rhsc_gw

Shiloh Cabinets? How are they?

rhsc

I am in the process of building a new home and my GC has changed me from a custom cabinet maker to Shiloh cabinets. The custom guy is too backed up to do my house. I have not heard of Shiloh. How is their quality and what kind of reputation do they have? This is a fairly high end home (Wolf, SZ) and I want to make sure the cabinets reflect the money I am putting into the home. Also, I don't want any issues with quality later on. As an FYI, in my last house we used Downsview. Will I be happy with Shiloh? I have not seen them and am waiting to find out where I can go to see them in person. I am not really happy with this last minute change but I do want to know about the cabinets before getting too upset with the GC. Maybe Shiloh will be better?

• malba2366

@aries61 (or anyone else that has it) Is there any chance you could email me that dealer spec book for Shiloh. My email is malba2366 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

• kitchenkando

@malba2366, any luck getting the link or PDF copy if it was downloaded? Thanks!

Cabico vs Shiloh cabinets -- why a $8K price difference?

Some cabinets have a simple stain or natural finish while others use a multi-step coloring process for a glazed or antiqued look. These premium finishes will usually add around 15% to the price of a standard finish. With that large of a price difference in your bids I would first look at the cabinet construction. (Euro vs. Face frame or plywood vs. particle board) The Cabico cabinets might have been bid with a European style cabinet, meaning they don't have face frames and the Shiloh might have been bid as a faceframe. Your KD should have asked you if you wanted a framed cabinet or a frameless when he/she was going over your cabinet construction options. These are very much apples to oranges comparisons but it would explain the large price difference.

Need help picking paint color. Shiloh cabinets cashmere maple with moc

I am assuming you've already picked/ordered the cabinets, granite and tile. While this doesn't reply to your question, I thought I'd give you our experience with a kitchen laid out like yours, and with very similar finishes. You are going to have a dark kitchen. Unless there are a couple of large windows not shown in the plan, there appears to be little natural light, so you'll have to make up for it with cans, pendants, and under cabinet lighting. Lots of them! Paint color may help some, and the stainless will bounce around the light somewhat. If you haven't yet ordered, I suggest the cabinets over the sink have glass fronts, plain or textured, to also help bounce the light around. Is the door in the back an entry door, or a pantry door? I suggest that be glass paneled as well, with the same glass as the cabinets. Now, to answer your question on paint color, I would find the lightest beige possible, or a warm white. Just a hint of color, to blend in with your choices. They are lovely choices, and go well together, but you do need to consider the light as well. Please post pics when it's done!

Shiloh cabinet seams

I was unhappy when I saw those seams as well. My CAD drawings left much to e desired and I was unaware that those seams would show. I had showed the KD/owner multiple pictures - no seams showing. He looked into it and yes, we could have ordered fully custom from Shiloh, BUT they did not recommend such a long run of cabinets and the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. I've learned to live with those seams and have to admit I rarely notice them two years later. The best way to avoid this is to have cabinets that are built right on site. No, not RTA cabinets, but ones built on site. Very few custom cabinet makers are willing to move all their equipment to do such, so it's really rather unrealistic, at least in my area. My biggest problem was that some things were a "surprise". If my expectations had been more realistic, I would not have been disappointed. I'd never done a new kitchen before. I've helped clients choose colors/styles for their kitchens, but I am NOT a KD and have never been involved in the actual ordering. In fact, only one client got new cabinets - in most cases it was a case of painting/new countertops/sink/faucet. It's very difficult to get that many details "right" when doing something that is so complex, and yes, ordering cabinets is VERY complex. I've seen Shiloh's catalog and I don't know how my store possibly can know every single slight variation available. It's just not possible.

Shiloh Hanover or Lancaster cabinet

Hanover, and do a slab front for drawers,,,especially if they are smaller. if all your drawers are large like shown in the example, then it should be fine. I don't care for the larger (3") size.
  • malba2366

No I didn't. Initially I really liked the Shiloh because the initial price I got from the KD was very low. But after making things as close to as I could the price jump to Brookhaven was not too high so we will be using Brookhaven. Shiloh seemed well built and is a great buy if you want inset and want glazes (as they are no charge upgrades)...neither of which fit in to our contemporary theme...the only thing I do not like is a 2 year warranty when the competition is much longer.

