stretchad_gw

Can I repair these window frames or do I need full replacement?

stretchad

I live in a house with approximately 26 wood windows with wooden storm windows. At least 6 of the 15 windows on the back of the house plus one on the side of the house have rotting window frame/sills. We had someone from a large, local company come out and assess whether they need to be repaired or replaced and the recommendation is replacement because the frames are so rotten (yet, he's moreso in the window replacement business than window repair...he's likely biased). Here's the rub, he said average cost for full replacement using "new construction" windows is $1500. So replacing just the 7 windows that I KNOW need replacing, would be ~$10,500. Here's the other challenge, we have wooden storm windows on ALL of our windows. The new windows wouldn't need storm windows, and so if I only replace a few of the windows on the back, they wouldn't match, and would look really odd.

So my question is, do I really need to replace with a new construction type window to solve this problem or can I repair it?

Here are some photos of damaged areas: https://picasaweb.google.com/105578469235262607188/Windows?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink

If I absolutely can't repair without full replacement, can you think of any creative ways to make it so that ALL the windows match aesthetically on the outside of the house?

Here is a link that might be useful: Window Damage Pictures

Inspired Design of Harvard, MA
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
Metro Northwest Kitchen & Bath Designer | 7x Best of Houzz