Software
Houzz Logo Print
tnshopper_gw

1/2 way finished--kitchen unsophisticated?

18 years ago

Now that the cabinets that I've been so excited about are installed, I keep looking at them thinking they look too unsophisticated (or something--that may be the wrong word). Is it because the marble is not yet in? I hope. I am depressed about my island. The color I selected was supposed to be a muted blue gray but it looks VERY blue in some lights--it's NOT as blue as the photo shows, thank goodness. Please tell me I'll feel better about the whole thing when it's finished. I'm obviously still missing doors on the pantry, etc. I was going for a simply old fashioned look, but I'm afraid I've taken it too far and it just looks country! Here are some photos of the progress:









Comments (24)

  • 18 years ago

    Not at all!! Your cabinets are very sophisticated in feel - inset cabinets in my opinion are stunning. And they look great with your dark hardwood floors.

    I think you're not seeing it in context - the marble will obviously make a huge difference, as well as the appliances. What wall paint colour do you think you're going with? Your paint colour choice can make it look more "sophisticated".

    What look were you going for? It does feel like it has elements of "country" in it with the blue/grey island, butcher block top, and round island legs.

  • 18 years ago

    It does not look country! It looks "classic". What will make it look country is if you decorate country. "Keep it Simple" and it will look beautiful!

  • 18 years ago

    OH, it's going to be beautiful!

  • 18 years ago

    I think it looks great as well.
    I always thought that ORB hardware had a more sophisticated look and may compliment the dark floors better than the shiny pulls.(Then again, i have no idea what your appliances or faucet or any of that look like)

  • 18 years ago

    I had the same thought as staticfritz...that the bright hardware may make it look less sophisticated than something darker or satin/brushed/antique. But the hardware is more obvious now than it will be later. I think you should breathe and let it come together before deciding anything isn't right. The marble will make a tremendous difference. The wall color and backsplash will, too. Any window treatments or accessories will further set the tone. If you're not headed for 'country' on any/all of those things, it won't look country in the end.

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks everyone! I knew yall would be able to give me the reassurance I needed. I agree about the ORB pulls; that's what I had originally intended, but I fell in love with a chrome faucet and I wanted the faucet and knobs to match. If I hate it, at least that won't be a huge expense to change somewhere down the road. I'll probably paint the island also. I do think the legs are a bit cutesy, but I'm stuck with them now! Thanks again for the encouragement. I'll post more photos as the project progresses. I haven't come up with a paint color. I'm afraid I'll end up sticking with the beige I have now... I think the blue island was all that's left of my adventurous streak!

  • 18 years ago

    Gosh it's beautiful now and just wait til the marble goes in -- can't wait to see the pics!

  • 18 years ago

    Oh gosh - go read my old posts. I was nearly (well, I was) crying a few times in despair, thinking I messed my kitchen up. You really need to wait till it ALL together, and it will fall into place! Funny - I just couldn't see mine (which I love now) but I CAN see yours - it's going to LOOK WONDERFUL, and classic!!

  • 18 years ago

    I think all the little things that are bothering you will fade in the background when you get the marble and splash in.

    How are the bun feet in the island attached? Those look a bit country to me, but they aren't screaming "geese with handkerchiefs". It might be easier to switch them out than you think.

    It all looks terrific. I can't wait to see pics of the finished product. Have you picked out your splash yet?

  • 18 years ago

    I love the island feet! I agree that it could go in a country direction if you plaster it with cows & such, or it could stay in a classic/traditional feel, depending on how you decorate it, but the sink, wine rack, and inset cabs put it into the the sophisticated realm. Speaking as a blue-lover, please don't paint the island :) at least until you see the countertops.

  • 18 years ago

    It looks beautiful. It actually looks a lot like my in-progress kitchen. White cabinets and blue island. I on the other hand want my island to look blue. (Our's is painted P&L Copenhagen blue which is a bluish/gray.) I like the bun feet too. You've done a great job putting this all together. Can't wait to see the counters in.

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks. Sometimes when I walk in my heart just drops and I think, "what have I done?" Then, hours later, I walk around the kitchen, opening every cabinet and admiring everything. I wish I could just be satisfied. I guess when you spend this much time and money, it's hard to see it all come together without some doubt. I did want clean, simple, and classic--just not country, maybe a tad of country french. I definitely don't intentionally have country decor, though I do have a walnut corner cabinet that my great grandfather in Alabama built. It's going proudly right in the corner. Looking at that photo reminds me how glad I am to get rid of the green stained linoleum that was in the house when we bought it last summer:

  • 18 years ago

    I think it's lovely; fresh and clean, and not cutesy unless you go that way with decorative items.

  • 18 years ago

    The cabinets are beautiful and look really functional as well. I had the same feeling when my cabinets arrived. Once the granite was installed I felt better. Today the backsplash went in and it looks much more finished. I think when you have the marble it will be very sophisticated. Enjoy them.

    Beth

  • 18 years ago

    The first thing I thought when I opened up this post was "look at the neat blue island!" I think the island is great.

    I find that if I do quizzes on my style, I often get "country," but I don't think of myself that way. I think what is country about me and maybe you too, is that we like things that are welcoming, nice, but not too fancy and classic. I think this is what your kitchen is.

  • 18 years ago

    Your kitchen is a little black dress"!

    Simple, but oh, so sophisticated.
    Good bones so far, and it's gonna be beautiful!

  • 18 years ago

    We have a very similar kitchen to yours as far as the details. My house is for sale and the easiest way for me to show you kitchen pictures is this link. This is the second kitchen that I have designed gleaning from the information that I have obtained from the Kitchen Forum on Gardenweb.

    http://hometouramerica.com/tour.cfm?ad_id=3306&tour_type=mls

    I hope I am allowed to post this.

  • 18 years ago

    It looks sophisticated-country to me. The farmhouse sink, blue color, bun feet and cup pulls are all country-ish. It's country like Faith Hill is country -- a gorgeous version.

  • 18 years ago

    Beautiful house,vickery. Really amazing. I can't believe how much house you can get for the money in some parts of the country. That house would be 2.5 times as much where I live.

  • 18 years ago

    tnshopper-everything looks great! I can't imagine how beautiful it will be with the marble in.
    What is the narrow cabinet by the clock? A broom closet?

    Also-maybe it was in other posts , but can you tell us more about the cabinets you chose? Mfg, door style,paint, etc.... They look great.

  • 18 years ago

    I love your classic cabs. As Sweeby nicely put "the little black dress of kitchens".

  • 18 years ago

    I agree that it looks great.

    To me it's the cup pulls(is that what they're called?) that make it more 'country' but not in a kitschy way, in a comfy, 'I cook in my kitchen I'm not just trying to impress you' kind of way.

    Remember if you pick a wall color with blue in it, your island color will be less noticeable. A contrasting color will emphasize it.

  • 18 years ago

    Way sophisicated, even w/o the countertop! Can't wait to see the rest!

  • 18 years ago

    It's going to be beautiful from what I'm seeing so far. Looks high end sophisticated.

    I know how you feel. Looking at it half finished is a bummer because it's difficult to realize the finished product will be gorgeous. How can you go wrong with the choices you made when they are all so beautiful? Relax, it's fine.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County