The Kitchen Place

Hi Aries, Sorry, just ran across your question. I am not sure why some companies post their price books and others don't. I would guess that the reason they are not password protected is because they are just LIST prices, not actual customer prices. Each dealer, depending on where they are located will have a different 'cost". Each dealer decides on their own markup. Hope that helps.

KELLY

The Kitchen Place

UPDATE 2018: Butt doors are now standard with Shiloh. If you want the center stile for any reason, there is a small upcharge to have that added. Also, soft close is across the board standard now too.

• A K

@ aries61 I just came across this feed, I am researching Shiloh cabinets. Can you possibly provide the link for the dealer spec pdf? Thanks!

• janeen88

We had Shiloh cabinets installed in October 2018. So far one cabinet door has cracked and a panel next to a cabinet has split half way down. Very disappointed! These were not cheap cabinets but they are acting like they are!

• Hou 2009

janeen88, how did Shiloh handle your issues?

Anglophilia

I've had Shiloh cabinets now for 3 years. My uppers are full inset; the lowers are European frameless.

I have had ZERO problems with any of my cabinets. They are painted. I was even able to get drawers for my dog cubby and the paint still matched! Couldn't be happier!

• Riley O

OK...I just received my Shiloh cabinets. I was dealing with a designer who assured me of their quality...WRONG...! From the outside they look good, from the inside a different story. I went with Shiloh because the offer beaded INSET door / drawer construction..top of the line, right...? Wrong...! Again, the paint finish is nice, no problems there. Soft white with a cafe glaze...really nice. The end panel detail on the base cabinet is awkward to say the least. The transition between side panel and front face frame is a micro "v" groove that looks horrible. The side panel frame is only 1 1/4" wide, so when the 7/8" scribe moulding is installed against the wall, there will only be 5/8" of frame exposed...! The 42" wide, deep drawers (pots and pans) have only a 1/4" bottom. Yes they have a mid-brace running front to back, but still...why not use 1/2" and be done with it...? The dovetail drawer boxes are POPLAR, not maple...not the biggest issue I have with them. The BIG issue is that the ends of the dovetails are UNFINISHED. They look and feel terrible. This is because they pre-finish the drawer box material and don't bother to go back and shoot them after they are assembled. The refrigerator panels are MDF, not plywood. I suppose I will have to make sure that NOTHING ever gets spilled on the floor or that a mop never gets near the bottoms of those panels...! I paid a fortune for these cabinets. I am glad it was a small "feature" area and not the entire kitchen. KraftMaid are superior, but again, no inset doors / drawers. Not a happy customer...obviously...!

Anglophilia

I have had Shiloh cabinets now for 3 years and I am very happy with mine. I find their quality excellent and have had NO problems at all! I am also VERY picky!

It would be helpful if you included photos of your complaints - I cannot follow them at all.

I have multiple big, wide, deep drawers and they are filled with heavy pans. One has not only a huge Le Crueset pot but a big stack of cast iron skillets. There is NO problem at all with all that weight in the drawer!

• janeen88

Sorry. Just saw the new comments. Shiloh did not want to really do anything about the issue. The only thing they were willing to do is provide a decorative piece to glue over the crack! It would not have matched the rest of the cabinets at all! Keep in mind, these two cracks happened after only being installed for a few months!

The Kitchen Place

I know what Riley is describing. She must have Shiloh's decorative matching doorstyle end panels. We have this on our display and no one has ever complained. Yes, they are different than Plain & Fancy or other higher end cabinetry. This is how they do it. Shiloh is not a high end line...it's mid-grade...and their cabinets are amazing for the price.. I'm sure you spent what is a lot of money, but anything higher end would be at least 30-80% more expensive. I'll send pics and address the other things in a bit. Really busy right now. Janeen, post pics of both cracks...did they say why they would not replace? Where did the door crack? It's odd for a door to crack after a few months...are they saying you abused them somehow?

The Kitchen Place

What I believe Riley has is an "Integral Base End Panel" code IPB. It does have a micro v-groove where they meet. Shiloh also offers TWO other decorative doorstyle end panels: Non-fuctional AND Functional doors on the ends. These two options would not have that v-groove. Did your kitchen designer show you these other options? The other two options cost a bit more...I can't recall how much more but I think it's about $140 more per end. Shown below are two photos in my showroom showing the micro-v she's referring to.

