FIND PROFESSIONALS
yokohill_gw

Problems with Lincoln Windows?

yokohill

Does anyone have any experience with Lincoln Windows? We are in the process of a complete remodel and have spent thousands of dollars on their windows. The gliders on the west side of the house are leaking badly. They also glide poorly. The establishment where we purchased them will not accept any responsibility, stating the windows have "design problems". They did not mention any "design problems" when we purchased them, of course. Any suggestions would be of great help.

• seaside1950

We built our home in 2002 and three windows have now broken seals where the gas leaks out, looks like ice crystal lines going though the entire pane. Terrible. I would like to know how to get ahold of Lincoln window manufacturers to complain and perhaps file a suit against them, if they don't make this right. I have seen 100 year old buildings with original windows look beautiful. This is awful

• millworkman

99% of all Insulated Glass units are guaranteed for 10 years, after that your on you own (even from the best window mfrs). Andersen USED to do 20 years but even they have backed off of that and now are 10 like everyone else.

Are Lincoln windows good quality?

I am not familiar with Lincoln. Marvin makes a very good window.

Major layout problem! windows windows windows

Abbeyjean is great at layouts - where is she when you need her? I usually don't recommend sectionals because they limit your setup options should you move, but this room looks like a square sectional might be the answer. Two sofas work too, and offer more flexibility. With one side on the only large wall (the one to the left of the brown chair), the other side coming out into the room then setting a TV on either side of the slider on a corner cabinet as linlac has posted above. It looks like you could also wall mount a TV on the stair wall near the kitchen with a small cabinet for components below, but I'd still want the sofa on the window wall, not the slider wall. Don't buy anything until you get in there. First try to work with what you have, figure out where the TV will get the least glare, how big a sofa you'll need, and if there's room for a few small comfy chairs.

Kitchen Window problems

the outside is Jerusalem stone but the kitchen is one flight higher so the window is higher up. the cabinetry would be arranged around the window. the wall on the right side in the picture will have drawers on the bottom and cabinets all the way to the ceiling. the wall where the window is will have the dishwasher, sink and stove (was thinking of putting it under the window) with drawers and counters. on top of the counters we were going to put glass cabinets on each side of the window. hope this explains it properly.

closet window creates problems- help!

Since you can't or won't cover the widow, you could install IKEA wire curtain rods, and curtain panels to cover the hanging space. Easy to open and close.
  • lynnefoo

seaside - Apparently there's a class-action suit against them. I shy away from those type of things, but you might want to check it out.

• oberon476

millworkman,

Andersen is still 20 years on the glass, that I am aware of.

Have you heard something different recently?

Since Andersen uses Cardinal IG's it wouldn't make much sense for them to go to 10 years when Cardinal gives the window company a 20 year warranty on the IG seal.

• millworkman

Maybe I am mistaken oberon, that was what I was told.

• rsd_17025

Is anyone aware of any recourse that can be taken against Lincoln? My windows were installed in 2002 and the problems began almost immediately. I've had to replace almost every window because the glass started fogging up within 3 years. The Lincoln "rep" who was sent to my house by the local distributor tried to pass off the glass fogging as being a result of the windows not being properly installed by my contractor. Apparently he thought I was an idiot. I don't even open my windows, so no stress has been placed on the glass to cause the seals to break. I suppose he could claim that possibly during the initial installation and say that they had not been handled carefully (even though that is not true), but even the Lincoln replacement sashes that I had to BUY under their horrible warranty are now failing.

The metal track between the two panes of glass is rusting in all windows and the gasket/seal that fits in that track between the two panes is cracking and falling out, trapped between the two panes of glass. These windows were recommended to me by 3 contractors because they were supposedly the "best of the best." I'd like to drive to Wisconsin with one of them and slam it down on the desk of the Lincoln CEO and see what he thinks of them with their fogged up glass, rusting insides, cracked internal seals and rotting wood frames.

I thought I was outfitting my otherwise very nice new home with top quality products throughout but here I have windows that aren't even worthy of being installed in rusting, used $5,000 1970s era trailer home!

Lincoln needs to be held accountable for selling defective C-R-A-P that they knew full well was defective! Any advice regarding actions that may be pending against Lincoln or recourse that others have taken to fairly resolve these issues is appreciated (FYI - again, I've already gone the "proper" route through Lincoln for warranty replacement - as much of a joke as their awful windows!)

Step up to the plate Lincoln and be an honorable company that does the right thing by people who have spent countless thousands of dollars with you in good faith.

Thanks very much!

• jerea3000

Lincoln windows are garbage. DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!

