Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txgal06

Which color leather sofa? Pics

txgal06
16 years ago

I couldn't get the sofa I asked about last week so I am back to square one. Here are pictures of the rug in the family room. I am wondering which color leather would look best. Of course, the next question is what sort of chairs. Dh would like to have a leather sofa and loveseat but I think we should have something to break it up. I feel like I am being so picky; we have looked and looked and there are things about each sofa I like and don't like (feet, detailing, etc.) Please vote.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (49)

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Hi- I actually have the second set. I love it. It is like an old bomber jacket, the more worn it gets the better it looks. I have it in my casual living room (I don't believe in having a living room you can't use). Also, because there are so many different shades of brown in it you can easily match it with another piece of leather furniture without looking too "matchy".

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I like pic #3 : ) U can make it traditional looking or contemporary, IMO : ) Good luck!

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

And I like #1!
    So you now have three conflicting opinions! ;-)

Seriously though, I think all three sofas are gorgeous, and I don't think you'd go wrong no matter which you chose.

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And could you ladies comment on the colors with the flooring?

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

I think all 3 would like fine with the floors and rug, my personal preference is just #2 because I think it does not look like something you would find in every furniture store you walk into. It has charactor! I agree with you regarding the sofa and chair. I have the sofa, the chair, and then another leather chair. My rug is postitioned just like yours in front of the fireplace and the sofa runs along one side and the two chairs are opposite the sofa.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I really like the second because of the variances in colors that it has. But I think either #1 or #2 would look great with the rug. The third one just seems a little dark and heavy looking to me with that rug.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the lines of #1 with your fp screen and rug, but a deep rich chocolate or ebony with the room, rug, and flooring :)

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

I like 1 or 2, and would probably lean towards 2 because it brings in the dark brown color from the floor and the lighter brown from the rug. They're all very nice!

• les917
    16 years ago

I prefer #1 because the scrolled wood detail on the arms echoes the leaves and scrolls on the fireplace screen, and it feels a little more elegant for the style of your space.

Set #2 is very nice, but feels more masculine, and like it belongs in a library or men's smoking room.

The lighter color of #1 also appeals more to me with your floor color than does the darker, worn-look leather in #2, which seems a bit too close to the floor color.

Don't care for #3 - the stitching on the pillows doesn't excite me, and the pieces feel a bit stiff for your family room, maybe have more of a 'don't sit on me' feel.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I love #1 and I think it looks great with both your floors and the rug! It is Classic Leather by chance? We have a set very similar.

Lindy

• premier
    16 years ago

"I prefer #1 because the scrolled wood detail on the arms echoes the leaves and scrolls on the fireplace screen, and it feels a little more elegant for the style of your space."

I agree with Les.

• budge1
    16 years ago

I like #3 because it goes with the orangey undertones in the floor without being quite as light as #1 which also has orangey tones.

But if les and premier agree on something, I'd probably go for that.

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

I like #1 with the (very beautiful) rug, and it is a rather unusual color. I think the slightly lighter color just takes up less visual space, and I like the more upright back lines of the chair. The curves are somehow more distinct in #1, and I think that would look great with the sinuous lines on the rug.

My least favorite is #3. It seems lumpish to me.

That being said, you actually don't have a bad choice to make here.

• maredog
    16 years ago

I like #2! I was thinking the same thing about that type of leather looking better with age & wear so the bomber jacket comment made me chuckle! While I think all three would look good, nothing would be out of place I think #2 has a more traditional look which seems like would go well with the raised panel doors next to the fireplace. I like the sheen of the leather. #3 looks like a couch I was looking at and I liked it a lot but for my traditional room the stitching was more contemporary almost Southwest feeling. I also like the darker tones in the leather, it gives a little more contrast with the floor, so it doesn't blend in. Happy shopping!

• yakuta
    16 years ago

Wow this rug looks almost identical to what I have in my family room.

I actually have beige Natuzzi sofa's with it so almost the same color as the rug but I have a dark brown rather large tufted ottoman and a walnut stained oak armoire and a dark brown throw on my chair that helps bring all the colors together.