Regarding the 1/4" drawer bottom....that is what many cabinet brands have for drawer bottoms...even Plain & Fancy custom...and those are very nice cabinets.

Their standard entry level dovetailed drawer boxes are standard 5/8" and they sand and coat the boxes but do not coat the exposed end cut part of the dovetail.

They offer an upgraded drawer box that is 3/4", fully sanded with a multi-coat finish.

Both come with the blum full extension when you use inset cabinetry. 95% of my clients go with the standard as it's less $ and functions perfectly fine. Plus, you do gain a tad bit of storage width with the 5/8" drawer box.

For the money, Shiloh is a great cabinet line. I think your KD didn't manage your wants/needs and expectations very well. She should have sold you up to Plain or Fancy or something along those lines.

• Riley O

I spent $3,300 before taxes and installation on 2 cabinets (a 42" modified drawer base and a 3621 wall cabinet, 2 - 2796 refrigerator panels, one wall cabinet end panel plus a couple of sticks of scribe and shoe mould and one of flat 3/4" edge mould. Sorry for feeling I deserved better quality for my money. You will never convince me that exposed, unfinished dovetails are acceptable. There is no way to sand them after assembly without scuffing the pre-finished drawerbox material...and that is why mine are rough. Defend Shiloh all you want. $3,300 may not be enough for you to concern yourselves about, but to me it was a lot to spend for what I got. At the end of the day, I have no one to blame but myself.

• Carla Semancik

I am so confused about all these cabinet lines. I am trying to decide between shiloh and schuler. Both all plywood construction. Schuler is from lowes and a better price by about 1500.00. The other thing I don’t understand is if i were to buy from Lowes rather than a smaller business is the build going to be as good? Any suggestions?

The Kitchen Place

Carla, I sell both. What "Lines" are you using from each? Shiloh has their traditional framed line, Aspect entry level and Eclipse Frameless. Schuler is the same thing as Medallion Cabinetry...just a box name private label. Medallion has several levels as well. Silver is entry. Gold is mid and Platinum is "framed inset cabinetry". Designcraft is their frameless. It really depends what you are pricing with each cabinet line. I think both lines are great. Aspect by Shiloh is the best bang for your buck, for sure! What are you wanting? What do you care about??

• ILoveRed

My daughter used Aspect on her budget remodel. It is a beautiful kitchen but I think she should have spent a few bucks more and used the full Shiloh cabinetry. The finish was supposed to be as good as Shiloh but it wasn’t. Lots of flaws and a cracked cabinet that was replaced by another cracked cabinet.

The Kitchen Place

What do you mean by lots of flaws? I have installed 3 Aspect kitchens in the last couple months and we haven't had any issues. No flaws or damage. That is very unusual for Shiloh. I rarely have issues with them.

Some entry level cabinets use a "vinyl" printed material on their end panels. Aspect has real stained or painted veneer ends.

Aspect series partial overlay has a great price point. I think for entry level, in an entry level home, partial overlay is just fine. Here are two pics below showing a few Shiloh Aspect's recently added blue finishes....dark azure and indigo. Below is photo the darker blue (dark azure) just recently installed...it is a partial overlay shaker style door. Less clearance issues. Many of my clients find it hard to see the difference between partial and full overlay. Just be sure to do a chunkier, more blunt door edge profile, not rounded or tapered back. That helps! The full overlay will cost about 13% more than partial.

• Carla Semancik

Hi there i have no idea what cabinet line but both are all plywood. both are about the same price range. Dovetail.. stained maple shaker full overlay. Within a couple hundred of each other. I am only getting 3/4 pullout drawers with shiloh though. Why is it so hard to decide which to get. It seems like medallion gets better reviews bit they both look nice!!!

• christycga

I'm shopping the Shiloh and the Aspect line. My Cabinet designer said that Aspect has a "high-grade" particle board box. Should I stick with plywood?

• Carla Semancik

christycga I am going with all plywood. I feel like it will hold up better for me. i feel nervous about particle board myself. I guess it depends on what you feel most comfortable with and what kind of warranty the cabinets have.

