Software
Houzz Logo Print
twochicklets

desperately need a light fixture consultation!

11 years ago

Hi All! Please help me to add some "jewelry" to my dining room and family room. There are open to each other and to the foyer and kitchen. I am looking to replace the pair of ceiling fans with matching fixtures and a chandelier for the dining from. I am stuck between edgy contemporary and arts and crafts/hill country. UGH! What would you talented people do?

Comments (26)

  • 11 years ago

    pic # 2

  • 11 years ago

    pic # 3

  • 11 years ago

    You have a mix of styles so I'd suggest something transitional. If you use the fans, I wouldn't get rid of them. With the high ceiling and the fans being a light color, you hardly notice them.

  • 11 years ago

    The only thing I would consider is to NOT add more curves in your dining room. Between the area rug, the chairs, the buffet/hutch, the entry archway and the mirror (any chance there is another home for it somewhere else?) the room has hit curve overload.

    (for me the pics are all sideways)

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you. We don't use the fans, so just want to add some character. Also, I'm looking for help deciding on finishes and style, not "toss your mirror" hahaha!

  • 11 years ago

    I could not fit all of the crystals in this mock up but will give you the link. I think this would be a good contender.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Chandy

  • 11 years ago

    Here is another mock up, maybe not the perfect light may you ideas?

    Here is a link that might be useful: Chandy Link

  • 11 years ago

    With all the pot lights/cans I would be tempted to invest in lamps instead. Your ceiling is a work of art--why compete with it? You could removed the fans and be done! For the dining room I would go with crystals--no drum. I am not a fan of those flat utilitarian drums in the dining room. They just have no personality!! Your furniture would coordinate nicely with an ornate, crystal chandy.

  • 11 years ago

    blfenton, there is a plugin you can download to rotate the pics, but the easiest way to view is just click on the pic. It should open in a new page.....rotated correctly.
    twochicklets, I'm not sure I would add a light fixture once the fans are removed. I like the nice clean lines of the ceiling and instead of more overhead lighting consider adding more lamps around the room. Do you need more light over the sofas?

    Do you have some favorite chandy's you're considering for the dining room? If so, post them here and we'll vote on them. : )

  • 11 years ago

    annz, the sideways photos do not correct when I open them in a new page. Maybe there is a setting on my computer to make it work, but I don't know where it is located. The new page rotating worked on my other computer, but not this newer one.

  • 11 years ago

    If you use Firefox, install the add-on linked below. It works well on my pc.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Rotate and zoom

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Your current fans work well to not distract attention from a beautiful coffer ceiling. Changing the fans will only distract attention from the ceiling. Same with the dining room. There is really no reason to add a chandelier in light of all the great lighting already in the room.

    I don't know if anyone has told you that your home is an architectural gem. A spectacularly detailed contemporary home, which you seem to be fighting with every single piece of furniture & accessories you have placed in the house.

    One of the posters gently suggested getting rid of the wavy mirror and you quickly laughed that off, but their comment, was right on the money. The furnishings, no matter what was paid for them, IMO simply do not complement in style or measure up to the spectacular design of your home. I don't know if you moved them from a previous home, or bought them new, but these rooms deserve a reset, & you don't have to pay for fortune for a well put together home. Just a careful eye, patience.& selective shopping.

  • 11 years ago

    Beverly said it perfectly. I would either leave the fans as they are, or remove them and not put anything there. Your ceilings are beautiful! I also like your rugs.

  • 11 years ago

    I agree that the fans should stay as is, and that no chandeliers be installed. Lamps are the way to go, IMHO. Your ceiling is too beautiful to change anything from the way it is now.

  • 11 years ago

    If it were my home, I would NEVER add overhead light fixtures or chandeliers to those beautiful ceilings - they look lovely as they are and should not be dressed up any further. The fans, if not used, could be removed and simple caps placed over the outlets, but NOT more fixtures added to detract from those gorgeous coffered ceilings! Table lamps could be added, if needed), for individual lighting needs.

