Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontime21

What did I do! Need help

ontime21
9 years ago
I just had new tile installed all though my house. I don't know if I like it! It is dark, dull looking,and busy. What color should I paint the walls? All the furniture is going too. What color do I look for in furniture. How do I pull everything together. I not looking for country. Really, what did I do!

Comments (112)

• sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I would avoid grey or any matching to the floors for walls & ceilings. Without a window in that room I think staying with the off-white spectrum (many, many choices of white). But buy your sample cans of paint before replacing any furniture. Go area rug 1st. I would love to see a monochromatic room with mostly whites.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I don't know, but if you have a pencil to the right of your posting, carmonincali I think houzz allows you to edit. Maybe click on the pencil & delete your text. Don't know if it will work but I have edited many of my own posts that way.
  • curlieq
    9 years ago
    You're just not done decorating yet. I have a similar floor in my kitchen. It's a nice neutral base. So, what are your favorite colors? Do you have a favorite painting or area rug or even piece of clothing that makes you smile when you look at (or wear) it? Do you have a collection, like blue and white Chinese pottery? You have a jumping off point for colors. Is there a particular feel or style you want? Modern, beachy, warm and cozy?
    Even just putting down a colorful area rug and adding throw pillows will help you see the room in a better light. Have fun with it! And please post pics along the way.
  • PRO
    Catherine Grace Interiors
    9 years ago
    Benjamin Moore Classic Gray, Horizon, or Revere Pewter cut in half.
    9 years ago
    I personnaly love the floor. What caught my eye negatively is the white of the coffee table. With some "stagging", perhaps adding more white so the coffee table blends. Your floor provides a good foundation. Post after pictures!
    ontime21 thanked 7417
  • Ava L
    9 years ago
    Hi...I would start with trying to find another t.v. table along the same style of your other furniture pieces. Find the lightest gray color in the flooring and add that to your walls. Find a rug that has some kind of pattern or texture with a great color pattern. You could then start looking for pillows with those colors in it. Then add small things on the coffee table like a tray with candles in the same colors as the floor. You will need a nice picture on the wall or a design that is something you will like. I do all of my house and when I do design for clients, it's all from Garage Sales, Yard Sales, Goodwill, Swip/Swap (in your area), Thrift Stores. If you have a little patience you can refurbish it and add things to make this room really yours and make it warm and welcoming....hope this helps.
    ontime21 thanked Ava L
  • Elaine Coombs
    9 years ago
    I think a coastal color theme would work well for furniture and accessories! Teals, blues, creams. Check out the photo sections on here and you'll get great ideals
  • arvabrol
    9 years ago
    white color on walls will transform the entire area with new life.
  • jodysjems
    9 years ago
    You're going to add a gorgeous area rug with a bright design throughout and throw pillows and art- lighten up the furniture and you're good to go! Lighting can play a good part in how it looks also- put a chandelier somewhere to brighten and look eclectic!
  • erincarmody
    9 years ago
    The flooring is beautiful, very popular right now. Paint the walls a grey tone to make the space more modern and try a more contemporary looking sectional on a nice area rug. Stay away from beige.
  • erincarmody
    9 years ago
    See attached colour scheme.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    erincarmody, the color scheme above is lovely, but please note it does NOT reflect the OP's floor which has serious pink/red undertones. Anything on the cool side of the color wheel is going to pop that pink, possibly not in a good way. Rather than staying away from beige, that is exactly the direction she should go.
  • phoebe3
    9 years ago
    I like your tile and I don't think it looks any "busier" than a wood floor. I echo others' posts in that an area rug and different colors will make it work better.

Everyone else has given great suggestions and I don't have anything to add - just wanted to cast a vote so you would feel better about the tile, which was a great choice!
    ontime21 thanked phoebe3
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    9 years ago
    Edgecomb Gray HC-173 from Benjamin Moore is the color I would recommend for the walls. It's a soft color that will blend nicely with your floors and is neutral enough that you'll be able to bring in other colors easily.
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/edgecombgray
    ontime21 thanked Loribeth Clark
  • Kathy Dunn
    9 years ago
    I would go more dramatic with your furniture...a deep red or maroon would look great. I would consider an L shaped sectional for the back right corner, a nice area rug in either a contemporary or traditional pattern (depending on your tastes) and the put an entertainment center on the facing wall.

