seaduck_gw

How do you clean your sink grids?

seaduck

I love our new Orca sink, for which we bought two grids -- one is a full-width bottom grid, and the other is an upper right half grid. We use both simulataneously. I admit I wasn't totallly sold on the grid thing, but took a leap of faith based on the advice of this forum. And yes, they are terrific and increase the utility of the sink in ways I hadn't imagined.

Here's my question: I can fit the smaller half grid in the dishwasher, but the bottom grid won't fit. What's the best way to clean/disinfect it? If I plug the sink drain and add, say, Cascade powder and our super-hot water to the level of the grid, would that affect the atainless steel finish of the sink basin itself? Would I get a water line? Or is there some better idea?

• cjc123

Oh my this is funny... I JUST finished cleaning my Orca sink grids this morning!! I fill the sink to above racks with realllly hot water and oxy clean. Let them soak till the water is cool enought for me to get in there with a scrubby, Clean all sides and rinse, take racks out and wipe out sink.. shiny new looking... CJC

• seaduck

Thanks everyone for these ideas. Vinegar sounds interesting...if it's just a couple of inches of it, will it leave a line? I am not looking forward to scrubbing this thing, which is why I thought of the Cascade (I pour some into pans that have scorching, fill them with the hottest water, and let them sit overnight.)

At Home: We deliberately went with the uncoated stainless, based on comments here that were confirmed by our sales person. Apparently the coating can melt. I don't see the reason for coating, and lots of reasons not to! I think the noncoated grids are relatively new.

Cleaning your Dryer Lint Trap - How often do you do it?

I clean the 'easy' one every time I use the dryer. About once a month I use a long wand like flexible brush to clean as far down into the vent as possible. I also use the wand attachment on the vacuum to clean as far into the vent as possible once a month. I became diligent about this after seeing the Fire Chief of a small town on television talking about it. HIS house burned to the ground because neither he or his wife ever deep cleaned the dryer vent. Made a huge impression on me!

How do you keep your floors clean during the winter?

I have a very small entryway (about 4'x3') by my back door with a small area rug. Shoes come off at the door. I just bend down to untie them and slip them off. If they are caked with snow, I step to one side with one foot and then the other so my socks don't get wet. Only stocking feet or slippers in the house. That's how we were raised and it's just habit now. With guests at the front door, most volunteer to remove shoes but I do not request it. I make sure to keep the walkway shoveled before guests arrive and I do not use salt so any snow tracked in is pretty much just clean water. Sure, there might be some spots, but it's easy enough to mop up with a damp rag after guests have departed. When I visit, I'll typically bring my slippers along and take my shoes off at the front door.

How do you clean your glass shower doors?

We have water glass for our shower doors. After showering we leave them open so the water can evaporate. The water glass hides a lot of imperfections i am sure. So far, cleaning just with water seems to work

How often do you clean your house?

I am a very untidy person so I need to always tidy up and pick up after myself. However as for all out cleaning. One a week tops and then it's not perfect! Obviously things like the kitchen and bathroom need going over daily. I don't dislike cleaning. However, if it's between cleaning everything in the whole place or going to do something more interesting, it's definately the alternative. Life is too short to spend so much time being spotless constantly. Once every 3 months I go top to bottom all out. And in between?! Ah what ever I feel like! I know people who enjoy cleaning and do it extensively everyday. Not my thing.
  • cjc123

I have the coated by the way. I also have used Mule team borax, that works well too. The only thing with the coated is that it will melt if you put a hot pan on it... (DH did this - oops -- sad face)

• athomesewing

Thanks for the info, and the cleaning tips too! (:

• sedeno77

One way to clean it in the dishwasher is take off the top rack and let the grid sit on the bottom rack.

• marcydc

DH takes them outside and hits them with the powerwasher.

He's always looking for things to do with that toy :)

• jejvtr

I use magic eraser and soft scrub

• dretutz

Second for the Oxyclean hot water soak. Comes out sparkling.

• seaduck

CJC (and dretutz) -- must have cross posted earlier, cuz I missed your Oxyclean suggestion. I might give that a shot; I'm a big fan of Oxy.

How often do you do this?

And thanks everyone for the suggestions. Soft Scrub is appealing, too, cuz I think it has bleach in it. As you can tell, I'm looking for a lazy way to clean AND disinfect.

• bmorepanic

A denture brush. Use dish soap, takes very little time.

