Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_5736287

How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?

11 years ago
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the sofa. I already have a painting above the love seat but I'm having a hard time decorating above the off-center sofa due to the love seat. Please note that due to the patio window/door and layout of the living room this is the only arrangement possible. I have three square mirrors (they are perspective mirrors from CB2 and they are about the same length when three of them are put together above the sofa.) My question is I don’t know whether I should center those mirrors over the sofa or to the wall. I'm not sure if I don't center them to the sofa it will look strange but then if I do I’ll have about 4 ft of blank space left on the left side. I’m going to have a tall plant in the corner but there will still be a space left between the plant and the mirrors. I also have 2 sconces I want to put up on the wall but I’m at a loss as to how to decorate with all of this. Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (46)

  • 11 years ago
    put the end table on the other side of the sofa?
  • 11 years ago
    oh i see, you'd run into trouble with the other love seat. hmm.
  • 11 years ago
    you have room for 2 love seats to look nice. i understand, you own a couch and a loveseat. but they don't fit. what other choices might you have for the loveseat so the couch could be centered on the wall?
  • 11 years ago
    like, do you have a chair someplace to replace the loveseat, and snap your fingers and make the loveseat disappear?
    User thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago
    Have you tried switching the sofa and the love seat? Or facing the two away from the walls a bit, but with enough room to sit comfortably? If you can't switch the sofas, try moving the love sat close to the door and move the end table to the other side of the couch. That will move the couch to the center more. Then you could put art work off-center over the couch or do a line of art from wall to wall.
    User thanked houssaon
  • 11 years ago
    it will probably feel better when you get the plant in there. Maybe then put the sconces together on the left side instead of flanking the mirrors, staggered, not side by side. here's a nice example of a balanced room with an off-centered couch. I know you don't have the window, but need something that visually provides that same feel.
    Townhouse Redecorate · More Info
    User thanked tcox338
  • 11 years ago
    a line of art wall to wall as Houssaon suggested could work to.
    Zack Residence · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Need more pictures.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for your advice. @nnigrt/houssaon, I guess I failed to mention there is a raised tile floor (about 3' x 3') in front of the patio window/door so I can't move the love seat any further away from the wall because that will cause the sofa to be off-balance. The feet of the love seat are literally right next to where the tile floor is. I can't switch the sofa and the love seat because the sofa will overlap with the tile floor and possibly block the door. I can't face the two away from the walls because there won't be enough room to sit comfortably. So as you can see I don't have a lot of options which is why I'm so frustrated... @tcox338, so do you think having 3 mirrors right above the sofa and sconces on the left side after placing the plant will look ok?
  • 11 years ago
    A gallery wall is what you need....scan thru Houzz for examples.
    User thanked OldGrayMare
  • 11 years ago
    Center the sofa and bring the love seat up to the arm of it, making the L.....the love seat will not be against the wall and may overlap the deck door some, too, but hopefully the room behind it will still make that work ok.
    User thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago
    my husband says take a sawzall to the loveseat to make it a chair. which is why you never ask your husband for advice.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi. Won't the L allow the end table to be on other side of sofa?
    or just tuck it more into the corner. The lamp will be ok there?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, I am guessing the end table can go on the other side, by the wall. The arms can over lap a titch when the love seat moves by the couch. And having space behind the love seat changes the look of the room since the furniture is not all lined up against the walls.
    User thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago
    We really need a longer shot of this space, and to see the other walls and doors. Trying to make suggestions when you can see only two corners of the room is futile.
  • 11 years ago
    Pull the loveseat over a bit and push the couch back towards it so the arms are closer together
  • 11 years ago
    What is on the other side of the room?
  • 11 years ago
