Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristy2

Whorehouse bathroom! Help!

11 years ago
I bought a 1952 custom home, and after doing some work in the kitchen and major work in the yard, it's time to update the bathroom. I'm trying to keep the 1952-country (?) vibe, which you can see in the other photos of the house I included. Bathroom problems: Pink & Black '50's tile (like), '70's metalic/spider wallpaper (despise), crystal lighting fixtures (real glass, high quality, I sort of like them - but don't they clash with everything else?), crystal knobs that go with the lighting fixtures, tub only (NEED a shower to make this a functional bathroom), and '00's flooring selected by a real estate agent with a low budget (gag me), and glued-on vinyl/rubber baseboards (vomit-inducing). When my friends walk in, they tell me it looks like it belongs in a house of ill repute.
Questions: Is there a way to keep the 2 elements I sort of like - lighting fixture and pink&black? How do I get a shower in here? I like this shower conversion: http://www.lowes.com/pd_81051-18701-682003_0__?productId=3193391, but my hot/cold are 7 inches apart, on center, so I can't use it. Anything else I can do, or will this turn in to a re-tiling job? I believe I can match the tile, and can do my own tiling, and my neighbor does plumbing. What color on the walls? What for the floor? Thank you SOOO much for your help/ideas - I don't even know where to start.

Comments (52)

  • 11 years ago
    Also say goodbye to the tile above the vanity and mirror!
  • 11 years ago
    A good start would be to remove the wallpaper. I like the vanity and tiling, but hen I'm a retro person who appreciates vintage.
  • 11 years ago
    I can't speak to dealing with the shower but the only think I think you should keep is the tile if you love it. I would go more minimalist for lighting - the crystal looks almost Victorian.
  • 11 years ago
    I can not see the floor in your pictures. I would give the console a new crisp white paint job. Strip off the wall paper and try different gray shades next to the tile. A true ash gray might look nice. Maybe a classic octagonal white tile with grey grout for the floor? Can the back plates of the crystal knobs come off? Perhaps also paint the mirror frame a glossy black? As for the shower conversion, Im sure someone on Houzz has a good idea!
    kristy2 thanked ShoeBaroff
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The shower addition will mean retiling up to the height of the shower line( w cement board). You may need to go in from behind to adjust for new faucets, and replace the tiles involved there, as well. Though you may plan to keep the pink tile at the tub, I would reconsider its use on the sink. A more common sight for a vintage redo would be to tile the remaining walls to just under the window ( that is a lot of pink). This site has a number of pics to gain suggestions from, as well as this link:retrorenovation.com.

    I think the light we can see will be a fine accent here, once the foil paper is down; you may wish to play up the bronze accents with similar bronze sink fixtures and dark counter to keep this in the country, rather than midmod vein.
    Also in keeping with country styling would be gingham in a deeper pink for windows or shower curtain ( If you find 2 shower curtains, only 1.5 is needed for your tub, leaving the other half to make a window cafe from), cabbage rose for a bath mat, B/W checked or hexagon floor tiles.
  • 11 years ago
    Do a double wraparound shower curtain like you'd do fo a freestanding tub. That is the only way to get a shower into the bath witbout ripping the tub and tile apart. You can't find that color tile anymore except in salvage shops.