• francoise47

Hi kashka kat,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    I used your vinegar method last night -- works like a charm and made the sink so clean too. I love my new sink grids!

• stephct

So I just ordered my sink and ordered the grid, but I really don't understand what it is for! I'm glad you all like yours...can you fill me in? :) Thanks!

• mabeldingeldine_gw

Steph, the grids protect the sink bottom from scratching, they allow you to wash a few dishes/pots etc., and leave them on the grid to drain, raise the bottom of a colander off the sink bottom to drain without backwash, allow a sponge or scrubby propped on the grid against the side of the sink to drain and dry... etc.

I was in the same boat, the grid came with my sink but wasn't sure about it, now I love it. And I too flip mine over and add hot soapy water to cover the grid. I might try the Oxyclean, but the dishsoap has been fine thus far.

• cjc123

I don't have to do it often,(every couple weeks) but I admit I am a "cleaner", I wipe out the entire sink daily and use a sponge to wipe off the grid. This sink was the first purchase we made and I still LOVE IT! The viniger does work great but with my counter's I have to be VERY careful about it splashing on to them. Not worth the worry for me.

• stephct

thank you!

• lascatx

I flip mine over and scrub it with a brush, hot water and any cleaner that seems to fit it's current state of gunkiness.
    I wonder if it would fit without the upper rack.....

• Brian Hughes

My sink inserts came with small white plastic on the edges of the metal inserts. Are you supposed to leave these on? The bottom insert sits in the sink without touching the sides, but the top half insert rests on a lips of metal. Maybe these white plastic snap ons prevent scratching?

• christinaroache

Hey! I have a ceramic apron sink. the grid is never really dirty, but the rubber things that keep it from scratching my sink are gross! I've soaked them overnight in baking soda/vinegar/water and scrubbed them with the nipple side of a bottle brush. still black and gross. any other good ideas?

• suzanne_sl

Don't forget to take off the little rubber feet on the grid when you clean it. They get really gross if you don't. Ask me how I know!

• gloram

So no matter what,looks like you still have to scrub with a scrubby or toothbrush...ugh. I love my grid but pain to keep from getting scummy within few days. Wish there was a spray that dissolves any gunk and then you could just rinse with water.

• Toronto Veterinarian

I have a grid that I don't use (came with my Krauss sink) because I saw little benefit and a lot of mess. Given that SS sinks won't get damaged like those made of other materials, I'm not sure of the point. But at least now I have more ideas for keeping it clean. Anyone have more suggestions to make it more useful?

• Chessie

I have never had a sink grid before, so it was a new thing for me. I have a new Kohler stainless sink, and while out shopping for sinks, I noticed all the sink grids. I found that I really liked the look, and I also like that I can drop things into the sink without any concern at all to scratches on my shiny new sink LOL. (Obviously it is a stainless sink so really there is not much to worry about but mine is a very smooth polished finish - unlike most these days that are brushed.) I also like the fact that my sponge/scrubber can sit on the grid in the bottom, and dry out. Anything set in the sink just dries faster. It's just a bit neater and cleaner, for me. So far all I have had to do is wipe/rinse off the grids. No special care.

• Karen Gagnon

I'm having a love hate relationship with my sink grid. I really find it very useful, but I hate cleaning it and I'm surprised at how much crud can build up in just one day. The rubber foot area can be especially disgusting. Great cleaning suggestions in this post. I'm going to soak the damn thing in vinegar right now!!

• Jim McCall

Get out your saw: you'll never look back. It's not perfect because there is a little gap and it is obviously a bit of a kluge, but even so, this modified sink grid is awesome. I put this now 2 piece sink grid in the dishwasher every time I see any skuz. It is so easy. I told Ruvatti I did this and they reminded me I voided the warranty. Duh!

• Kay Clawson
    last year

Jim I don’t have a saw - can you just come saw mine in half as well?? ;)
    I agree the manufacturer should have made it do you can fold in half and put in the dishwasher. I’ve tried and it will not fit. I love my big apron sink and the grate, but washing it is my least favorite thing about it. Will try the vinegar method today and if that doesn’twork will try oxy clean which is something I’ve never used. Thank you for all the suggestions!

• Chessie
    last year

How weird! I have never had any issues keeipng my sink grids clean. No problems with the little rubber feet either. Must depend on the specific grid.

• Peke (Patti)
    last year

Jim, I have the same Ruvatti grid. Have your black legs started splitting yet? I need to buy one or two new legs.

