Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Favorite decorating magazine?

violetwest
10 years ago

I know we recently had a thread about regional magazines, but I'm wondering about regular, print decor mags -- which is your favorite? Architectural Digest? House Beautiful? Elle Decor? or . . .

Comments (38)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Elle Decor & Veranda

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Veranda and House Beautiful and Traditional Home

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think it would currently be Dwell. Used to be House Beautiful when I was more interested in traditional and transitional design.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Architectural Digest.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Style at Home

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooh, I never heard of the last one.

I like Dwell too, but I find in latest years that it's slightly repetitive; and despite the hype, I don't see the prefab industry really taking flight.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Phoenix Home & Garden; Architectural Digest; House Beautiful

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

Architectural Digest, Atomic Ranch & Antique Collecting.

Antique Collecting is a British magazine. Although not strictly a decor magazine, it has great articles on antique and vintage furniture and decor items - styles, eras, usage in historical interiors, restoration, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Collecting Magazine

• sochi
    10 years ago

Elle Decoration UK
    Living Etc. (UK)
    Arts & Decoration (France)

I try to like dwell, but I'm usually underwhelmed.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

For some reason I'm not keen on any decorating magazines anymore. A friend gave me Dwell as a gift and to me it is just OK. I used to like a magazine called Home Style but that stopped being published some years ago. I've also never heard of Style at a Home...looking forward to checking it out.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Currently House Beautiful, although I like the general direction of Architectural Digest with Margaret Russell at the helm.

I don't really consider Dwell a decorating magazine--to me it's more of a design/architecture magazine and almost an anti-décor magazine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think HB does a very good job of showing rooms that are somewhat aspirational but not "out there" in terms of style or accessibility.

I used to love any of the UK mags, but I don't travel there regularly anymore and I don't see them out here in the burbs.

I do like CT Cottages and Gardens, because they show looks that (surprise) would fit well in my home.

All that said, shelter mags are not the guilty pleasures they once were. There is so much more to see online.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Like joanieponie, I have no favorite as I'm not impressed in the direction they all seem to be taking. Too much trending for my taste, as well as a sameness from month to month. Nothing jumps out at me anymore, but maybe it's that I'm happy and content with my own style.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Not what you asked, but online I like Matchbook and Lonny. Has a mix of lifestyle and decor, but I really like the decor they have.

In print, sometimes my Costco gets some Canadian decor mags that have been quite good. (and I am in Kansas City, go figure!)

• sochi
    10 years ago

You can get subscriptions to the European decor mags online, through Zinio or iTunes, quite a bit cheaper than buying hard copies, which I still do from time to time. European mags here are over $10 an issue, much less for the digital versions.

Agree that quite a bit can be found on-line now.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Let's see:

Magazines that arrive In The Door:

Veranda
    House Beautiful
    Traditional Home
    The English Home
    Country Living

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Atomic Ranch? sounds cool.

This thread was inspired by a current issue of House Beautiful. For a long time I think HB was pretty lame, but I was really impressed by the current issue.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

One of the treats I buy myself when I travel out of the country is magazines. When I was younger, it was fashion so I have French Vogue from 1987 - scary!

I love UK House and Garden, French Arts and Decoration and all of the other funky magazines I pick up. This last trip I came home with Maison Cote Sud from France and Ville & Casali from Italy - both are really nice.

I miss Cottage Living. That was my all time favorite.

Right now I subscribe to House Beautiful.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't subscribe to any at this time, but used to love Met Home. I had A&D and House Beautiful as well. At least the last two are still at home. I should check out the others.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I no longer have any subscriptions to magazines altho occasionally buy "Style at Home", "House and Home", and "Country Living".

I look at magazines online more than in print.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I forgot about Metropolitan Home. I loved that one...

• Bunny
    10 years ago

This Old House. I don't have an old house, but I like their stuff.

• User
    10 years ago

Garden Web Home Decorating

• ttodd
    10 years ago

As noted by others, I too have fallen off the decorating magazine wagon. I used to have subscriptions to HB, TH, CL, CH, BHG, Victoria & Home Companion but some were discontinued and I haven't cared for the direction of the rest.

