Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Painted Tissue Box

paintingfool
13 years ago

I purchased this box at a yard sale for 25 cents. I have a video of Ros Stallcup painting one similar so hers was my inspiration. I am still working on hydrangeas, haven't got the knack of painting them yet. I may change what I am doing this weekend so I can get a more realistic look. I hope these few postings inspire you to get painting!

B

Comments (10)

• Vique_Pa
    13 years ago

I think your flowers are beautiful. I am still having a hard time making roses. Vique.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Vique, I think roses are a hard flower to paint but I have been painting these particular stroke roses for more than 20 years. Sometimes they look good and sometimes I struggle with them. I love the way Jeanne Downing paints her roses (www.rosecote.com) and I love Ros Stallcup (www.gransgarden.com). Check out their website and also, check out "painting roses" on YouTube. You can get a pretty good idea on how to paint them by watching the videos. Then it is practice, practice, practice.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    B

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That's really pretty Bebe. I always watch for those boxes when I go "treasure shopping" too. You really got that one at a bargain price. I did one of the long ones with One Stroke flowers one time, but gave it away.

I keep trying to get myself back in the painting room, would help if I had a bunch of pieces already basecoated so I could just start painting. By the time I let the basecoat dry, I'm doing something else or the mood has passed! LOL

Glad you've been in a painting mood. Are you still working at clearing out some of your stash? How's the redo of your craft room coming along?

Luvs

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Your Hydrangaes look great and who would have thought, roses and looking as good as ever.

Thanks for the sites, I love watching videos but am leary of purchasing them because of some of the "lemons" I have gotten. YouTube is great, not always good, but great as it is free.

Belle

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Wow! I really like that. The hydrangeas look great to me.

THANK YOU for posting all of those sites for reference! It's a good resource for those of us that are just figuring all of this out.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful tissue box now that it's painted. It looks great on the spread. Amazing how paint can turn something so plain into a treasure. I'll have to remember to check out the sites when I have an extra minute. Thanks

Punk

• kraftymom
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Your flowers are lovely.

I just love thrift stores and garage/yard sales. They are my main source for surfaces and that's why I have more stuff than I'll ever have time to paint. lol

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Luvs, you're an awwwwwsome painter!! Your flowers are always so realistic looking. I've taken many painting classes and just don't seem to have the knac. I think it's something in the gene pool you either have or don't~~I *don't*!. LOL Do you ever do anything with lettering, such as signs? ;o)

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Patty cakes....I'm with you. I love her florals! And in the last two months I have tried and failed and you know what? They may not be in my gene pool either. I shall continue to try for a while but am also going back to the projects that make me smile when I look at them instead of drooling at their beauty. Classes....what are classes? Just kidding, but how nice that you can attend. I am my own teacher and have a dunce for a pupil.

Belle

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Thanks Patty, but my flower painting can't hold a candle to the ones PF (Bebe) paints! Like Belle, I think that's why I mostly stick with my easy to paint "cutesy" things that make me smile. ;o)

You know there are so many different kinds of painting--doesn't have to be all that realistic to be darling. I've seen lots of projects just with dot flowers made with the handle of a paintbrush. And if you like a more "country/primitive" style, the antiquing can cover up a multitude of things! ;o)

I have done some signs, but neat lettering is not easy for me. Our Anj does lettering so well, did you see her patriotic sign? It's so excellent! Maybe that's why I'm loving my Cricut cutter and the vinyl letters so much--they come out looking wonderful. ;o)

Remember if you want to paint letters, you can just type what you want on your computer, size it, and print it out. Then you can put graphite paper under it and trace the letters onto your board then fill in with paint. I find that if I paint the outline of the letter first, then fill in the middle, it tends to stay neater for me.

Are you still selling at your booth? If I remember right, you were sort of specializing in a soft French look for most items weren't you? Hope you are still able to find lots of neat stuff.

Luvs