• Linda Bryant

We just installed Aspect in our bathroom/laundry room in Agreeable grey. 5/8 “ hardwood dovetailed drawers. Looks beautiful with my slate flooring. No problems with these cabinets. Thinking about using them in the master bath remodel next year.

• ILoveRed

Kitchen Place...my dds kitchen in Aspect had so many flaws in the painted finish (nicks, scratches, cracks, painted over gouges) that the rep came to her house to examine the cabinets. They only agreed to replace the most egregious doors/drawers. It was very disappointing. Her microwave cabinet had a crack in the back wall. The replacement was worse and had a crack in the side structure (not pointed out by installer until installed) and she just kept it since she was due to have a baby any day and just wanted everything finished. Furthermore, the soft close drawers make an odd bumping noise when they are closed. The best Solution offered was to put something in the back of the drawer to take up the extra space that is supposedly causing the thumping noise. It was an inexpensive kitchen and overall she is pleased but we were told the finish would be the same as Shiloh and it is Not. For another 4K, she could have had Shiloh which to me is Superior In every way.

I know you use Aspect and your experience is different but this truly was her experience.

• Linda Bryant

I probably would have picked a better cabinet line if I was doing an entire kitchen. I only ordered four cabinets and the light grey was perfect with my slate tile.

• Carla Semancik

Well.. i never did get around to ordering my cabinets. Since my last post our remodel had been put off. My daughters friend owns a cabinet shop and has the Mid Continent Signature line. He has them on display and they look beautiful. He is giving us a great price on them but the reviews I read are super mixed..They are all plywood..dovetail.. soft close.. under mount drawer slides Any suggestions on this particular line? I feel apprehensive..

The Kitchen Place

Most all cabinets can look beautiful if designed and installed well. Even entry level cabinets can look impressive to consumers. I could not find any construction specs online for Mid-continent. That is what you need to look at and see how their finishes look and feel. If I had to guess, I would say Shiloh is a step up from MC. I would put Shiloh at an upper tier mid-level cabinet.
    Without Mid-Continent specs though,, it's hard for me to say which is better. Also, price them both....you'll need to weigh out the specs vs the cost on both. Any other cabinet pros out there that know about MC?

Anglophilia

I sure love my Shiloh cabinets after 3 years of daily use!

• Carla Semancik

Shiloh did not have a stain I like. Starmark cabinets so but I don’t know much about them either. They are the only cabinet line i found a grey stain I like. Any thoughts on starmark? Thanks

The Kitchen Place

Carla, Did you look at Silas (gray stain) on Alder? It's gorgeous. Show me what you do like and maybe I can recommend a stain for you.

• mkynkor

We have done a number of remodels and new builds and have used Brookhaven , MidContinent and now Shiloh. We now wish we would have spent the money on Brookhaven. Our Shiloh kitchen had to have nearly all the doors replaced due to manufacturing problem which resulted in doors being so off in size they rubbed together when they closed and no room to adjust them. The finish showed numerous nicks as mentioned in the previous reviews. This is a painted shaker style cabinet which apparently the center panel is also used as a raised panel so when you open the doors use see unfinished edge of the raised panel? The inside of door frame also shows pin holes where they were nailed. The new doors which were replaced do not have these pin holes yet the KD said the pin holes are normal? We have not seen these issues in any other cabinet line we have used. These were supposed upgrade using plywood boxes. Much better cabinetry is available ... we looked at Medallion and now believe that would have been better value and quality for slightly more.

• Carla Semancik

thanks. I gave up on shiloh after i called them twice and was put through to a managers voicemail and never received a return call. Also gave up on gray because my husband doesn’t want it. I have been working with a star mark KD. They seem like well made cabinets. Thanks for the input

• mkynkor

Good luck! We are still working with the kitchen design company on our cabinet issues luckily the owner has gotten involved. That is another lesson for us is working with a great design company who stands behind the products they sell.

• janeen88

mykynkor. We had to have several doors sent back also when they were installing the cabinets. It took them three times to get two doors right because the stain was so far off the rest of the other cabinets. The installer was getting mad at us. We told him to take it up with place we bought it from. It was so bad, we had to take an existing cabinet door down and send it to Shiloh to get the stain right. Our kitchen remodel has turned into a disaster! on top of bad cabinets, our Alaska White granite is turning yellow where the cream is in the countertop. Fought with fabricator and was told basically to suck it up!