Right now I keep a subscription to CL only because the cost of the subscription is less than what I would pay for 4 issues per year just in case I would see something interesting.

Maybe it's because w/ their help I've finally developed a style that is me so I'm not 'looking' to them so much for inspiration anymore but to catch a glimpse of what's new and happening so that I can appreciate it or for the random 'something' that I may like and want to incorporate somehow.

I also have my 2 movies that I think sum up my style more than any magazine and I'd rather watch clips from them.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I currently subscribe to Architectural Digest,Traditional Home and House Beautiful. I like the direction that Newell Turner has taken HB, since he took the reins in 2012. When I get in the new house, I'll renew my subscription to Veranda.

I really really miss Southern Accents!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I'm like Mtn., I'm not into mags anymore since we have so much more on the Internet. I have a stack of current magazines that I haven't touched in months. I'm saving them until I can read them all. Who am I kidding? I won't read them! lol

However, there is one mag I recently subscribed to for accessories and ideas more up my alley. HGTV's magazine. It's so colorful and uplifting, and they list the websites where items can be bought.

It's also chalk full of decorating information that's easy to understand, short and sweet.

Below is the magazine website. Scroll down to see one of the covers they used. All of their covers are inviting.

Funny though, I can't stand HGTV television shows! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV magazine

• ttodd
    10 years ago

Oh wait! There is one that I can't wait to get in the mail every month - Southern Living!

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Style at Home is Canadian. Another good Canadian one to look for is Canadian House and Home. When I could afford it, I used to buy the UK decorating magazines, but lately I find they are a bit blah - as if they are trying to imitate the N. American mags.

I've noticed that a lot of the photos in decor mags have taken on a weird hue. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it is as if they were all taken with a slightly sepia lens and somehow one dimensional - very sterile, flat and boring.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Am I the only one who likes Better Homes and Gardens? I know it's kinda like 'your mother's decorating magazine' but I find that it often has ideas for real people who don't want to spend $5,000 on an ottoman. And I like the recipes and entertaining stuff, too.

I used to like Domino...

But like others have said, I refer to online sources much more these days.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Mom gave me a Southern Living subscription every year for years. Finally, I asked her not to any more. I used to love the decorating articles and a bit of the food articles, but it got so advertising heavy that i just gave up on it. The last issue I looked at had hardly any decorating text, and the recipes were all things I had seen before.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

I like BH&G - because more of it looks possible within my energy and budget. More compatible with children and dogs than most magazine decor.

I don't subscribe now though - 10-15 minutes leafing through at the library suffices.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Currently receiving HB and Southern Living... call me old-fashioned but one of my favorite things is to sit down with a good magazine. I feel that way about books as well.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

sueb20, yes, I subscribe to BHG (also for some good recipes). While I adore Arch. Digest, I don't subscribe anymore. It was just eye-candy, gasp-y stuff, nothing remotely akin to anything in my life.

I also Sunset. It's really a West Coast mag, out of the South Bay. Stuff looks like where I live. My only complaint is there's definitely a MCM trend which just isn't my thing.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Enjoy hgtv mag and bh&g. Would love to hear about the English home magazine...

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Foxes - Are you referring to commercial movies that have been released? Sounds intriguing - would you share?

Good topic - I've just dropped several non-decor magazines that I had been getting for years. They seem to have fewer pages and more ads and just not worth the money. I think I'll check our House Beautiful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sorry but I don't like bhg. I subscribe because its so cheap, but I always find its my least favorite go to out of the bunch. I did drop Elle decor as it was too modern for my taste. I do get AD for the eye candy.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 10:27

• peony4
    10 years ago

Quick note for this thread--I spent some time on the Lonny site, and found a useful feature in the "Photos" section where you can filter the rooms by style. Helpful feature--more manageable than Houzz, and more immediate gratification than waiting for monthly shelters to arrive.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Veranda
    House Beautiful
    Traditional Home
    The English Home
    Country Living
    Southern Living

Same as Tea Cats list with the addition of Southern Living for its Christmas and cooking ideas. I have omitted Romantic Homes recently as it appears to be redundant.