Software
Houzz Logo Print
tonelab77

thermostatic valves keep going bad

11 years ago

I have a double shower with exposed plumbing fixtures. I have needed to replace the thermostatic valves in both approximately every five months, because the temperature becomes either too cold, or too hot and the temperature handle doesn't change the temperature when adjusted. I have soft water, so I don't understand what the heck is going on. I've tried the vinegar/water 50/50 thing but it doesn't cure my issues. These valves are $275+ each! I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of putting in non-thermostatic fixtures, but would hate to have to do it and any demo'ing to my perfectly good shower. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (10)

  • 11 years ago

    This sounds like an instillation problem, or a problem with the controls inside the valve. Have you had a plumber examine them?

    What brand is that?

  • 11 years ago

    What brand is the faucet, and have you contacted the manufacturer regarding the failures?

  • 11 years ago

    It's a Sigma "Butler Mill". When we bought this house in October 2013, both shower valves didn't function properly. I finally caved in and bought two valves, costing over $500. Once installed, everything worked normally for about five months, then the issue returned on the valve that we primarily use. I contacted Sigma and provided them with the receipt and they sent me a replacement valve. Installing the replacement valve, once again, restored normal function. Five months later (like precision Swiss clockwork), and the issues have returned...AGAIN. I contacted Sigma again, but my warranty just ran out, so they won't replace it, and have no insight for me. I refuse to continue the cycle of buying and replacing every five months. Any ideas would be great.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sigma Butler Mill

  • 11 years ago

    Here is This Old House's review of the Sigma company. It may talk about where they get the valve, I did not have time to read it. I hope you find it helpful in some way.

    Thanks, Enduring, for posting the article from TOH!

    Here is a link that might be useful: TOH review

  • 11 years ago

    Have you tried draining the sediment from your water heater? We had a problem with our shower also that was caused by a water heater that had never been drained. When we did drain it, a whole beach came out of it!

  • 11 years ago

    Looks like a Butler valve.

    The "vinegar, water, and 50/50 thing", does that mean you pulled the cartridge, flushed the valve body, cleaned the screens, and reassembled? And you're still having problems?

  • 11 years ago

    I haven't tried flushing the water heaters (I have two connected together), but this sounds like a good idea.

    I did pull the cartridge/valve out to soak it in 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar, and to clean the screens, but the issue remains.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sigma Butler Mill Instructions

  • 11 years ago

    Our Kohler thermostatic valve went about 8 years before it started showing signs of clogging on the hot water side (water started getting progressively cooler as time went by). A soak in CLR helped for a while but eventually we did need to replace the cartridge.

    In our case the problem was residue buildup, and like you we do have a water softener. In your case you should be able to just replace the cartridge rather than the entire valve, which should save you some money. You might also want to look into a sediment filter or screen at your water softener loop.

    Worst case, get a valve from a manufacturer with a better warranty. 5 months sounds really short - I'm used to warranties being anywhere from a few years to lifetime on plumbing fixtures.

  • 11 years ago

    It doesn't look like the cartridge is replaceable. A sediment filter sounds like a good idea.

    How can I use a different valve with my current fixture?