Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melder2914

My problem wall

9 years ago
Help, please with this 18ft wall!! it is not the focal point wall but it needs some help. I have an antique clock,a console table and a mirror , and a tall plant stand with a vase on it.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    9 years ago
    Not easy to have a correct idea with one picture. How high is the ceiling ? First, put the miror horizontaly
  • 9 years ago
    I am attaching several pictures to give you a better idea. Any ideas you have will be appreciated. I love the idea about turning the mirror horizontally. Thank you so much for your reply.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You have a very beautiful room and a rather empty wall too:)
    add more to this wall and move them closer to form a grouping , that ceiling fan might be ideal for comfort but it could be changed to something a little more elaborate . Adding a couple chairs to this would be a plus .
    Kichler 6-Light Ceiling Fan - Olde Bronze · More Info
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the pictures. What kind of furniture is under the mirror ? The decoration on the others walls is well balanced !
  • 9 years ago
    Console table is under mirror. Sofa is 3 feet from the console table which is seating area with the fireplace as the focal point. (I do have 2 couches facing each other) Hope this helps! Thank you for your time.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lovely space and a nice start!

You mentioned that this wall is not where you want to focus, and it would be easy to over-do the design of this wall, pulling the interest away from the fireplace group. Keep it simple on this big wall so that doesn't happen.

You might consider this . . . The focal point is lost in the room somewhere. I assume that the conversation setting is it? Not sure because that setting is not is not visually strong enough. You can fix that with a larger, darker rug. Paint the area over the fireplace a bit darker. As it is now, it matches all of the walls and, as a focal point, should be more distinct from the rest.

Hang the mirror over the mantle, keeping it even more unique in the room. Hang all art on the other walls. Remove the sconces and place larger items on the mantle.

Since this space has a vaulted ceiling, you need something on the cocktail table that has more volume - tall and full - leading the eye to that focal point.

The long wall could be treated in 2 ways. Either filled with a gallery of black/white photos in similar frames, or going simple, hang a rug on the wall, for example. Looking at the room as it is now, it feels like you prefer a simpler design.

So, if you hung a Persian-style rug [about 8' X 3'-4' wide, runner shape] over the console, you could add a pair of side chairs on either side of the console. These would fill out the area under the rug, and be a nice backdrop for the sofa group. There are tons of rugs on line as well as the hardware to do this.

This "wall" rug should coordinate with the rug in the conversation area, or, use the rug in the convo. area for the wall and then replace that one with a large, darker, solid shag, for example.

I spy a chair near a window in one of your pix. Do you have a pair of those? Something like those would be the right size for each end of the console.

If you would rather use this wall for pictures, you could install a picture ledge, 10' minimum length, and place your photos on it. Because of the volume of this room, think big. Some of the pix should be at least 14" X 18". Well done gallery walls take time to complete, so be patient with this solution! The ledge should be traditional in design, of course.

Other ideas - ]Find a loooong cabinet and develop the wall around that - or - Install trim to make faux frames around artwork, painting the inside of the faux frame the color that is over the mantle.

And, one more thing [sorry!]. The lamp you have on your console now needs to be shifted closer to the center of the table top. It is going to fall off in the next second! The lamp's shade needs to be no larger than the depth of the table top and fit completely on the table. It is just fine to layer the lamp in front of the mirror.

Thanks for sticking with this long post and reading through it! I usually am too wordy and this is an example of that - just have too much to say, I guess!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I agree with the comment on using a large piece of art.... I have included some large art pieces from my space photos which might also provide you with some ideas
  • 9 years ago
    I would push sofa back against wall. Over it add add your mirror, hand 7" from top of sofa. and clock next to it centered to mirror. Get a end table and put a lamp on it and then use other tall table on other side. But get a bigger taller items to sit on top of it.
  • 9 years ago
    Take item off mirror. Add more red pillows and a throw to sofa. Add tall orchid to coffee table instead of candle. You need height and color. Everything is beige. Bring in pattern and color. Another choice would be get a big 36" picture. Place over sofa I stead of clock and mirror. Which do nothing for room. Can you move everything to left? Can u center sofa on wall?
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry just saw other pic. Move big picture on back wall with sconces to back of sofa move mirror and clock to picture wall.
  • 9 years ago
    Center armoire more and remove picture next to it. You do not have to put a item on all walls. It looks to cluttered. Remove furn that is not needed like bench next to Armoire.
  • 9 years ago
    Since sofa would look off if pushed back. Leave where it is. Add big pic as I said above. But remove table with lamp etc. pull tall table up to arm of sofa. No table on other side.
  • 9 years ago
    Remove everything from mantel.
  • 9 years ago
    If you have a entry, I would put table behind sofa there. With mirror.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I agree with all of Nancy's comments... great input Nancy, I think if they take your advice they will be pleased with the outcome.... :-)
  • 9 years ago
    Hang the mirror over the FP and change the fan to a chandelier. I would take the large picture and two sconces to your 18' wall. Add a table under them that is 25% wider than the picture/sconce vignette. Put the mantel picture in their place, right of the large opening.
  • 9 years ago
    Since the space behind the sofa is also a walkway don't shove the sofa against the wall. A sofa table behind the sofa would look lovely with a pair or a single lamp. The table and lamps will stop the eye. You won't see big blank wall. Then put a gallery of photos or art on the wall.
  • 9 years ago
    How about flipping things around? Move the artwork with the trees onto the problem wall. Move the mirror where the tree art is. Decide on one set of sconces for the room. Try the idea Dar Eckert gave of the rectangular console against the back of the sofa and the more decorative one in it's place. Paint the fireplace wall a deeper color inspired from the painting above it. Perhaps, a dark green or black? Agree with the comments about a larger area rug. How would the basket look on the floor in front of the fireplace? I also like the idea of changing the ceiling fan to a chandelier. The tree or pedestal table could go on the left side of the bookcases. The tapestry is beautiful. Could it be part of a grouping with the clock and your collection?
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!