    Ripping the wallpaper of is a complete no brainer. Start there, and marvel at the massive improvement that even upainted walls will have over what's there.
  • 11 years ago
    To tile the wall for the shower, you would need to strip the wallboard down to the studs and put up cement board, otherwise you run the risk of water damage down the line. You would need an L-shaped shower curtain rod or glass-enclosed surround to keep water from going all over the place. (hitting the toilet, for example.) I would even check the wallboard under the existing tile to make sure there is cement board under there, too. I don't think it would really be a DIY job, unless you have done this type of reno before.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Strip the paper, replace the floor with a retro look small white hexagonal tile w grey grout. I would keep it all white, clean and simple. Keep pink and black tile, decide on handles when done, but I think they will look good. Can't see sink, but I like something period appropriate and white porcelain if you can. If it's already retro , keep. If it's country and wood, replace or paint white. Paint walls a pale grey, add crisp white crown molding, white towels with black monogram, collection of silvered mirrors on wall, white toilet seat and cover..... Have fun!
  • 11 years ago
    I love vintage bathrooms! Im glad you want to stick to its roots. Having said that, to create that look depends on your budget. I would suggest a black and white floor in porcelain or marble. Keep your pink wall tile, or replace with white subway tile in porcelain or marble. To keep your swag lights, have an electrician raise the power source so that you can add a larger mirror. To achieve a shower, add the vintage curtain rod system as pictured below. If you choose wallpaper over paint, I've included an option to go with your colors.
    kristy2 thanked jwinteriorswendy
  • 11 years ago
    Kristy2, you are my kind of gal; tell it like it is!! The Whorehouse bathroom, I think has lots of potential. I am only an enthusiastic amateur decorator, so I can't advise you with regards to plumbing or mechanics. But, ahem, for the decor. I love the 1950's pink!!! I would remove that wallpaper.... Then I would paint everything walls, ceiling and vanity a soft blushy pink. Farrow and Ball Middleton Pink would be my first choice. The vanity can be painted in the full gloss the walls and ceiling can be matte or semigloss. Keep those pendant lights and get a sliver framed mirror to replace your current clunker. For the floor, I would do the very traditional octagon tile suggested by ShoeBaroff above, incorporate a black border in the design to tie in the original black tile already in your bathroom. This type of tile has been around for years and was very popular in the 20's and 30' s . Nate Berkus uses it all of the time in his renovations. It is a timeless classic. I know the all the pink seems a bit much, but Martha Stewart did an issue devoted to pink several years ago. She did her whole guest house in pink; it was beautiful! Google and if you like the look; use it for inspiration for the bathroom redo.
    kristy2 thanked Lynn Baldwin
  • 11 years ago
    I love the pink and black tile and there is nothing wrong with the fixture. I would, like others suggested start by taking down the wallpaper. You can still use the bathroom during and after this and this will give you a chance to look at it without being visually bombarded.
    kristy2 thanked Karin Dc
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I am just going to come right out and say it: there is something glorious about your black-and-silver wallpaper and crystal light fixtures. I imagine the woman who installed them as a suburban Scarlett O'Hara, living in her country home but setting her chin and murmuring "Well, fiddle-dee-dee, in this bathroom, as God is my witness, I'll always have Tara." You have to give props to that kind of stubborn.
    If it's not going to reduce their value, I'd use spray paint (gasp!) to make the decorative bottoms and chains silver/chrome so they match the rest of the fixtures (they look brass right now) and then contemplate your next move.
    Scarlett probably always took baths, but reality is that if you want a shower out of that tub (and who wouldn't?) you are probably going to have to lose the pink/black surround unless you want to do a sit-down shower. Personally, I hate those sit down shower things, and know very few people who like them. So, you'll want to put tile all the way up, for a proper shower. I think you might be able to figure out a way to grandfather in your current faucet arrangement and add a shower spigot/valve. Maybe you could figure out a pink/black/silver tiling option, with textured glass doors to sort of coordinate with the texture in the glass fixtures? If you can do your own tiling, maybe you can figure out a mosaic with some textured glass tile included in the mix...
    If finances are an issue, you could build the tiling/shower to accept a shower curtain that wraps around, but I think having a glass enclosure would be nicer.
    The flooring and vinyl baseboards must go--they are the kind of thing that make houses weep with shame.
    And, what studio 10001 said--the practical eccentrics at retrorenovation.com would be a good bunch to talk with about how to make this room work.
    In the end, it's possible that you'll get rid of the wallpaper and lights--you're right that they're probably a 70's addition and your job would be easier if they were gone, but in the meantime, you may as well have some fun with your "bordello bath!"
    kristy2 thanked Sightlines
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Faefrog, I did not even think about a wall between toilet and tub, which would be a great idea and separate the toilet almost into its own space. Also, the mirror in the picture you posted is awesome.
  • 11 years ago
    If you want to keep the retro look of the period of the 50's, I don't think hex tiles would be it. I think staying with a jumble of little square & rectangular tiles are more in line. Wow, white, pink & black (add gray to the mix). Remove the wallpaper 1st as all have said. Removing the floor wall & tub tiles will be a huge undertaking as they usually used wire mesh & inches of cement. Talk about a sledgehammer job. Talk to your plumber friend first, (after removing the wallpaper) & go from there. Massive undertaking either way you go. Good luck, have fun & I hope you are in shape.
  • 11 years ago
    I'd start fresh.

    I am generally in favor of saving vintage bathrooms, but when you take out what you dislike, it only leaves a few rows of tile around the bathtub, plus the sink and counter top. Most vintage baths have lots of tile which would be worth working to keep, but you just have to little of it.
  • 11 years ago
    I would remove the fixtures you like and gut the rest. The bathroom was canibalized before you got there. There is no hope. I would suggest that you use the same square tiles in colors you like. a mint with black, black & white.

