Software
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieandbill

Suggestions are welcome!

13 years ago
Our new loft apartment is quite a difficult decorating project! All the furniture, except for the Chinese wedding bed, the Quan Yin statue and the mirrors behind her are from our prior residence and can be replaced. The great room pictured is about 30x30 with16 foot ceilings. Any input and/or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Bonnie and Bill

Comments (37)

  • 13 years ago
    I love your decor the way it is! :)
  • 13 years ago
    The first thing that screams out at me is....change the wall colors. I think the off-white walls (I'm talking mainly about what appears to be off-white brick walls) look quite bad and don't showcase the sort of exotic style of some of your furniture and the large plants. I'm thinking red walls. Also, do you need those 'temporary' looking walls that are in yellow and purple? I think those half-walls really take away from the open loft space and I also don't like the yellow and purple colors...I don't think they add to the decor at all. If those half-walls are there to create privacy, could you try to do it in other ways....curtains, more folding screens, etageres etc.? I really dislike the half walls, especially where they meet up with the columns.... it just looks very 'chopped-up'. Sorry but just trying to give some honest constructive advice. ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Touch nothing
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Keep the Asian. All the white looks really good. Would rethink the lavender wall. How about wallpaper instead?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Gorgeous-Love it all!---Except the wall colors. 2 colors for you: SW 6125 Craft Paper and SW 6151 Quiver Tan either one (or both if you want a mix) will really accentuate what you have going on... Best of Luck to You---keep us posted. CheerS!
  • 13 years ago
    i know, unfortunately we inherited the wall colors but we have always planned on changing them. thanks for the color suggestions, we will check them out!
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful place, beautiful furnishings and a great start. Love the paint around the walls, think they work well with the flooring, your art and other decor. Not loving the bright colors on the separation walls which I don't think go as well with the other muted colors of the rest of the room. They look almost like a theater set. I know you're just moved in, so will probably need some time to define what you'll use the space for. I think it would help to divide and define areas a little more. Perhaps ground and separate some areas with rugs and also close off areas more to one another with screens or with backs of furniture to the rest of the room. Love your choices so far!
  • 13 years ago
    I like it just the way it is. Nicely done! It looks collected and "loved".
  • 13 years ago
    love it...just makes me want to see more
  • 13 years ago
    thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement!
  • 13 years ago
    Christa,
    thanks for your comments and interest.
    there are pics of the kitchen under "Please help with our challenging kitchen" that we posted in the design dilemma section a couple of days ago.
    we just finished the master bath and plan to post that in the before and after column.
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy,
    thanks for your insightful comment. much of the decorations have been collected for years. And our main goal for our new residence was for it to be, as the cliche goes, our "sanctuary" that is filled with love and peace.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn (Albert),
    your wisdom and encouraging note is very much appreciated!!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with these positive comments and I used to live in an artist's loft and never like what designers do with them. It's gorgeous what you've done, personal. But the purple wall.. It's not just the color. Suddenly against this wall you have gotten very traditional with the furniture setup. (as much as I love the furniture) I had a friend who made a wall of old distressed doors. Another neighbor covered his bathroom wall with old medicine cabinets. I have a tradition of hanging my old Mexican chairs on the wall in a grid and removing them for use as needed. Artists put all kinds of collected things on top of their half walls. I'm not suggesting those ideas specifically, just trying to open up the possibilities for something 3 dimensional or the illusion of 3 dimensional, unexpected. You obviously have the talent to figure it out. But I would paint the walls neutral first . It's too hard to come up with an idea when you're staring at big flat squares of gold and purple.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Our contractor is painting the yellow and purple walls a neutral, tannish color called "hush" next week. It is the same color as part of the painted brick. I will post an updated photo when it is complete.
    Thanks!!
  • 13 years ago
    Can't wait to see. I may miss the purple. : )
  • 13 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing the walls painted too, and delighted to hear you decided to go with a tan hue. CheerS!
  • 13 years ago
    :)
  • 13 years ago
    Happy, healthy--and beautiful-- new year to all our houzz friends!!
  • 13 years ago
    More views!
  • 13 years ago
    Very cool! So funky... yet sophisticated the way you've decorated.
  • 13 years ago
    I love it...so flipping cool!!! Love what u have done/are doing!! Good job!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I Also love what you have going on- certainly red, black, cobalt blue or emerald green are what you might expect to see with Asian artifacts -but I like the soft ochre color of the mail walls. There seems to be quite a bit of yellow in the flooring color, so I wouldn't fight the warm color temperatures. Nonetheless, I think that a bit of purple might work quite well - just not the rich deeply saturated purple of the wall. Have you ever seen an analogous color wheel? With the soft ochre, I think that an accent of a violet that is substantially lighter in value and much less saturated...ie, 'greyed' down, would be a lovely complementary color to use.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you, thank you everyone
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I have Chinese pieces my father brought back from China and Persian rugs.

    I was going to do British Colonial, but now I am thinking World Eclectic .
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In my humble opinion, both styles are beautiful and they overlap quite a bit.
  • 13 years ago
    AGREED, BUT WITH MORE OPTIONS.

    whoops....
  • 13 years ago
    agreed!
  • 13 years ago
    Agreed!
  • 13 years ago
    Gorgeous unique home! I can't say I would change anything!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, emily!
  • 13 years ago
    This is a place to die for! Wow. You have such beautiful, subtle wall colors on the brick. Please keep them exactly as they are. The bright modern separation walls are fighting the room. Have you considered fabric, woven grass or bamboo on the short walls? The metal screen is totally out of place. Would a tall, freestanding water element be possible? I think that there is way too much drapey drapey on the furniture. Tuck the fabric on the bed for a cleaner line. The ottoman could use a softer, more cohesive fabric as could the chair that is totally concealed with yet another drape. I would bring more textiles (cushions) into the sitting area to keep the flow moving. The bookcase is a dark hole and needs some coordinating accents of color here and there and possibly some tucked in lighting. Go with the charm of the faded yellow on the walls and add complimentary colors around the room with textiles - soft lavender and a muted spring green with a splash of rust or soft yellow for good measure. Mixed patterns are o.k. The white walls should be toned down with a warmer white. Happy decorating. Did I mention that I love this space?
  • 13 years ago
    I hope some magazine picks you for a feature article! Love love love your loft.
  • 13 years ago
    Andrew, thank you so much!!
  • 13 years ago
    Wait!?! There is something wrong with this space?
  • 13 years ago
    my thoughts were that there is always room for improvement! But not everyone agreed.
    thanks so much!