  • 11 years ago

    WOW!! First of all, thank you very much. beverly27, I appreciate what you are saying. I'm not exactly trying to fight the style, I am merely trying to use what I already have. I recently moved to this home from a more texas hill country styled home. iron light fixtures, large iron door, iron balusters, stone floor etc. Yes this home is much more contemporary and it is also 1000 square feet smaller. The ceilings are lower, the woodwork is ultra modern and admittedly I had no idea what to do. I had to start by getting rid of 1000 square feet worth of furniture so I suppose a lot of what is hurting everybody's eye is that I kept my favorite stuff and now it is all living with new roommates so to speak. That glass table did not go with those couches, etc. I truly wish I could have started fresh, but I couldn't see getting rid of so much furniture just because the house was a different style. Besides, I have always admired a mix of traditional and modern. So in that regard I suppose I have failed miserably. Its funny, though, because I love this house so much and I am so comfortable here, as is my whole family. The woman who built and designed this house was a minimalist and I appreciate that. I bought this house because I love it. SO now what? I am incredibly overwhelmed with what everyone is saying. We are a warm, quirky family of 4. We want to live in the house, not necessarily be a magazine feature. What would y'all do?

  • 11 years ago

    I’m not objecting to the furniture. It’s yours, you like it and it makes you feel comfortable, so use it! What you might do is put a console table behind one of the couches that could hold lamps, and use the tufted ottoman that’s now hidden behind the loveseat as your ottoman/coffee table - and remove the glass coffee table entirely. It’s too far away from both couches to be of use, anyhow.

  • 11 years ago

    How long have you been in the house? Your previous thread about furniture placement was in October (and by the way you took the collective wisdom of GW and used your love seat to define your seating area). I suggest leaving the fans up through the coming summer--you might find them very useful.
    You could also try the ottoman as a coffee table--that will help you see an alternative to the glass table.
    The home is beautiful, as beverly said, live with it for a while. It has its own character and doesn't need chandeliers to help it.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    twochicklets, all of us are on a budget and can't simply wipe the slate clean and replace everything, but spending money on items that really aren't needed to live in the space, won't bring you any closer to your goal.

    Between the two spaces, I think the dining room can wait for a while. I would concentrate on the living room area. Mixing styles if fine. Not looking like a magazine photo shoot is OK too.

    I would plan to 86 the glass topped coffee table. Replacing that with the tufted ottoman might work temporarily. That pink sofa and loveseat would be the first thing I would consider replacing with something more contemporary. Either a sofa and 2 lounge chairs, or a sectional. Hard to see what else is occurring in the room.

    Any of the modestly priced sectionals shown below would work in your living room and provide plenty of seating.

  • 11 years ago

    Re. the dining room mirror: for me, it screams, "Look at me! Me, me, me!" and distracts from the rest of the room.

    And the issue is not simply the quirkiness, but it's also a bit too large for that piece of wall.

    Is there a room or hallway where it can be the star of its own quirky show?
    ===

    annz, another thank you for the link to the FF add-on.

  • 11 years ago

    This is off subject but in your picture of the tufted ottoman..to the left. I would love to see a full picture of that piece. I love the wave of what I see from this angle. Is it a new piece or an antique? Good luck with your nesting!!

  • 11 years ago

    Again, many thanks! Someone asked, we moved in in October.
    Do you mean this piece arcy?

  • 11 years ago

    this: " If you use the fans, I wouldn't get rid of them. With the high ceiling and the fans being a light color, you hardly notice them."

    buy some fantastic lamps or something instead

  • 11 years ago

    YES!! I love it!! I love that style--I always think "Bombe". I have a jewelry armoire in that style and bought a replacement dresser for a guest room just because. No way does it really "fit" my home--but the world loves a STATEMENT piece!! IMHO. Why not one in each room!! Thanks for the pic. Would you tell me is it a new piece? Where did you find it? I really need a larger home for pieces like this!!

  • 11 years ago

    It's not an antique or anything, the store I bought it from(Gabberts in Dallas) 15 years ago has since gone out of business. I think the manufacturer is Century. I love it also, once at a party, someone spilled a marguerita on it and failed to tell me, when I discovered the sticky mess the next morning the stone top was already etched, still makes me kinda mad but also I smile because it was a fun party!