Our house was built in 1999. Since then, 15 windows have leaked and fogged. Each winter, 2 or 3 more fail. In the late 1990's, Lincoln made windows where the glass cannot just be replaced. The ENTIRE glass and sash must be replaced. Meaning they need to be stained and varnished as well, at added cost.

I just had one fail just from being washed.

They are out of warranty (Lincoln has changed the warranty since, but all they do is provide replacement glass.) On average, it costs about $500 per window to have them replaced, plus the finish work.

Avoid them at all costs. They are complete junk. Lincoln should be ashamed.

• jpsarge3

There is a class-action lawsuit in PA regarding the failure of Lincoln windows. I replaced a set in 2007 (under warranty) and just did it again in 2016. It seems that they replaced the original set with the same type of Lincoln windows with the same result.

• jjadams787

I have 39 headaches in my house and they were all replaced and are failing for the 2nd time! This house was built in 94 i had one window just crack they sent me their subcontractor, mr idiot who replaced it after many calls to get him out. I asked him why i had frost in the winter along the bottom and he said run my ceiling fans in each room that i had too much moisture in this house hahahaha I don't use my humidifier we just deal with the nose bleeds in the winter due to these windows! I don't open them for fear they will fall out with one that would if i opened it.

Then i had one after another after another failing so they sent their new sub contractor who turned out to be the brother of the other mr idiot! He lied like a rug (per his own employees telling me) and after many calls he came out got the replacements approved which had a longer weatherstrip which when windy flapped around sounding like a helicopter was nearby. So he ordered them and told me for ex # of dollars he could stain them for me and so i said ok well wait wait wait and finally putting his feet to the fire and trust me i worked with the IRS so i know how to start the fire he came with nice wet windows and installed them and at this point i needed this done but come the first rain and as i sat in my chair a permanent transom window with no weatherstrip leaked onto my head and so he came to pound that in tighter and then winter and i could blow out a match so i bought thin self stick weather strip and installed it from the inside of all of my windows and guess what? No frost!

These subcontractors, i believe do not work for this company even tho Lincoln gave me their name not that it matters it doesn't take a rocket scientist to install them but I have nails sticking out of the trim of doors they did also replace that are again failing.

This company does not know what kind of service they are not providing to the customers that purchased "their" windows a total disgrace to this company. I had called this company to speak to the owner and was not allowed through to her.

So now here we are again 15 yrs later one after another after another i will attempt again to get relief and if not somebody start a new lawsuit i am all in!

• josepmlazzaro

Had Lincoln installed in 93. They leaked water bad in any wind driven rain. In 5 years 2 sashes rotted. Warranty replaced them. 3 years later 2 more rotted and were replaced free. The first replacements were exactly the same and fit perfect. The second were slightly different and didn't fit properly. We now have others rotting and fogging but there is no longer a warranty. Also, the first replacements are fogging. These are double hung with aluminum clad outside. They are nothing but junk.

• Michael Jancaterino

I too have had continuous problems with Lincoln double hung windows. Installed in 2002 just a few years later they all began to leak----the sash seal failed. They did replace them, rather they delivered them to me and I did all the work. Now about half of them have sash rot. They wanted to charge me a discounted rate for them but I worked out a deal to get them at no charge (the replacements were not warranted). The jambs were a nightmare. They leaked. Sheetrock was ruined. My jambs are stuccoed in (another story) so the thought of replacing them is the last thing I want to do. Being a do-it-yourselfer I have managed to stop most of the leaking---I think. As long as I don't see any mold growing in the sheetrock in the next year or two I think I'll be OK. I wish I could sell and move away. I would never recommend Lincoln windows.

• rsd_17025

Michael, make sure you check this out. The deadline to file a claim is approaching. My only problem is that I can't locate the serial number on any of my windows!
    http://www.lincolnwindowsettlement.com/

East Bay 10

Michael - When you refer to the "jambs leaking", is the water (assuming water rather air) coming in between the vinyl jamb liners and the sash or between the sheet rock and the window frame?

RSA INC

Please continue to buy Lincoln. They need the money to pay for the lawsuits they lose because their windows suck (air and moisture). My clients with these windows could really use your help. If you don't buy Lincoln, how are they (Lincoln) going to pay for and replace the faulty windows they have manufactured. Also, think about all the jobs that will be lost.

Windows on Washington Ltd

Now...that is funny.

