Software
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Faucet height, sink depth and splashing

15 years ago

I am going to pick out faucets on Monday. I am leaning towards something by Grohe because of the rave reviews of that brand from friends and family. I also want a pull down sprayer with the high arch. I am planning on a pretty deep sink too (haven't picked it yet but 9" or 10"). Is this a bad choice because of the splashing issue?

What causes a faucet to splash and another to not splash? Is there something I should be paying attention to when I make this choice? I don't like the idea of needing a raincoat to wash my hands in the kitchen sink.

Totally aside from that - what do you think of the Ladylux Pro? Very contemporary looking which I kind of like in my very traditional white/marble/walnut island kitchen . . .

Comments (14)

  • 15 years ago

    I like the Ladylux Pro. Of all the Ladylux series, this one is the one I like the most. I like the handle of the Ladylux faucet line.

    I like the spray tip. (Called a "wand"). It's small. This makes it easy to move. It's the same tip as on the Minta and the Concetto. Of all the Grohe faucets that have this spray tip, I like the Ladylux Pro the most.

    I like the hose too. Abd the but that holds the wand and hose together. Also, it looks good when the wand is pulled out. Part # 46 592 is the hose of the Lux Pro faucet, while the 46 092 000 is the pull out hose used for the Lady Lux and Lady Lux Plus and Europlus.

    The slinky spring around the hose under the counter is a way to do without the weight that other faucets use to get the wand to reseat itself. With a weight, you are always holding the spray wand to resist under pressure as the wand "wants" to slide back into the faucet. With a slinky spring, you are able to hold the wand more easily. When you want the hose to go back into the faucet tube, you flick it a bit and the spring takes over from there. If you go to a showroon, I hope they will have installed it properly.

    Ask Grohe about the sprayback. In kitchen faucets, aerated streams these days are often 8 or 9 gal per minute. The aerator is what (I think) determines the amount of sprayback. I don't have any concerns about it but I wouldn't want to be told not to ask and get answers.

    Hth

  • 15 years ago

    oops.
    I meant 2 gallons per minute or thereabouts (I've seen it written a lot as 8L or 9L and that might explain the slip up.)

    typo #2 is the word but when it should be nut. Hose and nut.

  • 15 years ago

    My old sink/faucet combo was splashy. The new sink/faucet combo isn't. The old sink was 7 inches deep. The new one is 10 inches deep. The old faucet and new faucet are the same height. The old faucet was not aerated. The new one is. I think the aeration makes the difference. I'll add that my faucet is not centered over the drain. The old sink was 22 gauge, the new one is 16 gauge. I don't know if that makes a difference. (Old set up was VERY LOUD.)

  • 15 years ago

    My friend has a big deep Blanco ss sink and a high faucet with a pull down spray. The water splashes up and out of the sink onto the granite counter around it so she has to leave her spray nozzle dangling down all the time so it is lower to the sink bottom.

  • 15 years ago

    No splashing. I have the Ladylux Cafe and my fireclay sink is 10" deep.

  • 15 years ago

    No splashing here. But I have a Grohe pull-out; the pull-out faucets tend to splash less than high arch faucets. My sink is 9" deep, + 1" of countertop. How is the water pressure in your house? How much splashing is there with the sink and faucet you have pre-reno?

  • 15 years ago

    I checked with my friend whose sink splashes (see previous post). Her faucet is a Grohe pull out.

  • 15 years ago

    I have a Whitehaus pulldown with a 10" deep sink and no splaching. My prep sink is 9" deep with a Grohe pulldown and no splashing. The water stream hits in front of the drain on both. The smaller faucet we tried first with the prep sink hit the drain and it splashed out of of the rubber gasket, which is one reason I don't get why folks say the water should hit the drain.

  • 15 years ago

    Colorlady - in your first post you said your friend's faucet was a pull-down, and your description of it sounded like a pull-down faucet. But in your second post, you said it was a pull-OUT faucet. I think you meant in your second post the pull-down right? I am only requesting clarification, because the two styles are quite different, and the OP has asked about a high-arch pull-down faucet. I wrote that I have a Grohe pull-out. From what you wrote, I think your friend's is a Grohe pull-down.

  • 15 years ago

    akchicago, would you mind telling me what model of Grohe faucet you have and how you like it? I'm doing some minor changes to our kitchen and have decided to go with Grohe but haven't settled on a model yet. Would love to hear your comments.

  • 15 years ago

    I have the Kohler simplice with the pull-down faucet and our SS sink is 9" deep. If we run the water (no matter the stream type), there's no splash.

    HOWEVER, no matter how my husband washes dishes, he splashes water everywhere. When I wash dishes, I don't splash. I think it's in how we hold the dishes when we wash and the fact that he's 6'4 and I'm 5'3.

    (meanwhile, LOVE our Simplice and despite DH's splash issues, we're getting it again in our new builld)

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks very much, akchicago. I went to a showroom yesterday to look at the Grohe faucets but they only had a couple, and those weren't installed in a way that made it easy to sense how they'd feel when using them. It's really helpful to hear how this particular faucet has worked for you, and I also appreciate your link to the Costco deal. Very kind of you to reply to my query.

  • 15 years ago

    I know this is an older thread, but the topic is very timely for me. We just moved into a new place. I was able to pick out the kitchen sink I wanted, and the faucet. I chose a Swanstone Ascend sink. The left side bowl is about 10.75 " deep, including the countertop. The faucet is a Grohe Ladyluxe Plus. Now that we've been here for a couple of months, I'm realizing that water splashing is a real problem. Someone up thread mentioned faucets being aerated. How do you know if your faucet is aerated? Is it possible a part wasn't installed in the faucet? Or did I make bad choices for the sink/faucet without realizing it?