Look for furniture style dog crates that can also serve as end tables. I have seen some very attractive ones (if you must keep the crate in this space).
    ontime21 thanked Kathy Dunn
  • moonyenoom
    9 years ago
    I think it looks weird cause your walls aren't white, if they were white it would tie everything together.
  • oceannotdesert
    9 years ago
    groveraxle, what program do you use for rendering?
  • User
    9 years ago
    i see lots of dark grey suggestions - i think that would make the room too dark with no contrast. please stick to lighter tones of paint - i would go with a warm white or soft warm yellow to contrast the purple-ish floor colour. Then if you have some brighter or muted purple cushions, etc it will work with everything. Good luck!
    The floor is beautiful!
  • ontime21
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is my living room, it is open to the dining room. the dining room has a big window. but there is no window in this living room. the tile has no pink tones in it, maybe its the lighting or what you might be seeing is the browns
  • Bernice Santiago
    9 years ago
    I love your floor. Maybe because mine looks a lot like it! I went with a lighter palette of whites, creams and greys accented by coastal blues.
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The thing is, you don't have to stay in the gray color family.

My daughter had tile installed that looks like gray bleached wood.
    You might think it needed to be a beachy or country room, but she has her great grandmother's mahogany dining room furniture and parchment walls with brown painted moldings and blue window treatments.
    It looks wonderful.

I would start out with an area rug that you love and that goes with the floor and pull colors from the rug, but choose something that you love and want to look at for a long time.

Had you planned to replace your furniture before the floor was installed?
    If you did not, I think that your current sofa looks fine.
    I would just add an area rug to pull the furniture together.
  • Susan Davis
    9 years ago
    Having just spent the summer looking at model homes in Washington and also Texas I say paint the room a nice warm white. Every home I looked at this summer was painted white in the principal rooms with bedrooms and bathrooms done in very pale blues greens lilacs. so I vote for white; it will be different but not too different and very brightening. The you can decide what color/colors to use throughout the rest of the house. White is definitely in with contractors and designers. Benjamin Moore does a great cloud white that I have used for 20 years in my homes for trim and ceilings. Good luck. The floors are to die for. You did good Girl.
  • kathylawyer
    9 years ago
    I also laid porcelain wood tile though-out my house. It has taken me quite a while to get used to the dullness as well. The one thing I did, which helped was to switch my recess lighting to LED warm appearance (2700k). I also put 6.5 inch base molding all around, (Dunn Edwards Swiss coffee). I just started updating a bathroom and did a cape cod theme, bright and clean, now the floors look more rich and they're easy....can't wait to redo my kitchen. But I totally understand your concern, I was totally freaking out at first!! All the mess and $....
  • gbby
    9 years ago
    A cool very pale grey, satin will look good, go to Lazyboy, bring a tile sample, check out the fabric and style options, check out Great Big Canvas for art for your wall, Restoration Hardware has some of the best throws out there. Tape some of HGTV shows like Love it or List it. Try to have fun with it too. Your tile choice is very, very nice.:)
  • gbby
    9 years ago
    I forgot, go to Overstock to check out the millions of area rugs out there for your toes.
  • gbby
    9 years ago
    One more thing, don.t forget to pick a nice tall baseboard, paint a clean white, it will look great. I think know I'm done.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I've emptied the room and painted. Perhaps this will help you narrow down paint colors. They are, in order, warm gray, cool gray, pure gray, and white.
    ontime21 thanked groveraxle
  • pabrocb
    9 years ago
    You can decorate this room just like any other room with a "wood" floor. I agree with posters above that the walls should be white. I don't think you have enough windows for gray walls. I think the sofa and chair color clash with the floor. I would put a classic red based Persian type rug down and bigger furniture than you have. You could certainly do a sectional in that room. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/rochelle-2-piece-sectional-sofa/s220902 in smoke. Looks like you have dogs, so no white sofas for us!
  • Patricia Smith
    9 years ago
    Use Coral to liven up the room.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    ontime21, where do you stand right now. Completely befuzzled?
  • whynotdecorate
    9 years ago
    LOVE your tile!
  • buzzbrain
    9 years ago
    My neighbor just installed the same looking tile, and she's having the same exact dilemma! These ideas are sure to help her as well, thx houzz'rz!
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Why do you have the living room in the area with no windows? I would swap the living and dining rooms if it were me.
  • suzisunshine1
    9 years ago
    I put that same tile in my bath to complient a soft green retro tile (house built in 63). You could use gray as your main wall/furniture color then pick a rug you love and get your accent colors from that.
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Personally, I would keep the walls light in a silvery grey to keep it light and bright, and consider painting the ceiling the same color as the wall instead of the traditional white to make the color flow. I did this in our new house in all rooms and welcome the continuity; some rooms have crown molding in Dover White for some contrast. We also have 6" tall baseboards for a nice look. Your furniture can go a bit midtone grey (taupe is just real appealing to me); just decorate slowly and know what you want before you shop so you don't make expensive mistakes. Houzz is a great research source. Good luck.
  • Marly
    9 years ago
    Paint the walls emerald!
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    Your floors are absolutely beautiful!!!! I think the paint color is throwing you off a little bit. I like groveraxle suggestions. However, if that room is going to be used a lot for TV viewing, I would considered place the sofa opposite to the TV (better on the neck). Your space looks like a great candidate for an oversized sectional. What do you think?
  • gbby
    9 years ago
    white is so boring, grovalaxle's grey choices are good, ask you self, "Do I like warm or cool?" than decide. You don't want to get stuck in this room figuring out choices for months. I am sure you have more rooms to freshen up. Check out the pics from Houzz regarding living and dining room spaces. This helps you think outside the box.
  • spisland
    9 years ago
    Currently your furniture and walls are too similar, and not the best tone for your new floor.
    If you can paint the walls with something cool and coastal, your furniture should look so much nicer in that room. You did great choosing your floor, trust yourself!
  • Jessie Green
    9 years ago
    Pops of color will help. Accent pillows, area rugs and art work will all help tremendously.
  • Susan Davis
    9 years ago
    From what I am reading grey is becoming very over done and white is the new it color.
  • ahewitt402
    9 years ago
    You said you are not going for country. Please give us some direction on the look you are going for (traditional, modern, contemporary, minimal, etc.) and/or go through Houzz and make an ideabook of living and dining rooms that are pleasing to your eye. Post 3-5 of them. Also let us know who will use these rooms and what they will do in these rooms. Then I think we can help you find something that fits the look you are going for and the needs and wants of your family.

