Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carilynn_gw

Willcox Gibbs serger

carilynn
16 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of instructions on how to thread a Willcox Gibbs serger?

Comments (20)

• chelone
    16 years ago

I need more information. I have a 5 thread, Willcox&Gibbs overlock machine, but you have to give me the model # before I'll know if I can help you out, or not!

• carilynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is a 5 thread, but I don't know the model number. It is for my husband's 80 year old aunt. I would really appreciate if you could make a copy of your threading instructions and send it to me. My name and address is Cari Cochran, 5604 Lakeview, Ennis, TX 75119. Thanks, Cari

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Carilyn

Notify the powers that be and ask them to remove your last post.You should never post your personal information to message boards,ie,your snail mail address.
    Kathi

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yes! remove that info. ASAP!

My machine is a Willcox&Gibbs 500-4, type 515-4-51. It was originally a 4 thread, but I had it converted to 5. It dates from the early '80s.

You will find the model number on the lower right side of your machine, just above the window that shows you the oil level in the head. Does your machine look like this one?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

If is does, there should be a threading diagram inside the door that allows access to the loopers. Sometimes they fall off over time. Let me know what you find out about your machine.

• carolea
    16 years ago

I have a Willcox and Gibbs serger 5 thread serger type 500/IV/31. The threading instructions are missing from inside the front door.

Can anyone give me threading instructions? Thanks.

• betsseconds
    15 years ago

check out the smithsonian's website. i found an old instruction manual online which helped my family friend thread her 3 thread superlock machine. maybe they have other manuals.
    Please help. Can anyone tell me how to oil a willcox gibbs serger?

• chelone
    15 years ago

If it's an industrial model and unless it's pretty old (45-50 yrs.+) it's probably self-oiling. Meaning it has an oil reservoir and operating the machine pumps oil in and around the mechanisms that require constant lubrication.

• betsseconds
    15 years ago

Thank you! yes industrial and old - a superlock model that's very likely as old as 50+ years. There's a round sight gauge and no oil visible.

Any idea on how to oil this one? From the Smithsonian manual: "No hand oiling is necessary. It is only necessary to maintain the proper level of oil in Base. With the machine idle, the oil level should be just high enough to cover the Filter Screen. Due to the high speed of this machine, it is important to use high grade oil...."

Anyone know how to add the oil? previously couldn't find an opening and manual didn't say how.

• betsseconds
    15 years ago

let me try again and thank you in advance:
    Does anybody know how to add oil in the base of a Willcox Gibbs Superlock serger, which doesn't need the usual hand oiling?

• chelone
    15 years ago

My W&G has a knob thingy on the top of the machine that you screw off and allows you to pour the oil in. Check to see if the site hole cover is removeable, it may be.

That failing, I'd get out the screw driver and remove the top part of the machine head. Look carefully and you'll probably find a tube set up that leads to the bowels of the machine... trace it back to the top.

If your machine is 50 yrs. old there is no way it is factory sealed and "maintenance free"! Some detective work is in order.

• betsseconds
    15 years ago

Thank you chelone for your assistance. looks like a little trial and error is ahead of me.
    thank you really and truly a lot.

• brittle91
    15 years ago

I'm looking for anybody who might know anything about threading a 3 thread Willcox & Gibbs serger. It's SUPER old and here is all the info I have on it.

Type: 813C1
    Model 2-0
    Serial: M.18337348

Thank you in advance!

• ammamz
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of instructions on how to thread a Willcox Gibbs 516-426 serger?

• christine_ktn_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a Willcox Gibbs 516-4-38 serger. model: cs4004-6 400w 4pl. i forgot how to set it so i can do the ruffle. I have still have the ruffler part.
    Can anybody help me with this?
    Thanks

• sdaugherty84_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a W & G overlock machine 516-4-26 that I cannot seem to find a manual for. I would like to be able to thread it and use it. can anyone help me?

• ponderosaq
    12 years ago

I will be getting W&G 504A tomorrow. Can anyone help me find info on it? I have no idea how old it is, how to thread it etc. Thanks so much.

• nanakim1104
    8 years ago

I used my mother in laws 3 thread industrial Wilcox Gibbs serger and one thread broke. I can not a model or serial number (looks like 823 -15---1). I think I see the needle and the bottom and one top thread are still threaded. No manual- any help???

• Simon Enouen
    5 years ago

I'm sorry to resurrect an extremely old thread but I just bought a used Willcox and Gibbs Superlock. When I was looking for information this was one of the first links to come up. I just want to share some information I've put together on this machine based on information I've found.

Here is a PDF I put together with some images I found from the Smithsonian Institute, it is the Machine Instructions and Parts List (Google Drive Link) for a Superlock model that I believe predates mine. It includes instructions on threading and setting the timing and also has very good diagrams that illustrate the assembly of most of the machine.

There was also an Advertisement for the Superlock (Google Drive Link) that has some nice illustrations and descriptions of the features of the machine.

Using these documents I completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my Superlock. Now I just need to set the timing and thread the machine.

Willcox and Gibbs Superlock

Model 813c1

Serial Number 59829

• PRO
    Indiancreek sewing
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Is there any where I can get parts for my serger it’s a green Wilcox tibbs overlock needing needles and knives

• shadylady2u
    5 years ago

I find a lot of parts on Ebay. If they don't have anything, try these 2 places:

sew4less

a1sewingmachine