QWD-VA

I wont name any names but there are large custom home builders who are still putting Lincoln windows into $3 million homes in the DC Metro area and I talk to them all the time..they will do business with us for smaller jobs but the big jobs with 75k+ window packages people like Lincoln, Windsor, and Jeldwen W-2500 and Siteline are getting the business because they are down and dirty cheap as hell. Especially on their doors..oh well the window business has changed so some of us have to change with it..Lincoln wont be around for a long time seems like. Especially if they are practically giving it away price wise.

Windows on Washington Ltd

This is what happens when customers are busy buying location, bathrooms, kitchens and a whole host of other items before they get to considering stuff like windows and doors.

• M Miller

WOW, it's not just that customers aren't considering the windows along with the bathrooms, etc. when they buy a home. It's that the builders are not offering choices except for this level of windows. I.e., you buy a new-construction home in a new development, and the windows are Lincoln or equivalent, and there is nothing the home buyer can do to change that. If that home is in a location that they need for work or schools, and is the price they can afford, they are stuck with the windows the builder is providing. Hard enough sometimes to get the builder to change a countertop, much less the windows.

You are too harsh - give the consumer some credit. Even on higher-end homes, getting the builder to switch to windows the buyer wants is near impossible. The builder has already negotiated and purchased the windows for all the homes in the development before the foundation for the first home is poured. Of course if the home owner has more money, and is building a one-off home (not part of a development), then they can get the windows they want. There are many posts on this forum from people like that.

Windows on Washington Ltd

I was referring to the type of new home that QWD-Christian was referring to and not a more track built home/development.

I am not sure that my comments were "harsh" per se when defining what are dominant consumer trends when selecting or optioning out a new home. .

At the end of the day, I am not blaming the consumer for this. There are not magazines devoted to windows and "How to get the 'dream' window project" is not in Better Homes and Garden or Martha Stewart. Windows are an afterthought (or at least 3rd tier) for most people and this in only reinforced by the builders and design magazines.

QWD-VA

No you are definitely correct. I had a builder the other day tell me windows are now a commodity and for the last few years the upgrades are going to the kitchen and bathroom etc. as long as it's meeting Energy Star and is cheap it's going in the opening.

• lkbum_gw

When we built our house a few years ago, we were pushed pretty hard to keep windows "simple", they weren't didn't merit the kind of attention I was looking for. I was directed to a subdivision with +$1M to see what they were using. Almost all were using Windsor and looked pretty "nice" in their setting. After visiting a Marvin showroom, I'm convinced that these folks are in for a rude awakening in a few years. When I talk to friends about their plans for new homes, they usually are blind to windows and their choices. I think builders recommend what they are comfortable with are usually not the best informed folks to be dealing with.

• Wayne Painter

Does anyone know what year Lincoln Windows made a major change in the design of their windows due to moisture issues both in between the window panes and under and behind the units themselves? I am having to replace a whole house full of Lincoln Windows, installed in 2004, and, after finally, what felt like having to pull teeth, have gotten Lincoln to agree to replace the windows. We do NOT want to have the defective windows, which have caused serious damage under and behind the windows themselves, replaced with the same defective windows, which will cause the same damage in the next 10-12 years. Any insight in to the year the change was made by Lincoln would be greatly appreciated.

• owenjanet52

Just purchased our home, Grand Lake, Ok., in March 2017. Started our remodel and found that all the windows are rotted. The house was inspected by a licensed inspector and all windows were checked off as satisfactory. We were not present for the inspection but our sales agent was. Our sales agent also represented the seller , his mother in law. When we questioned them about the windows we were told they are Lincoln Windows and they were not aware of any problems. We have contacted a law firm handling the class action lawsuit and are trying to get the previous owner to answer most of the questions since we have no info on their builder or paper work on the windows. We will have to replace all of windows in this house. Has anyone had a similar problem?

These windows are a joke had them installed during new construction within 5 yrs they all leaked and you couldn't see thru them call company they replaced some and here we are again they all are fogged up again plus condensation is ridiculous...I will never again have a lincoln window they are junk they would not replace all of them for some odd reason said they only allow so much money to replace what a crock.

• millworkman

Ah, good old leaky Lincolns...................

QWD-VA

millworkman..gun to your head and all the same price points - lincoln, windsor, or weathershield - which one do you buy?

• millworkman

Wow, I have been out of the retail game for some time and not 100% sure any longer. Dart to the wind and no other choices, and with trepidition, Weathershield.

