Software
Houzz Logo Print
middleofnowhere

What are the least expensive countertop options that are still modern?

13 years ago
I have a 1970 kitchen in an old farmhouse--because I have a small budget for upgrades (and most of it is going to new cork floors and more lighting in the ceiling), I'm painting my cabinets. I'd love to do a quartz countertop, but not sure Icahn afford it, or if the kitchen needs that high of quality. Would would be something that looks similar, but is less expensive, and still has a modern look?

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd look at laminate countertops. Formica and Wilsonart offer some wonderful new finishes, including a stainless steel look. Or a simple black matte finish would be lovely.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you see the seams on these types of counters? I have a (cheap) laminate that was installed 12 years ago and the seams are so obvious.
  • 13 years ago
    Another option to consider is concrete countertops.
    [houzz=
    kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Naify Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Goodbye 90's Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Be aware that some less expensive cabinets may not be able to support the weight of concrete or granite countertops. That does not mean the cabinets are inferior. It only means that when they were built, they were not meant to support that kind of weight.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The new laminate counter tops like Formica and Wilsonart have improved immensely in the past few years. You don't see seams and the new edge choices are very nice. It is a great way to stay in budget and still have style. With all the choices in finishes you can do anything from country to contemporary. If your kitchen isn't to large stainless steel or copper are great. If you make friends with a metal fabricator you could save some money. Or you can make it a DIY project a friend did his own they look good. He went with a rustic look that way his flaws added character. ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    I had an estimate on concrete and its not cheap. It was just as much or more than the granite and quartz.
  • 13 years ago
    I am considering granite tile. That is less money and can do an undermount sink.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    PS: they do a quartz veneer that goes over your existing tops and Home Depot has a paint treatment that creates different looks like stone etc.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can do an under-mount sink using almost any of the choices mentioned even to laminates have a under-mount "look" sink. It is pretty decent. The concrete option is expensive if you hire it done. There are however DIY You Tube videos as well as kits from Home Depot. These are not hard to do as long as you know some basic building techniques. It won;t hurt to try a small sample piece. Go on expand your horizons.
  • 13 years ago
    oh yeah the countertop transformations by rustolium.. good idea. if I had a countertop I might use that. What do you think of the ikea counters. They offer butcherblock and some laminate stuff but it has seems if you have a big island like i do.
  • 13 years ago
    Rustoleum makes a paint for countertops (called Rustoleum Countertops). It's good if you want to change the color or look of your countertops for $20. Just did my Jack & Jill vanities in upstairs (rarely used) guest vanities. I wouldn't recommend this for a kitchen or main bathroom. I just assume the finish wouldn't hold up, but again, I am assuming.
  • 13 years ago
    Formica---180fx is what you want. Good Luck!
    http://www.formica.com/home/laminate/180-fx/
  • 13 years ago
    Would rectified tiles work for you? Could get them in 24x24. Minimal grout.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow Natalie - Formica has come a long way!
  • 13 years ago
    But for as little as you save to do formica and still end up with seems I dont really see the point. I priced it out and it was only like 1000 in difference between that and quartz and there are so many negatives to the formica in my opinion.
  • 13 years ago
    If you do the concrete countertops yourself, it is cheap cheap cheap! We did them and we love them! Not as hard as you might think. Check out some videos!
  • 13 years ago
    "Least Expensive" is what I was answering. Concrete would be next, though the foundation has to be considered to withstand the weight... :)
  • 13 years ago
    I hear ya Natalie! :)
    But we did do ours for about $375 total...That's buying all the materials and making the forms, and the polishing pads, etc. No joke. Probably would have been about the same or more for laminate. Easier, yes, but easier is not always better!
  • 13 years ago
    We did beef up the cabinets, placing 2x4's across the inside tops of the cabinets in spots, from front to back of wall. I guess it all depends on the look you want, and how hard you are willing to work. We are lucky and pretty handy, and that makes a huge difference as well.
  • 13 years ago
    mpoulsom... where are the videos .. I got estimates of 3800
  • 13 years ago
    I just love your creativity . When I spoke to the concrete contractor he said its very difficult. You have to make a mold in reverse and pour the concrete and it takes years of experience. I am dying to know your process. I want to try this.
  • 13 years ago
    mpoulsom, Love your kitchen please tell me how you made the forms and did you seal the counters?
  • 13 years ago
    Laminate is not as costly as other countertop materials -- but what is really nice, you can choose a laminate countertop that actually mimics the appearance of granite or natural stone. ( http://www.web-don.com has more information)
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! I will try it!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I have been planning to re-laminate my Formica counters with new Formica. If you go to their website and look for the "180fx colors", they are amazing, you can order larger free samples too. Some of the colors will not show the "brown lines" but Formica now has another kind of "ideal edge" that looks much better. These new colors are interesting and you will save a lot of money. Granite is very expensive to get anything unusual, I was able to buy the laminate, through my contractor, directly from a distributor, rather than the local big box store. I have the sample photos on houzz now if you can find the discussion from a few weeks ago. Good luck with your project.