    We have this issue too and actually centered a large picture on the wall, rather than over the sofa. It looks nice. It looked odd centered over the couch because it was over so far too.
    User thanked jcrynk
  • 11 years ago
    What if you moved the love seat over to the other wall? I know there is a window/shelf there but then you can center the bigger sofa. It's also more inviting to be facing an outdoor window.
    User thanked Tracy Caporusso
  • 11 years ago
    Your furniture is too big for the room. If one sofa is smaller move it to another room. Save for furniture that fits. Do not get overstuffed with big arms. Don't spend any money trying to make these pieces work. Save the money for a new sofa that you can center on the wall.
    User thanked leelee
  • 11 years ago
    Using the arch at the top of the wall as a guide, you could try thinking of the wall in two sections: the half on the right with the couch, and the half on the left. You could try centering an arrangement (two of the three mirrors?) over the couch, but taking care that the items also are centered within that half of the wall and don't cross the "center" line. Then for the left half of the wall, you could center a picture/shelf/object that takes up a similar amount of space and balances out the other side, but that doesn't "match" it. For example, you could try a ledge with framed photos of various sizes on it that is about level with the center of the mirrors arranged over the sofa on the right. You also could try the sconces on the short wall to either side of the art. Hope that helps; I'm sure you'll make it work!
    User thanked sharonandmarc
  • 11 years ago
    If it were my room, what I would do is this: 1) place a sofa table or just hang a board with L brackets to act as a sofa table behind the love seat, which will pull it out enough to clear the tile issue 2) pull sofa up to where the front of it's right arm just meets the front of the love seat's left arm 3) put plant in corner 4) chalk paint the little table a lighter color like in the painting like white or off white, keep the knobs dark or spray paint oil rubbed bronze 5) lamp on table 6) mirrors centered over sofa 7) sconces to left of cut out, with Aqua candles in them 8) choose accent colors like Aqua and off white taken from the painting for pillows, candles and a large area rug. I would also find some rathe large candle holders and vases and other things from nature to style the sofa table, the little lamp table and the ledge of the cut out.
    User thanked pjfoelker
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Pictures scattered not lined up or centered would be my choice. I have a odd shade room to work with too and find that the fun in decorating these types of rooms is to make it your own style with pieces you love.
    User thanked Value Blinds and Shutters
  • 11 years ago
    here a suggestion. first move end table out from between sofa and love seat, butt sofa and love seat at 90 degree angle. put the three mirrors behind sofa, or change and put pic behind sofa and mirrors behind love seat. Next consider painting the wall to the right of sofa a soft aqua to pick up color from pic. put wall scones on that painted wall. you could paint the end table aqua/turqoise to pick up the color from painting/or put mirror on the front of the drawer, or just paint sides and leave top brown. Get some toss cushions of different sizes and shapes. plant in corner would be great if large enough. end table at other end of sofa w/lamp on it. wooden block could act as a small coffee table
    User thanked Evelyn Davis
  • 11 years ago
    Here are 360 photos of my living room
  • 11 years ago
    more photos
  • 11 years ago
    As you can see, due to where the entertainment center is placed I have no choice but to put the sofa against the right side of the wall. If I move the sofa to the center of the wall to make the L it will look strange since the entertainment center and sofa are not lined up, if that makes sense. So those of you who suggested to rearrange the sofa/love seat it is not possible due to the layout of the living room. And the coffee table is just temporary. I'm also not sure how to place that rug.
  • 11 years ago
    Evelyn, this is a rental so we can't paint. I'm also not going to have a lamp since we have plenty of lights in this room, instead I'll have a tall plant in the left corner.
  • 11 years ago
    The tile is under those foam alphabets.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Do you have room in the dining room to place the two side pieces of the entertainment center? Then the opening would not be blocked and you could place some fun dining decor on them. No reason to move the tv part at all.

    Would you be willing to only use part of that rug?
    Or make it fit under the cute little blue table, too, to designate the play area in the room? Then turn the other rug the other direction and still just try moving the love seat up and let it sit a bit on the tile.

