Software
Houzz Logo Print
wsean

Exterior color scheme for stone Tudor Revival?

11 years ago
We are renovating a stone Tudor Revival home built in the 1930s. We would like thoughts/inputs on exterior color scheme including windows (all to be replaced), half-timber gable section (pictured), front door, and shutters (potentially to be added to the windows on the right side of house).

The stone has a mix of warm and cool tones whereas the slate roof is cool blues, purples, and grays.

We are considering black or gray windows and, to go along with that, charcoal, slate, or navy for the half-timbers and shutters. We like pops of color and feel like the house could be brightened up but don't want to stray too far from historical tones and its traditional character.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    please leave your home traditional Tudor, style ...please do not add shutters...try adding some ironwork and some oversized lanterns and some colorful landscaping ,your home is gorgeous,if you want a pop of color start with the front door,and some flowers or oversized pots
  • 11 years ago
    Hire a designer who is familiar with and sympathetic to your home's history. Remuddling it is likely to dramatically negatively affect it's value. People buy those grand old homes because of the original details, and dont want ''updated''. Unless they are Philistines.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Beautiful home! I live in a city that's filled with homes from the 20s and 30s. I have been trying to unmuddle my 1925 home. It's a lot of work.

    I would agree with Brandi, that adding shutters would be a no-no. But, some homes in my area have very interesting trim around the windows in the color of a copper patina. Just a thin line of it. A little goes a long way. I've been trying to find a picture online to no avail. Keep us posted with your updates.
  • 11 years ago
    Not exactly what I meant. But an example.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I agree. Hire a designer that understands period authenticity and historical context.
  • 11 years ago
    Gorgeous house. For this much work on a very fine house, I'd hire a designer who works on historical properties. That is, I agree with everyone else.

    For color, reworking the landscape plantings might be enough. If your sense of humor lies that way, you could add flags of imaginary (or bona fide) heraldic origin.
  • 11 years ago
    Lighter colors make this home fresh and light
    http://houzz.com/photos/35126
  • 11 years ago
    I owned a tudor revival house with a turret built in the 1920's so I concur with the others, get a good architectural firm who understands period homes. This is one of the most popular style homes and done right it will have very high resale value

    That said, I can tell you from the picture some ideas to discuss with your design firm:

    1. You need new windows, energy efficient but period correct.
    2. I concur with one of the other posters, you could add iron work below some of the windows and put pots/plants in them.
    3. I'm not sure about shutters, but unless they are the 1/2 size of the window and would properly close, they will look ridiculous. That means there is only one or two windows that could support proper shutters, if any. Shutters on this kind of period home must not be "decoration" that looks slapped up on the house.
    4. You need a front patio with proper landscaping.
    5. On the exterior lighting, if you can do it, think gas lights on either side of the front door.

    I'll look again and if I see anything else I'll post.
  • 11 years ago
    I found a photo I kept because of my old house. I hope it helps you!
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Brandi and Sophie - research your home's history and keep it authentic.
  • 11 years ago
    I believe your home is in the Normandy revival style of the 1920's, it is not tudor.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks all. We are definitely planning to keep the character of the home (lest we become Philistines...). A couple of quick responses to some items brought up:

    --We are getting all new windows--updated energy efficient casement windows to replace the original steel casement windows.
    --We are in a neighborhood of other Tudor/Normandy homes and some do have original board and batten shutters which, from what I've read, are historically accurate.
    --We will definitely be redoing all of the landscaping to add color. We like the idea of the ironwork planters used selectively to add color as well.

    Appreciate other thoughts related to exterior colors that are historically accurate and appropriate.
  • 11 years ago
    I'm LOL, philistines! Despite what others said, I agree that you need shutters at least on the right as you face the house. What room is on the lower level right? What about a bay window?

    I really think you need to pull the lightest color in the stone and paint the windows that color. I'll pull a source for the iron.
  • 11 years ago
    Here is a source for some old world things

    www.jackarnold.com
  • 11 years ago
    Here is a photo with the iron on the window.
  • 11 years ago
    another pic
  • 11 years ago

    This home is beautiful! Recognized it immediately. We live in that neighborhood. Welcome.

    Sean McLaughlin thanked bdenys
  • 7 years ago

    Just ran across this...do you have any "After" photos?

  • 6 years ago

    Would love to see after pics. I have similar home