• Brian Hughes
    last year

Probably would be easy to clean it when I have the power washer out do the deck.

• Jim McCall
    last year

Patti - no my black stumps are still golden. No splitting. I guess I have something to not look forward to. Btw, that Ruvatti sink is nice looking and way cheaper than a more name brand.

• Peke (Patti)
    last year

It is. I have never used the collander or cutting board though that came with mine. I really thought I would. I prep on the island watching TV instead. Open living and kitchen.

RCKsinks Inc.
    last year

@ Patti Yohe . Curious as to what model sink you have?

• Peke (Patti)
    last year

RCKsinks, I think it is the Roma. I looked on Ruvatti's website, and they have lots more sinks now than when I bought mine. I bought 2 for under $900.00. One for kitchen and 1 for laundry room.

• Sunny K
    last year

Jim McCall, I was thinking of cutting mine into 2 pieces as well and google search got me to your post. After you cut, it seems the center would have no support without the plastic "feet"? Did you find it ok or did you attach new feet near the cut edges for support?

• backstroae
    last year

I’m cracking up reading these yet with the same frustrations that led me here. I agree Jim it gets me there seems to be no manufacturing company that would even just make two grids to in half that butt up to each other so you can skips these grid scuzzies in the dishwasher. They take way too long to try to clean and still look nasty.

RCKsinks Inc.
    last year

Actually backstroae

I know one that does. The problem with the split grids is all in the costing.

• backstroae
    last year

Where can I find them? I had searched online no luck.

• LJ

Just a thought… I have the Franke Orca ( which I love) but was having such frustration with the little plastic bumpers & feet. I called Franke and they told me the newer ones are better and sent teplacements. I am putting them on right now (not easy!) and we’ll see if they are actually better! I’ve only had the sink for a couple of years. The old ones had stained red and were moldy so quickly! Fingers crossed.

• backstroae

Oh I have an update. I been soaking my grids with a dish detergent tab. Works wonders!! Soaked in hot water than I wipe down with a microfiber cloth and it cleans up well gets all grime off.

• Gina

I have had my Ruvati sink for 3 years now and love it even though I always struggle to get/keep the grate clean! I’m so happy to have found that I’m not the only one! It sounds like I’m doing the same things suggested so I’ll keep trudging on….

• theresen

Jim - 🤣🤣🤣🤣! I may do the same to my Ruvati grid!

• backstroae

Try it! Game changer for me with my cleaning routine. I do use cascade pods with Dawn brand but not sure it matters

• poorgirl

I hated my grid, I took it out and if the sink scratches, it’s a sink. I couldn’t stand all the stuff that got under the grid, I took it out and don’t see a need for it.

• kculbers

I use a nice gray silicone sink mat that always looks great, and so easy to clean, in my stainless steel, one large basin, sink❣️❣️

• Jim McCall

I did see a sink wherer the manufacturer made the grid out of some kind of stiff rubber like material rather than steel and plastic - and you can easily put that in the dishwasher. Smart idea! Meanwhile, my surgically altered stereo metal grid has been working great for 2 years, and no plastic feet have fallen off or gotten damaged.

• a a

I spent my morning looking for two separate grids for my 32" sink that can't fit in the dishwasher. When I couldn't find two that I liked enough I started thinking about alternatives.

I was just considering Jim's idea with cutting mine in half, but was wondering if there would be any stability issues. Thinking about adding a bar to the cut edges, etc.

Ended up reading Sedeno77's comment about removing the top half of the dishwasher, which I had also never thought about for some reason.

Literally just threw it into the dishwasher now, but it barely fit. I can imagine a 36"+ not fitting. Might end up cutting for ease of washing anyway in the near future.

During my search I came across the Circuit Chef grid from Elkay. Two halves, but they are still wire attached. Probably foldable and in line with another one of Jim's suggestions above. Really wish more companies would start offering this as standard for larger sinks.

• Anne Duke

I remove the second dishwasher tier and put it diagonally in the bottom tier along with the baffle filters from the range hood.

• Anne Duke

My sink/grid is an Elkay, their price point for grids is simply ridiculous.

• M Miller

I removed my sink grid to the trash. I feel free! No more cleaning it, no more looking at crud in the nooks and crannies, no more dealing with the feet. Yay!

• M T

Spray oven cleaner on it, wait, rinse. Easy. Can do outside to avoid the cleaner fumes in house.

ALC Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Toronto Based Interior Design Firm - Interiors | Decor | Styling