    http://products.daltile.com/documents/salessheets/DT_NaturalHues_SS_1307.pdf

    [houzz=
    Yellow House · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Residential Design · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Santa Barbara Dutch Colonial · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    Here's a better photo of the light fixture. I draped a towel, so it doesn't get so lost in the wallpaper. The bottom part that looks kind of orangish is actually rusty. The 4 thingies hanging off the bottom are glass, not plastic.
    For the knobs, the back does come off. I think someone spent a lot of money on these. The knobs and backplate are super-heavy - definitely not plastic. I tried putting a knob on without the backplate, and it's possible.
    For the tile, B&W tile in Los Angeles will probably be able to match this, or come very close. In my kitchen photo, I tiled the peninsula with new B&W tile; the counter against the back wall is original 1952 tile. No one who visits can tell the difference.
  • 11 years ago
    More info:
    * Distance between edge of tub and edge of toilet bowl is a teeny bit less than 10.5 inches. No wall.
    * Here's a better pic of a light fixture. The orangish part below is actually rusty. The four dangly things are glass, not plastic.
    * Here's a close-up of the knob and back plate. I think they were expensive - the back plate is super-heavy, and the knob is glass, not plastic. The knob can be attached independently of the back plate.
    * I'm pretty sure I can match the tile. B&W Tile in Los Angeles makes '50s colors. I used their yellow tile on my new kitchen peninsula (2nd posting, above), to match the original 1952 yellow tile on the back wall. No one can tell the difference, even when I point it out.
  • 11 years ago
    Like the knob w/o the escutcheon.
  • 11 years ago
    Get rid of wallpaper. If you want to keep the tile. Work around it. Get a black roman shade for window. If neighbor is Plummer have him Install, for shower with a hand held. Lowes sell. Floors don't look bad. Get a vanity in white with a black granite top. Get lights for over mirror, ck lowes. Get a mirror in black. You could put shower doors, don't go clear, get one called rain. If not in budget go black shower curtain. A pink and black rug for in front of sink.
    kristy2 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Is no one offended by "whore house bathroom" for a lead in? Research 1950's. Post WW 11. America was recovering.
  • 11 years ago
    Paint walls a very pale pink. Get samples first.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry just saw pics of vanity keep but lose the tacky lights do a bar type in black over a mirror you hang on wall. Vanity is retro keep as is. But replace knobs to a black.
  • 11 years ago
    Decisions so far:
    * The wallpaper goes. (Sorry, myexecutiverange, I know you loved it, and your post had me rolling, but it's got to go.) I'll replace it with white, pink, or gray paint - don't know which yet. After taking off all that metallic wallpaper, I can't imagine wanting to put more up.
    * The floor goes. (You can see it in post 1, pic 1, and in post 2 pic 1.) It's vinyl in some weird gray-blue flagstone pattern, and it just adds one more element of chaos in this time-travel mish-mash. It would look lovely in someone else's bathroom. I would like to tile, but I'm not sure what will work. I don't feel like checker-board fits the feel of the rest of the house. I do like the idea of hex, but isn't that more 40's? (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Did they tile in anything other than b&w checkerboard in the 50's?
    * I can't put a wall between the tub & toilet. 10.5 inches clearance.
    * The tub & surround: jwinteriorswendy suggested a vintage curtain rod system. Does anyone know where I can get one that works with my current plumbing? That would be most cost effective, and I wouldn't have to delve into the nightmare of what's going on with the plumbing (the hot & cold are reversed, and the spacing is ...odd), nor (I am confident) the lack of cement board under the existing tile. I'm hesitant to plan a glass enclosure - it would require I tile all the way up, and anyway, it's something I can add at the very end, if I have to re-tile. I'm trying to weigh the cost of a shower conversion vs. prepping and tiling a bath surround.
    * Yes, I love my window, too. But the current (cheap, real-estate guy-installed) blinds need to go. I liked the idea of black, or something in pink/rose. Do roman shades work with the 50's?
    * Lighting fixtures and knobs. A very reluctant good-bye. They're really cool, but you guys are right, and they probably don't work. Anyone want them? I can't bear to put them in the trash.
    * Mirror - needs a new one. Bathroom didn't have a mirror when I moved in, and this was an old Ikea wall mirror I had that's propped up behind the sink. I might be able to paint the frame black, if you guys think that would look good.
    * Vanity: keep, paint white.

    Recap: Questions remaining: floor, tub surround, curtain
  • 11 years ago
    There is a website devoted to the vintage pink bathroom. You might get some ideas from it:
    Save the Pink Bathroom : http://savethepinkbathrooms.com
  • 11 years ago
    Research of both the sites given will answer all your questions. Good luck w your project.
  • kristy2 thanked Nancy Walton
  • 11 years ago
    My grandmother's house had a mint and black tile bathroom that was built in the early 50's. Her bathroom had fancy glass light fixtures, so maybe your's are original too? I think they're cool! If you like them, then keep them!
    kristy2 thanked teenbean
  • 11 years ago
    You cant add a shower because the walls aren't ready for water above the tubs tile. So u would have to have the walls done.
    For the floors rip it out and do wood or at least paint the floors with a cool pattern. For the wall colors i can see light greys or blueish whites.
  • 11 years ago
    If you take a look at the link I posted for the shower curtain rod, you will see that the shower curtain goes all the way around the tub, thus protecting the wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Please post photos after the paper is gone. The wraparound shower curtains work well, though you may get tired of the inevitable curtains flapping in the breeze when showering. Get a good exhaust fan with light.