• Daryl Derkowski
    So we are about to do a whole house build and our window rep recommended us looking at Lincoln windows. He indicated that now Lincoln and all other major window manufacturers use cardinal glass to avoid seal issues. Does anyone know if all the previous issues still exist with Lincoln’s “new” window production set up. Also heard the paint and materials are now similar to Marvin...
    Looking for some recent installed comments (from the last 3-5 years).
    Windows on Washington Ltd

That is a step in the right direction on the glass. The next question would be frame warranty and design.

You set on wood?

• Daryl Derkowski
    We are looking at the aluminum exterior and prepainted wood interior (hybrid window).
    Windows on Washington Ltd

Have you considered hybrid materials like fiberglass

• Daryl Derkowski
    We did, but the price was a little more...
    Windows on Washington Ltd

Than a clad wood?

• Daryl Derkowski
    Yes, though I only saw Marvin with a fiberglass unit. We do like the wood interior look.

In 1999 I built a new home using 43 Lincoln windows. I have replaced 16 due to condensation, three more on order and have replaced the weather stepping on five windows. These are junk. Sent a letter to Lincoln with no response. Some of the replacements need replaced.

Judy Brosofski ohio

• Pat

I’m the owner of a 7000 square-foot house with multiple windows. The home was built in 2013 and occupied in late 2014. By 2018, 75% of the windows had failed seals. I have been negotiating with the builder, supplier and Lincoln windows for the past two years. Finally after some success receiving replacement sashes, I am left with removal and installation costs . I highly recommend looking for a different window company.

• Lynn Lynn
    last year

I installed Lincoln - worst decision. I paid for wonderful windows. I am stuck with leaks, condensation problem and bad repairs. Hate my windows and doors!

• Pat
    last year

I have contacted my lawyer and will be pursuing the matter. I have over 30 windows that are occluded. The house is only 5 years old and I have had the problem for 4 1/2 years and it just gets worse every month. This is a production and materials defect. This should not be part of the warrantee verbiage. I won’t rest until Everyone knows about the quality issues of Lincoln windows or I receive satisfaction including installation of the replaced windows!

• Pat
    last year

Maybe we have a class action suit here?

• Lynn Lynn
    last year

I hope. I have never had window issues but now I am replacing inside walls because of leaking windows. Company denies its the windows...

• Lynn Lynn
    last year

I built in 2011. Had to do 5,000 repair on windows in 2014.. Lincoln said I did not use correct paint. They recommended the ” Lincoln “ repair specialist. I spent $5,000 in 2014 repairing my $32,000 worth of lifetime windows. The leaking window is one that was repaired- so angry at response from this company when dealing with this ! I am getting attorney.

• Cindy
    last year

FIRST WINDOW - First Window Delivered and Installed with Fogging, smudges and prints inbetween the glass. We had to reoreder another window and that one well...was worse! Had actually scratches in the glass and more palms like prints, smudges.

This week we received the 3rd replacement, and this is what we received!!!! The spacers are just loose and shaking and dancing all over the place!!! I did ask to speak with the President: Rick Bleise, I was told however, no can do! He does not speak with people, and was told "oh, you won't be able to speak with him" Not great customer service, when the company's own President refuses to deal with customers, and makes himself unavailable for customers that have had long term issues or even new issues, legitimate issues.

Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

They left out the spacer beads on them. If the glass is already scratched, should be getting new sashes on those units in question. The grids hitting the glass will damage the Low-e long term.

• Lynn Lynn
    last year

Good Luck getting Lincoln to do anything!

• Rick Stone
    last year

Lincoln windows are trash i have the same problem water rolls around the weatherstripping

And seeps through the window sill walls below rotton and loaded with mold it is an expensive

• Paul f
    last year

Google Milgard or Pella "Class action Lawsuit" and you'll see massive class action lawsuits settled with those companies very recently. Take the info above about Lincoln windows with a grain of salt. Lots of one time posters complaining about them over the years... seems suspicious.

• Scott Carter

I heard good things about Lincoln windows so I ordered them for my house from a dealer called Atlanta specialty mill works in Atlanta Georgia. It’s been quite an ordeal. We ordered them 4+ months ago and have struggled to get the dealer to return calls or even let us know when our windows arrived. So far only 1 of six windows has shown up. Lincoln claims damage in the shipment delayed a couple and they would “rush them” to us. That was months ago. Still no date and I spent more than $20k on these windows. I would avoid Lincoln and their dealers unless you really have good connections with one of them. Atlanta Specialty Millworks is definitely not a Lincoln dealer you want to use.

• millworkman

"$20k on these windows" "So far only 1 of six windows has shown up"

20K for 6 windows?

• Scott Carter

Yep. One was a sliding glass door and another was a large sliding glass window

• millworkman

Sorry to hear that.