Software
Houzz Logo Print
1ton_gw

Quartz Edging Not Consistent

15 years ago

I just got quartz installed in my kitchen. It was a lot of countertops, over 118 sq feet of it. I did it in a white color and a dark gray on the island. When the installers were done and I inspected the countertops, the edging looked terrible. I went for a straight edge. As I look down the line I noticed the way they routed or edged the countertop it was croocked. The corners were also terrible. They tried to round the corner and looks like they did it by hand. Each corner looked different. One mor round than the other, etc. The installer told me that it's bc they do it by hand and it could have been different people doing each corner??? Really? I can't imagine the process of doing the edge is any different from granite. I have granite in my old house with the same edging and it looked great.

They are coming out Monday to look at it. I bought this thru Home Depot and I know they subcontract the work out. My concern is that they can't fix it unless they shave a lot down or replace it.

Just wanted thoughts on 1. Is the edging process same as granite 2. What can I tell them? To me, the amount of monet I spent does not justify bad craftsmanship.

Comments (6)

  • 15 years ago

    THIS - is a prime example of WHY I tell people to AVOID HD !!!!!!!

    Post some pics so we can see what you see.......

    to answer your question - yes, the edge polishing process is almost identical to that used to process Granite - BUT with ES (Engineered Stone/Quartz), different polishing pads must be used as the ES "works" differently that natural stone, and the resins in the slab can literally MELT and BURN if not enough water is used to keep the ES cool during the polishing phase.....

    Sounds like the guys who did the fab havent worked ES very much

    sorry to here about your dilemma

    again - post pics

    kevin

  • 15 years ago

    Hi 1ton,

    Many fabricators I know start with machine to cut the large slab/sheet of material down to size then finish off the edges by hand, very similar to granite. If you went for a straight edge, they would/should put a slight bevel (eased edge) to keep the edge from chipping off. I think the condition described by you could be the result of less experienced person working on it and did not produce even edges and corners. Do you have enough overhang for them to sand it down? If not, I would ask Home Depot to replace it. You need to make sure they don't break your cabinets in the process. Getting the edges shaved and re-polished will generate lots of dust. I would ask them to seal off the area before they start so you don't get dust all over the rest of your house.

  • 15 years ago

    Before Monday, before you call HD, read the thread labeled Quartz Countertop Problem by Klake. it's a horror story that started out much like yours, but hopefully your problem will have a better ending. Good luck.

  • 15 years ago

    Yeah - read that thread .... Look at what I warned would happen......

    and it did......

  • 15 years ago

    Mine is a horror story - learn from it. Versus taking the sound advice from Kevin (azstoneconsulting), I let my emotions rule my decision by listening to the fabricator. He said they'd have someone there standing right next to the sander, getting all of the dust so there would only be a little (it was 25 feet across the room, in every cupboard - everywhere you can imagine). In addition, they said there would be very little water. There were gallons. There has to be or the quartz/epozy will burn. They attempted to build water dams with plastic sheets and kept the wetvak hose and a sponge by it - that didn't work.......still got on my hardwood which buckled them (they did lay down after they dried). The water spray/mixed with quartz dust got all the way up to the crown molding and on the upper cabinets. To top it all off, it still looks awful. The guy admitted that doing it by hand, in those conditions could not produce as good of an end result as doing it at the factory with proper equipment.

    Bottom line - listen to Kevin azstoneconsulting. I've since learned that he is extremely experienced and knowledgable. I totally sympathize with your concerns and heartache about having them remove your quartz, repair and replace, and all that goes with that, but trust me, that's the best way to go FOR YOU, maybe not them. Don't settle for lesser quality than you paid for. Good Luck! Keep us informed.

  • 15 years ago

    Klake - Thank you for your very kind remarks - I appreciate it....

    Hopefully, your sitution will get resolved quickly and to your 100% satisfaction.

    Everyone makes mistakes and falls short of their goals from time to time, and sadly, the fabricator did in both yours and 1ton's situations....

    What I just wish guys that call themselves "fabricators" would remember, is that there's a right and a wrong way to do "the work" and ALSO, a right and a wrong way to fix mistakes. Nobody's perfect, and we ALL screw up - I know that as well as the next guy, because I have made my share of mistakes too - we ALL do - it's how you make them right is what counts.......

    Hopefully in both of your situations, you will both get a resolution to your situations.

    Please feel free to contact me if you need assistance in getting your issues resolved.

    HTH

    kevin

    Here is a link that might be useful: www.stoneinspections.com