I wish I could post a picture but I am having a hard time right now.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Do they not offer a variety of leathers for each sofa? #1 is the only one that really seems to fit style-wise, but I do think the color is too orange. Your rug is very cool and the orange-y sofa doesn't look right, imo. I'd pick up the cooler brown tones of the rug in your sofa and the darker brown in the flooring, rather than the orange in the flooring. I think the orange tones in the floor will just come across similar to a terra cotta floor -- neutral. It looks like you have golden walls, too. I think a deep brown would be better with them and richer overall with your room style. You can still pick up the terra color here and there in accessories, art, etc.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

My sofa would look good with your rug! Italsofa

Here is a link that might be useful: Italsofa

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven--I think the photo and/or monitors are playing with the color of the floor. The color is really brown, not orangy. I ordered a swatch of the leather so I can see an exact color. You mentioned that the rug was "cool". Did I mess up getting that rug since the walls and flooring are warm? The walls in there are SW Whole Wheat.

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

I really like #1. To me it is more homey. The other two are nice also but look more like waiting room furniture.

• kahlanne
    16 years ago

I like all three but #2 is my favorite. I will give you something to think about. I have a loveseat and sofa similar to #3 and while I love the leather and overall look, I would not go with that style back cushion again. The problem that I am having is the cushions are attacked to the top hard back of the sofa and each time that someone sits down it is pulled or stretched down. Uggh. this is hard to explain. Anyway, over time the back cushions don't bounce back up into position when someone gets up and they aren't as stuffed looking on the upper portion of the cushion. Matter of fact, they kind of stretch down so much that they aren't as tall as they once were. I am not sure that you understand but in the third picture you can see from the corner of the sofa in the right corner of the picture how the creases go over to the hard back of the sofa which is supposed to be shorter than the cushions. Over time my cushions have gotten closer and closer to the height of the back of the sofa unless I come behind them and pull them up. This lasts until someone sits on it again and is a hassle. It isn't horrible mind you but I think I would have prefered removeable cushions entirely or a solid back. Just something to think about.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Your cabinetry looks like a cool white, too, so the rug picks up on that as well. The paint color seems to blend with the rug nicely. The browns in it look on the cool side in the pic, and I see some blue and a cool green. It does look like your wheat color is in there.

How about posting the upper half of the room, same angle, and I'll put the sofas in ;)

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh that would be wonderful! I am posting two photos because it's hard to get one from the kitchen due to the breakfast bar. Nothing is set on the bookcases since we are just unpacking and the picture is too small above the fireplace. Those will have to be redone soon. THANK you!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Your room is so pretty! and that wall color is yummy.

Here's the #1 sofa, and then differing degrees of chocolate on it.

• les917
    16 years ago

Great job as always, Squirrel. The lightest color of the leather looks the best in the room, without question. It brings some warmth and a 'happier' feel to the space.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You mean the first, orange, one? I totally disagree! lol

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I have to learn to photoshop. You have helped so many folks on this board. It helps so much as I am visual but can't visualize. ??? Now you two disagree? I am anxious to get the swatches and see if the color is that orange. My dh would never go for orange. I love that you added the knobs and pulls on the cabinets; those are on the list but I didn't want to finalize that decision until the sofa was decided.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I don't care for the first (original) color at all but love the sofa. The second and third work for me, probably the third which seems a bit dressier or refined, like your room, in its coloring.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I'm with Squirrel on the sofa color...I like the darker brown. It shows some contrast with the gold walls and light carpet.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Trying another of your sofas, the alternate room view, and a variety of browns, one more choc but with just a touch of the orange in it.

When I matched the white cabinets in the two photos, the rug went warmer and to more of an offwhite/natural background -- is that more accurate?

{{!gwi}}

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Nice job Squirrel showing all of the different options!! I am standing by my original vote for #2. And if you go with another, I would stay away from too dark of a brown or the orange. They just looks too harsh against the beautiful wall color and white cabinets.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I agree, too dark or too orange doesn't seem to work as well. Changing the color to dark does dull the other details, though.