    The couch could move up some more, too, as it is quite a distance from the tv. Maybe until the back of it is even with that edge of the opening? You could MAYBE put toys behind it in some cute little baskets? Or maybe one of the white side units could fit back there and toys could go on it and then just the other one in the dining room?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, loveseats ... the bane of good decorating. Leave the credenza under the TV but take the two vertical shelves and the bridge to the opposite end of the room. Place the foam alphabet rug and the blue kid's table in the arch it forms on the wall. Fill the shelves with pretty baskets for all the loose toys. Then bring your large sofa and chevron rug forward so they float between the French doors and the opening into the room. Turn the rug the other direction, place the coffee table 18" from the sofa. Sell the loveseat on Craig's List and replace it with two swivel chairs which can sit opposite the sofa, on the other edge of the rug. They can turn to watch TV.
    Tamara Swivel Glider · More Info

    Modern Swivel Sand Glider · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Abbyjean/decoenthusiaste, I don’t have room in the dining room to place the two bookcases and I don’t really want to disassemble this entertainment center as I like the way it looks. The rug is too big to be placed under the blue kids table so it will be sticking out a lot and it will look awkward. I bought it to put it in the living room with the furniture. And I really don't want the love seat to be sitting on the tile because it's not level. And I don’t want to block the arch since that's the hallway and front entrance. I wish I could move the sofa but since the tv is 50" I don’t want to watch it any closer than where we are. And since we have a toddler by bringing the sofa forward it will limit the amount of space he can run around and play. We'll probably end up selling those sofa/love seat but not until we stop moving in several years. So we just have to work with whatever we have right now to make it work. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult but like I said this is the only arrangement I can do with the limited layout and space of the living room. I appreciate all of your help and advice though!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the TV is on the wrong wall.
  • 11 years ago
    If the TV is on the opposite side of the wall we can't put 2 sofas since there is the opening to the dining room.
  • 11 years ago
    Put the entertainment unit on the current sofa wall, put the seating where the entertainment center is now. Then you only have one wall to decorate, no floor issues to deal with, and the room will feel more open since you won't be sitting in a dark corner.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    OK, then I say go ahead and center the mirrors with the couch and the plant in the corner will balance out the couch and the wall. They should take up 2/3 of the space behind the couch and not hang more than 6 inches from the back of the couch. Yup.....gotta bring out the measuring stick.
  • 11 years ago
    The sofa and TV don't have to line up. Put the TV on a swivel base.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    One more thought as I just saw the light....what about switching rooms and make this the dining room and maybe play area and move the couch, love seat and tv in to the dining room. The table would go under the light and the little table could move to the other end under the rug. This rug could even stay in the room for under the table. Have no idea what the dining room looks like, but wanted to throw this out there.
  • 11 years ago
    I can't switch the rooms as the dining room is not big enough.
  • 11 years ago
    Swap the love seat to the wall opposite it. Move the couch down and place a table in the corner between them. Get a square upholstered ottoman to replace the coffee table. It can be placed on the wall by the french door and moved when needed. I personally hate overhead lighting, but regardless, I would put a lamp on the table between the couch and love seat for height and decor in that corner. A plant can fit on the other end of the couch.
    This will make the couch more centered on the wall and the love seat have more room and not have to deal with the tile.
  • 11 years ago
    Sounds like we're finished here, kids!
  • 11 years ago
    I would float the sofa away from the wall and closer to the bookcases and then see if the loveseat will fit.
  • 11 years ago
    Two things I see. The entertainment center is an albatross, does your child not have a bedroom? Put the entertainment center in storage until you have a suitable home. Use that coffee table for you tv, get rid of all the kid clutter and you will have so many options for YOUR living room. You child can bring out one, two or three toys at a time and play on that lovely rug.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi, I have got an idea for your wall, you can play this large space with a triptyque wall art here :

    http://bit.ly/1DZoHkR

    If you don't like i can show you other ideas !!

    You can check out my work at : http://www.photoforwall.com

    or here on my etsy shop

  • 11 years ago

    Please not that an arrangement is centered on wall not above sofa.