sergeantcuff

Starting Over 1930s - 1980s kitchen

sergeantcuff

Hi

I've been lurking for ages and have been a good student (thanks to the "new to GW" info). I am going to be very brave and show you my very embarrassing kitchen. I have lived with it for 10 years now! I think I have some ideas about what I want but would love some feedback.

My house is a 1930s center hall colonial with formal living and dining rooms - and the small cruddy kitchen (10 x 12) in the back corner. We want to keep the rooms as they are and work within the existing space - even with 3 doors and 2 windows.

I am currently searching for a contractor knowledgeable about old houses, as I wanted to get the construction issues out of the way first. With your help, I can be very clear about what I want. I still want it to look old (with painted cabinets, maybe even yellow).

Sorry for the bad pics (DH is out of town with the good camera).

Here is the main view. The entire left hand corner holds a radiator, and I hate that the sink is not under the window. I love the base cabinet to the right and would like the reuse it somehow.

Here we see the really lovely side with a portable dishwasher that blocks the window and the stove that just sits there like it was just taken out of the box (except for the dirt and crud). And a door to a bathroom which is basically unheated as it is part of an enclosed back porch (other part is a mudroom). I'd like to put the DW to the right of the sink and get a shorter window to get cabinetry around the stove. I think the radiator can be moved here as the pipes are on this wall already.

Here is my attempt at a plan showing all the doors!

Please help! Thanks.

Maureen