Well, as of this morning, I've still changed my mind to #2. I like the ying-yang or something. More masculine sofa (but not too much) with the feminine. Maybe it's just the coloring, with the bit of golden in it, but I really like the soft worn comfy, lived-in feel it gives the room, and it still picks up the curves a bit. Hard to tell about the texture, though. Long as it's not too shiny in the room (the photo light maybe).

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Wow! I'm loving your room! Another vote for #2. I don't like the orangy one either. Where did you get that fabulous rug? I'm still trying to finish off my Great Room but had to slow down since the money pit has drained us. But I have a chocolate brown leather sofa and loveseat and I'm searching for a rug.

Lindy

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel- yes the rug is more of a natural/beige background. I would not call it off white. I am still waiting on the swatch for the sofa but agree a medium brown looks good.

lindy--I found the rug on Home Decorators Outlet. They ran a terrific rug sale and I purchase this one, two short runners for the kitchen, and another small rug for the laundry room for a steal! I was nervous about buying them online but read several posts here that approved so I took the plunge. I really like the one in the family room and now wish I had gotten more while they were on sale. I think it happens annually during the summer.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Squirrel, put a camel color leather sofa in there to see how that looks.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a lighter golden leather, using the same sofa. I'll have to go find a camel one because the color just goes bad beyond this. A light sofa in there does look nice. This one, from another thread, fits beautifully in there, although it's not leather. Love a light sofa with chocolate chairs, too!

Don't mind us playing and experimenting, txgal :) Someone out there is surely wondering about lighter sofas for a somewhat similar room :)

{{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I'm still for the medium/dark chocolate brown, or I do like that camel colored fabric sofa if you want to do a fabric.

What I don't like about the burnished brown sofas - and this is just my personal opinion, since I don't know the decor style of your house - is they feel old west to me. Maybe for a more casual room, but your room feels very crisp and not stuffy elegant, but more traditional in feel - a pretty room, not a rustic westerny feel. The rug is so pretty, rustic leather doesn't seem to go with the overall tone of the room - the lovely fireplace, fireplace screen and woodwork.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You're probably right, Carol. I think part of what I see when I look at that sofa is in my imagination! I suspect it's one of those hard, stiff, shiny leathers, which I wouldn't choose. Now that you mention it, I can see a Western influence, there! I think it's the coloring and variation in tone that draws me in, and that it looks a bit more comfortable and relaxed.

Not finding a good camel color pic yet.

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel-maybe this one? As much as I love that lighter color, it will not work with three children and a dog!
    {{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Txgal,

That's exactly the style & color I think would look best!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

OK, got this sofa to sit pretty in camel :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the new sofa, and warmer on the rug in the second pic! The dark chocolate is beautiful in there, much better in color and highlights than the virtually darkened ones above. Not suggesting a leather ottoman, too, just like that texture in there and it fills out the pic more :)

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm liking it a lot!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's another sofa I had picked up looking for something more comfy but not as masculine. Its ad is shown in the warm color you were looking at earlier, but not as orange. You can just block the ottoman with your hand if it's distracting :)

• budge1
    16 years ago

i love the sofa in the last pics.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You mean the dark chocolate brown, right Budge?

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Hmmm- I did not think you would get me away from #2, but I am loving this:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your help and advice. The swatch arrived yesterday and it is (ahem) terrible. It is soft and not shiny (which are two requirements) but it looks as if the some of the color has been rubbed off. Very rustic and not what we are going for. Tomorrow I'll call for a swatch of the last sofa I posted and hopefully we will have a sofa in place before the holidays. My guests hope so too! :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

There was a post on selecting 'leather' at one point. A deceiving term in advertising and many things to think about with regard to its wear and authenticity. Might want to research 'leather' well before making a purchase, if you haven't already :)

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

Wow I love that dark chocolate dressier style, it looks awesome with the rug and the whole look of the room. Amazing how many different looks you can get with a brown leather sofa!