Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chlobo

Anderson Replacment Window Smell???

chlobo
17 years ago

We just had some windows replaced in our family room last week and boy do they smell. Originally we thought it was the caulking, even though they said they used low VOC caulk. But now, a week after having the windows open & a fan venting out the room still smells and we're thinking its the windows.

Anderson said they've never heard of this. No one has ever complained. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Comments (9)

• mlloyd_aol_com
    17 years ago

Could it be bad Vinyl? You dont get this from pultruded aluminium from Marvin's Clad Insert windows, or Marvvin's INFINITY replacement line.

• chlobo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These aren't vinyl windows. They are fibrex, which is a wood/pvc composite.

We had one of their people out today who admitted he smelled the smell and that if it was caulking it should have dissipated by now. But all he offered to do was call the manufacturer about the smell.

Honestly, other than offering to replace them with the wood version I'm not sure what else I'd want.

We haven't been able to use the room since. We've continually vented it for a week now and the smell is still there.

• Michael
    17 years ago

They used caulking on the interior?

What kind of install is that? No interior stops?

Got pictures?

Michael

• mike35
    17 years ago

I've never heard of a window smelling???? That is strange. If it's possible, I'd remove the interior trim and check the space around the window. Look for moisture. If water has gotten in the opening, it could be wet insulation/wood. Or the installer may have left a sandwich in there!!!!
    But seriously, unless the windows themselves has something spilled on them prior to installation, they should have no scent to them.

• grmdvt
    4 years ago

Not strange. Windows can be smelly. Marvin double hung Ultrex reek like the fiberglass chemical soup the are made of. I have pallet wrap taped to my walls to block out the terrible window smell. It works to block it out. My house has a purple hue of the purple tinted giant Saran Wrap. If the wrap shifts or breaks, the smell comes back into the house. If you are brave enough to sniff behind it, be warned; it is really strong. It smells like the floor compartment of a boat; like fiberglass- because it is. I’m planning on replacing them with aluminum clad next year.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

Seems to be a run of those lately. Have you had the air quality checked?

• grmdvt
    4 years ago

It is the fiberglass itself from inside the unit. I can’t believe this product even exists. Lately? So maybe my batch is defective perhaps improperly cured or mixed? It is a big disaster for us. This issue is delaying everything. We’ve ripped off all the trim now, again. We had all the trim off before to foam up the windows which helped slightly but not totally. The windows have to go.

• HU-383647392
    4 years ago

I had all 12 windows in my house replaced in March 2019. My sons room has a smell of musty books when the sun is on the window. I’m not sure if it’s the window or what was previously under the window. What is the best solution?