
    Melanie F thanked Geneviève
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone! All of the advice is so helpful. For those who commented about liking the wallpaper, my 5 yr old decided to start taking it down one day after she saw us removing the kitchen wallpaper. Now there are big chunks missing at random places. No choice but to take it down, and truthfully it isn't my style anyway. Thanks again for all the suggestions. What lovely people to give your time to help me out.
  • 9 years ago
    You could minimize the purple counter by removing the two backsplash pieces. I think grey walls and white vanity would look nice. Then you could tie it all together with art that has those colors plus an accent color.
    Melanie F thanked E Gad
  • 9 years ago
    I would play up the vanity top, no amount of neutral paint will disguise it. There are so many fantastic wallpapers now. I have no idea of your style, but you could go with a solid grasscloth or a pattern to pull in the floor color as well.
    Melanie F thanked User