Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Why do people love ceramic backsplashes?

redroze
15 years ago

I am so curious why people like ceramic backsplashes, not just the subway tile variety but in general.

I was all about getting a glass tile backsplash and had my heart set on it. Then I realized that it may not go with the style of my kitchen, and it bothered me that glass always has a greenish tinge to it (even the white back-painted ones) when I wanted something of a more pure white or slightly warm white. Ceramic is available in a wider variety of colours and it wouldn't compete with my attention-grabbing granite and antique style pendant lights. I am all about having focal points - for example, I usually only wear one piece of clothing or accessory with a bright colour while the rest are neutral. But I have never really been drawn to ceramic tile when I see it in the tile stores. Perhaps I am just seeing it out of context and it looks better in an actual kitchen?

Please tell me why you love it!

Comments (13)

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Ceramic tile offers an infinite variety of design choices, fits with pretty much any style or decor, it is very practical, easy to clean, etc., and can be relatively inexpensive. If it doesn't float your boat, though, I'm sure you can find some interesting alternative.

I think with beautiful handmade tile, even the simplest tile is like a little work of art.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

It's so PURDY!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha...Bill can you elaborate? Or at least define "purdy".

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Ummmm.... the opposite of ugly?? :-)

Seriously-- this is about as subjective as it gets. SOme like the look of ceramic as well as the practicality of it, being so easy to clean. Even that's getting to the point of going by the boards, though, with backsplashes made of stainless steel, slab stone (no grout lines) or solid surface, things like that. So when it all comes down to it, it depends on your own taste. But unless you just don't like the idea of ceramic tile on your backsplash, there's such a diversity of colors, sizes, textures, etc., that it's tough to believe that there's nothing that ANYONE wouldn't like. But like they say, never say never! :-)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Point well taken. =) I guess there are pros and cons to everything, and asking people what they like specifically about ceramic isn't going to make my life easier.

Well, I'm going out to explore out in the great big world of ceramic tile. Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Let us know what you find!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will do Bill!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

"Hi - My name is Sweeby and I'm a tile addict."

Well, more accurately, I'm a ceramic tile addict. Stones tiles can be lovely - glass too. But it's ceramics I dream about at night. (Yes - Really)

The color intensity of a ceramic glaze -- the depth of color -- the range of colors available. The subtlety and the boldness! Crackles, shiney, mattes. Absolute flats with rectified edges. Handmade with irregular surfaces and color variations. Earthy tiles. Out of this world space-age tiles. Vintage tiles. Futuristic tiles. Spanish Villas, Japanese Tea Rooms, Sweedish firesides, French Bakeries, English greenhouses...

How do I love tiles?
    Let me count the ways...

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

But it's ceramics I dream about at night. (Yes - Really)

Welcome to my world!! :-)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my, Sweeby. I'm SO excited after reading your post!!

• rosie
    15 years ago

It comes in sunshine yellow. Also clusters of oak leaves with birds peeking out.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Because it looks like this with my granite:
    {{gwi:1437848}}

And there was no granite that worked as well as a crackle tile hand made to match :) It's hard to get god to whip up a few sq ft of complimentary granite at the last second...

and because I wanted a shower wall that looked like leather:
    {{gwi:1418874}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Versatility...I get it. My goodness you have gorgeous tile, igloo.