    Someone else will love the 1960's light fixture. The rusting crystal dingies were probably added for extra glitter by Scarlett O'Hara of the wallpaper.
  • 11 years ago
    You can look for a plain or patterned Marmoleum for the flooring.
  • 11 years ago
    Nix wallpaper. white, black, or gray tile up above the pink and black in the tub, then add shower plumbing (oops, reverse that order). Classic octagonal black white tile on floor. Go with a gray paint or play with the black/white if you want wallpaper. Save money and good old fixtures and elements you like! Maybe paint out the brass to a brown or black to pop the crystal, but I like the silver color myself. When you lose the gawdy wallpaper that will remain a nice sparkly element without overwhelming. Find a cool fifties toilet paper holder or create one yourself to add a sense of humor to the space. Maybe a fifties car?
  • 11 years ago
    but it doesn't fit your plumbing right? Im pretty sure you will have a hard time finding a shower conversion that will work.
  • 11 years ago
    Are you talking about the shower curtain rod, Kurt? It is "Designed for showers with a riser pipe, as with many clawfoot tub showers, this Rectangular Shower Curtain Ring provides floor and wall protection as you wash." From the Signature Hardware site. So Kristy would have to have a shower riser pipe installed by her plumber. Or, alternatively, a hand-held European shower installed. Can be done.
  • 11 years ago
    thats not a claw foot tub though..... do u have plumbing access besides through the tile?
    kristy2 thanked Kurt Eisenburger
  • 11 years ago
    I will post when the wallpaper is gone, which will be in a while because it's going to be a long, slow job. UGH! Metallic doesn't come off easily.

    Plumbing only goes thru the tile, as in post #1, pic #1. Faucets are about 7" on center, and the hot & cold are reversed. Do you think I could do any good by breaking into the wall above the tile? I've seen those 360 degree shower curtain rods without the plumbing attached.
  • 11 years ago
    Oh my- it does have a rather bordello feel, doesn't it. While I personally like the wallpaper, it doesn't really match the style of the rest of your lovely home. That being said, it could work if everything else was minimalist, white and neutral. The floor is def too busy with the walls as is. Good luck
    kristy2 thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • 11 years ago
    If you are keeping the pink and black tile, then you have to go back to the little bitty tiles.
    In a previous house I had the mint green and black :)
  • 11 years ago
    I have one of those clawfoot shower risers (my only bath, 105 years old) and i think it could work here if you replaced the existing faucet. You can buy them without the shower ring. But losing that face of tile would not be a deal breaker to get your plumbing as you want it.
  • 11 years ago

    Dishwasher


  • 11 years ago

    Don't change a thing! I LOVE IT!

  • 11 years ago
    I think you could get one of those oval shower curtain rings meant to go over claw foot tubs and a telephone shower to attach to spout. Look for vintage renovator catalogs. Good luck stripping that wall paper and retexturing. I would paint mirror frame black or same as wall paint. Looks like you have room on either side for small mirrored medicine cabinets or get a larger horizontal mirror.
  • 11 years ago
    Honestly, I try so hard to to NOT just state my personal preferences, and to provide suggestions, or my experience with a similar issue. But I have to suggest here that you gut the bathroom. You'll bring it up to code, plumbing and electrical, handle any mold issues, and can bring in modern fixtures while keeping the crystal lighting, and using the pink/black color scheme. You probably can't remove the wall paper without damaging the dry wall behind it, and you can't paint over it easily because of the metallic finish. If you're careful, you can remove the tile and reuse it. I think any thing else will just be a mess. It is a good sized, proportional room, and it can be a lovely modern bath with that retro vibe you love. But it will take more than paint!
  • 11 years ago

    Any updates since original post in February 2015?

  • 11 years ago
    I love the vintage tub & fixtures! Your plumber friend should be able to help with a shower head. You might opt for a hand held sprayer option. A custom curved rod to follow the tub contour with a quality drapery weight fabric for the outside could give you the opportunity to work with the pink/black theme. Wallpaper must go! Depending on the condition of the wall, a simple white to match the color of the tub would be my choice. As for tub surround, I try to avoid as much grout as possible because I hate mildew. What about a solid surface material in a matching white. Top it off with a Venetian mirror for glam.
  • 10 years ago

    OOOOOOOO!!! Hollywood regency! I'd preserve that. Of course you bought the house so you need to be happy with it. :)


  • 10 years ago

    Please post an update?

  • 10 years ago
    Yes please, post an update.......pretty please?