• Grateful4Advice

@janeen88 Please get a really good sealant quickly for your Alaska White granite and keep water off the countertops until then, since moisture may be reacting with minerals in your stone to create that yellowing. Look into Stoneguard, on the high end of pricing but a very good sealant. And thanks everyone for the advice on Shiloh. Reviews and experiences seem widely mixed.

• janeen88

Thank you. The spots that are yellowing are not even close to water. These are places that are far away from the sink. I truly believe that it is a very poor sealant. We paid extra for a 15 year sealant!

• Grateful4Advice

@janeen88 Could it be the sealant itself that is yellowing? I've seen that reported and pictured here in the Houzz forums before, but it would be a consistent yellowing across the entire surface or perhaps in areas that receive direct sunlight.

• janeen88

The way my kitchen is designed, the granite doesn’t get any sunlight on it

• Grateful4Advice

@janeen88 You might benefit from creating a new post to receive more helpful comments on your granite changing color. Some granite enhancers can yellow granite, and less commonly, sealers can change the color. These can be stripped and different products applied to restore the original color, but it's a job for a professional and should be under warranty since your installation is so fresh if that is indeed your issue.

• Tirnipgreen .

I will say this...after complaining earlier in this thread, I am VERY happy with the quality of the finish and the quick response time on the part of Shiloh to replace a couple of drawer fronts. The new drawer fronts' finish (soft white brushed cafe glaze) is a perfect match. I still think the drawer boxes should be maple and finished AFTER assembly, no excuses...!

Sevick Remodeling

I don’t know about all Shiloh lines but stay away from there inset cabinets. We have 2 jobs where the customer used Shiloh inset cabinets and a lot of the doors and openings are not square so you cannot get a nice even reveal around the doors like your supposed to.

The Kitchen Place

Sevick...please post pictures of it. I sell hundreds of thousands of shiloh inset each year and occasionally will get a warped door. I've never had an un-square opening.

m wood

1st time remodeling....Remodeling our kitchen due to water damage. We are looking at Shiloh’s Rustic Alder - walnut stain with black glaze, windsor flush inset doors and drawers. Upper cabinets with interior finish. It’s a U-shaped kitchen with island. We currently have custom stain cabinetry. Looking for guidance...

1. Price quoted including a “stock” granite approximately $28,000. Is this right price for selection or are we getting overcharged?
    2. Granite vs Quartz? We’ve always had granite. What are the pros and cons of quartz?

Thank you in advance!

m wood

Kitchen floor plan

• Shannon_WI

m wood a Pro, an interior designer, and its her "first time remodeling" and asking about granite vs. quartz? I don't get it.

m wood

Shannon, I just saw that by my name and honestly don’t know why. My profile has our business info but I am not in the trade. I did study ID but have never practiced. Would like to change that as I do not intent to misrepresent.

• Tirnipgreen .

@mwood I would ask for white maple drawer boxes, NOT poplar like I got. I found Shiloh's painted finish very, very nice on my cabinets and would think that would be indicative of their other finishes too. Hope that helps...

Sevick Remodeling

@ the kitchen place. This is the one cabinet I was talking about. The doors and cabinet frame itself are out of square. The other kitchen that we finished had the same problem but I don’t have any pictures showing the messed up cabinet on that job.

Sevick Remodeling

We typically sell Bridgewood cabinets but these 2 customers found Shiloh cabinets at a local retailer and went with them.

The Kitchen Place

If they are out of square, they would have expedited you a new box within 5 days (express shipping). I should say.....Leaves the factory within 5 days. Your installer should not have installed it

Inset cabinets need to be installed with extra care so they don't get racked out of square. I had a client hire her own labor. She thought a door was warped and never told me about it until months after the contractor finished up everything. The door was not warped but the box had been racked during install...you could see a gap at the crown molding. She had the tile backsplash installed already so we adjusted her door to look as good as possible. She decided to live with it. The only way to fix it was to take off the crown molding, reset the wall cabinet so it wasn't racked anymore and put the crown back up. She didn't want to do that.