Software
Houzz Logo Print
celineike

Does anyone have these pendants? help me choose please...

15 years ago

I have a kinda dark kitchen (north facing)

I have 6 canister lights in the ceiling and LED strip under counter lights going in.

I have 2 spots for island pendants.

Here are some pics below of what I like etc.

but i have problem in that i want the island lights to light up the fronts/tops of the cabinets.

So, while I'd prefer these lights the most



they are only downward lighting and wont light up the room, so my next choice is this...



but they are kind of $$$,

so I'm considering these - they have a really light weight feeling and they give me another little shot of dark brown in the room.

but DH's first comment was -you gonna be ok staring at bulbs? ugh.

I really like the round shape... any thoughts on these?



thanks for all your input!

Comments (21)

  • 15 years ago

    I don't like the third one... it's scary... it looks like it could break over my head or be knocked over easily by tall clumsy people.

  • 15 years ago

    I love those West Elm clear pendants. Malhgold has those over her island! I also wonder about staring at an open bulb like that. She says she doesn't mind them. I'm not sure if I could get used to them.

    And, personally, I'm getting a teensy bit tired of seeing that first fixture so often. But that's MHO. They are very nice!

  • 15 years ago

    I like them all but the globes are my favorite! I just went with a clear globe style over my sink. I was told to use an Edison or filament bulb (actually it is shown with a filament bulb). I have seen these at West Elm, and some high end shops.

  • 15 years ago

    I have to go with the second one b/c I purchased the clemson pendant but in the white glass shade LOL! They are going to be installed this week

  • 15 years ago

    Hi guys! Thanks for the responses.

    Breezy & coastal hearing that you like the 3rd one kinda seals it for me. I have very similar taste as you both.

    The globe is actually from PB and has ORB details instead of the nickel like West Elm. Not a huge fan of the chain rope though. Wonder if I can change it?

    And uroboros5. My husband says the same thing "it looks scary" whenever I gush about anything steam punk !! Lol
    Especially the metal lighting. This may be the only "steampunk" I get.

    I'm going to put them over the island and just hope that no one gets drunk and dances on it. ;0)
    And hope hopefully

  • 15 years ago

    Oh! And stephaniebb. I actually like ones you got more than the lined glass one I posted. Please take a pic to show them off, I'd love to see them in action!!!
    Can't wait till I'm at the "hanging-lights" stage of this!

  • 15 years ago

    We have the Calhoun pendant from PB for our kitchen ... in a box. Sorry, but we're still 6+ weeks or so from hanging our hanging lights.

    My parents have hanging globe lights, hung at 5'9 or so. They are short people. There sons (and many friends, relatives, unsuspecting guests) are not. There has been much head to light fighting in that home and the lights still live (30+ years and counting). That is not to say all glass is made equal, but it put us at ease enough to not worry about glass globes.

  • 15 years ago

    Oh geez, Celine! Talk about pressure! Don't blame me if they don't work out for some reason! ;)

    Do you happen to have a lighting plan you could post? I'm curious who designed it and where your lights will be placed. I gotta get mine nailed down soon!

  • 15 years ago

    the second one is great

  • 15 years ago

    Oh Breezy - you're silly! Of course I will march right back here to yell at you about my lights! ;o)
    ps, did you know iPads would prefer your name be Breast. :o)

    Oh.. My lighting plan was just sort of already there. Remember this is a slab leak reno so the kitchen layout is almost exactly as it was before. The canisters were placed in 2 rows of 3 that had no rhyme or reason and never hit anything important.
    Due to lack of $, i only had 1 halogen put in over the sink and took out 1 canister for 2 pendants. here's the layout.
    You can see the red X's are lights.

    Im really hoping the open pendants (as opposed to downlight versions) will brighten things up in general. And the LED strips under the counters are downright amazing and $$$. DH wanted those :o)

  • 15 years ago

    I have the restoration hardware Benson pendant which is very similar to the first one but it is more of a cone. I was worried about it being only directional lighting but I love how it turned out, especially at night when I'm just sitting back and relaxing at the island. If you have enough lighting in the ceiling, and undercabs too, they won't let you down.

  • 15 years ago

    I have the second option in my kitchen. It gives off good light because it is glass on the top part. It has a diffuser on the bottom so you don't look directly at the bare bulbs. I love your choices and I considered them all, but the bare bulb would bother me. I have low 8' ceilings and I think they still work well.

    I purchased mine at an RH outlet store for cheap (I think about $100 each). The only worry is that you can't return them. I didn't have any problems with missing parts or anything. Good luck deciding, you can't go wrong with any of them in my eyes!

  • 15 years ago

    I hope you are a fastidious housekeeper if you choose #3. The dust will be there within a couple hours of your last dusting and will always show. Before guests come you'll be dusting.

  • 15 years ago

    ooohh, not good to hear about having to clean them ALL the time.
    that would get done about every 2 weeks when i my cleaning lady comes lol... that'd be bad right?
    anyone else with glass lights think they get too dusty too quickly?
    I hate cleaning :o(

  • 15 years ago

    I have a dining room chandelier with clear glass hurricanes on each of five arms. I put them through the dishwasher occasionally and dust when the spirit moves me. If the fixture were hanging in kitchen in the constant line of sight dusting would require more attention. I've put matte white glass pendants in my kitchen and am very glad--I know I need to dust when I feel the dust with fingers, not when I see it with eyes. My guests and family are less likely to notice.

    What about a non-globe fixture, something with an upturned faux candle aspect to it? There have been stunning ones used in GW kitchens. You can put bare or frosted bulbs in, depending on preference.

  • 15 years ago

    I would think if you see dust it is fast and easy to swipe with a swiffer duster thingy. Dust will collect on anything and all 3 versions have a domed top don't forget! I can see how #2 might "show" less but it's still there. And #1 is chrome and that shows as well.

    Dusting stinks, period. Of course DH seems to have better eyesight than me, because he always seems to be pointing it out! But it is worth it to get what you love.

  • 15 years ago

    Celine--forgive me for not coming back to thank you for posting your lighting layout. It was very helpful! Thank you! I did forget that you are the "slab leak reno" person. LOL! I'll try not to think of you that way now, I promise.

    I have yet to put much thought into which UC lights to use, but have been "collecting" posts on them in my favs. Which brand are you using?

    I hadn't thought about the dusting issue with those globes. Dust accumulates very quickly at my house and I can't stand dusting. Sadly, it's my chore to do. Have you decided yet?

  • 15 years ago

    Oh this desicion is still too hard and I havent decided anything yet.
    I felt like I was pretty set on the PB globes and almost ordered them, but then I found out I have a RH outlet pretty close to me, so maybe ill check there for the second ones.

    But that leaves me wondering if when the cabinets come, will I want a clear globe that won't distract from them?
    Or will there be enough room in the kitchen ( which is 13x13) to have solid pendants.

    And 14" or 8" diameter?

    Should I just wait to buy them til things are installed? It's in 2 weeks. (yeah btw)

  • 15 years ago

    I would wait if I were you. You don't need them this minute, and seeing the rest of the space could change your mind. Two weeks?? Luuuuuuucky! Yeah, wait.

  • 15 years ago

    Ya! I can hardly believe it's 2 weeks!!! I'm totally excited and honestly a little bummed that this very creative and fun "job" will be over soon :0(

    Everyone around me is telling me to make a living at it. Ha! I wish!

  • 15 years ago

    You can come work on my "fun job", which is turning put to be slightly nightmarish, if you want! You'll get plenty of excitement here!