Software
Houzz Logo Print
snaupal_gw

Starmark/OKNA Replacement Windows vs. Anderson?

18 years ago

We met with a salesman yesterday who quoted us a price for 13 double hung windows, 2 picture windows and a sliding glass door. Price was about $17,000. He was heavily pushing the Starmark windows by OKNA, and they did look impressive and extremely well made. However, my husband and I have never heard of them, and a Google search turned up not much other than several PA companies that carry them. Does anyone have these windows that can vouch for them?

Our other quote was for about $18,000 for Anderson Woodrite replacement windows. Any comments on these windows?

Thanks!

Beth

Comments (21)

  • 17 years ago

    Okna Starmark is a high end window that has great performance numbers. i know it beats out Anderson in performance.

  • 17 years ago

    Snaupal

    The prices you got for the Okna are way to high assuming an uncomplicated installation. Get a few more estimates on either the Okna or a few other highly rated vinyl windows. Also you don't need some so-called window expert who will surely steer you towards the Andersen Woodwright. Additionally the claim that the Okna Starmark is the most energy efficient widow available is a true claim. Something I would expect a window expert to know.

  • 16 years ago

    Okna starmark is a very solid well designed window.
    Its also one of the most energy efficient available. Its expensive but worth the investment. Its definitely a much better performer than andersen or pella.

  • 11 years ago

    I have seen both Andersen replacement and Starmark. The only concern I have about Starmark is will it be around as long as Andersen has. What happens down the road and something happens and you need to replace a handle or whatever. You know that Andersen has and always will be there. Any comments on this because I am unsure which way to go.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Home Sealed

    You make a fantastic point regarding warranties. What the heck is so great about Andersen being around for 100 years when their warranty is only good for 10 years!

    I never looked at it from that perspective.

    Andersen only warrants to the original owner for just 10 years and the warranty is not transferrable ?

    Okna went through 3 recessions ( early 90's, 2000, and 2008). 2008 was by far the worst and not only did many other window companies go under but so did many other manufacturers of other materials. Somehow, Okna actually grew their business during that time. Even GM went bankrupt and numerous banks went under.

    I also see that Okna just moved in to a beautiful new manufacturing facility with some real cool robotic / automation equipment.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much for all that great information. I did more research regarding Andersen 400 replacement windows and what I am reading is that they are very drafty. Who would want to spend that amount of money to have cold air coming through. Hopefully as I do more research Okna windows don't have that same draw back, because Okna 800 and Andrsen 400 quotes of $700 + are comparable. Dont know if that is a high price or not?

    So again thanks for the info and off to more research.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I have the okna 800 and they are air tight. All you need to do is look at the air leakage number on their double hung and you will see its a .01 . thats the test number that is used to measure air tightness. Every window has to be tested for air infiltration. Always ask for that number. Do not accept an answer such as " its under .3" or we only get tested for pass or fail. Or they dont have the numbers. Bull, they have them. Make sure they give you the numbers on a double hung. Some lie and give the casement or picture window number which of course is low. They arent operable. Well, a casement is but its locked and just like a picture window. The double hung is the true test.

    The okna .01 is the lowest you can get. I think the andersen 400 is a .22 or something ridiculously high.

    You probably did plenty of research, no need to over load which can be confusing. You have yourself a fine window at a good price.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    That is a very competitive price, could even be low if it is loaded with options

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, thank you. Next time I go see the window I will ask for the number for the air infiltration. Not too many options just white with grids on the upper glass. I am hoping for a better price since I am looking to buy 12 windows which are pretty large. My house is old with the original double hung, storm windows. lol!!

  • 11 years ago

    Can anyone suggest an OKNA installer / dealer in Southampton PA?

  • 11 years ago

    Since the company offices are 30 minutes away you may find them able to help you locate a viable dealer.

  • 8 years ago

    We replaced the 1926 windows in our daughter's house with OKNA windows. They are absolutely the best!! Lifetime guarantee!!! Kept their home warm all winter and cool last summer. Highly recommend. Can't wait to replace all of the windows in our house!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Lifetime guarantee is very common in the vinyl window business, even for low end Windows. The Okna is very good but I would not let the waranty be the deciding factor.

  • 7 years ago

    Researching replacing windows and siding is a really time consuming endeavor! I have received estimates from two well reviewed companies and was wondering if Anderson 400 full replacement double hung windows for $1,333/window installed or Okna 500 DX pocket double hung window replacements for $845/pocket window installed are reasonable prices. Both seem high to me. I have a small ranch house.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That depends on the details.


  • 7 years ago

    What can I tell you that would help provide your opinion?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Are they the 400 or 400 woodrights?

    are they staining, painting, or ordered prefinished For the 400’s?

    are they replacing the interior trim? Will that be stained/painted?

    what are they doing with the exterior trim?

    are they removing any siding?

    Do you’re Windows have lead based paint?


    If vinyl Windows is going to work for you I would get more bids with vinyl since it would be lower cost typically.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi toddinmn,

    Thank-you so much for your quick replies.


    Are they the 400 or 400 woodrights? 400

    Are they staining, painting, or ordered prefinished For the 400’s? Prefinished is an extra $125/window. They would be replacing the interior casing with new, primed casing.

    are they replacing the interior trim? Will that be stained/painted? Yes but just primed

    what are they doing with the exterior trim? Nothing

    are they removing any siding? I will be replacing the siding but that is a separate project I hope to do as the same time as the window replacements.

    Do you’re Windows have lead based paint? My house is a 1987 home so I imagine that I do not have lead based paint.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    That starmark window seems to be a much more energy efficient window than the andersen 400. the starmark website says its a composite which seems rather cool. That may be worth considering over the andersen.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The 400’s are coming in at $1458 per opening (prefinished) which is bit high.

    The 500’s are with in fair pricing IMO.

    I would consider another bids with domething comparable to the 500. May want ask the casing and jamb extensions. Be prefinished, kind of sucks cutting around the window and the wall.

0
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County