I think that once you get some things you like, the floor will fit in nicely as a "background, supporting player."

I prefer to have a completed design plan in my head, on paper or a PhotoShopped photo of the room with furniture, wall color, flooring, accessories before starting to put in pieces. That way you know that everything is available and it all works together. It's also good to have a starting point that you work out from. I like to start with artwork or any print fabric that you want to use. That becomes your color palette.
  • mjkjrobinson
    9 years ago
    What are you talking about its awesome, all you need is your favorite color on the walls and it will be beautiful
  • User
    9 years ago
    Grays can easily turn lavender...throw up some samples before you commit to your wall color...
  • meora
    9 years ago
    You can never go wrong with white walls! Maybe a sofa in grey or greige. The floor is great!
  • whistlerhouse
    9 years ago
    A rug...get a rug that is not busy...a nice beige gray..
  • Jenna Taylor
    8 years ago

So far I think a white or an off white, that's softer would go well, and add far as decor, I think going for a coastal theme would look very nice. You can use throw pillows in textures and complimentary colors like soft blue grays and wicker storage baskets to coordinate. You can even find an area rug that has similar colors to match. I like the idea of furniture that has removable covers, so you can change it, wash it, whatever! Do what feels right to you. What's your favorite color and gone decor styling? Print out, clip out, and arrange your own inspiration board to go by, using your floor as a jumping off point. I'm excited to see what you choose to do! This tile is a great alternative to wood and easy to maintain. Good luck

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I agree with Jenna Taylor that white or off-white walls would look great and would contrast nicely from the dark wood floor. Once the room is brighter, you may want to give your country-look furniture a second chance. I would suggest you choose two accent colors you really like and use them in small but unequal amounts to give punch to the room.

• PRO
    Architect Mason Kirby Inc.
    8 years ago

A red or bright rug would add depth and distinction to the room. Have you considered any sculpture or 3D wall art? It also would help bringing a windowless room to life.

• mjkjrobinson
    8 years ago

It's awesome flooring, paint the walls to go with and add art, it's beautiful